Do you care what race the business owner is? Did you always care?

I am seeing more information about supporting black owned businesses. There are a lot of articles about it. Websites such as Sephora and Ulta promote them. A blogger I follow shared an article about supporting black owned bookstores.

I love shopping at independent bookstores and independent coffee shops. When I am traveling, I will go out of my way for this. The color, race, sex, of the owner never even crossed my mind. How does a person find out what color the business owner is?

• Author

Interesting. I asked this question in another forum and did not get a response there either.

It is hard to find the race or ethnicity of business owners online. I might not be looking in the right place. All I did was Google it.

Happy Lemming

I don't really know the race or ethnicity of most of the owners of the business, that I frequent.  If I have a good experience at a small "Mom & Pop"; I'll go back and try to support that business.

There is a small Chocolatier/Sundae shop here in my little town.  My girlfriend and I wandered in there one day, so she could have a little treat.  The owner (older gentleman) greeted her as she peered through the glass case at all of his beautiful hand made chocolates.  The owner quickly noticed my girlfriend's "Long Island / New York" accent, as he had a similar accent.  After a brief conversation about New York/Long Island, she realized they were both Jewish and had gone to the same Synagogue (but different years).  They became "fast friends".  After picking out a few chocolates, he offered her a taste of a new ice cream flavor he had just received.  Of course, "V" has never met an ice cream she didn't like, so we also purchased a Sundae for her to enjoy.

Up until the pandemic, we tried to frequent this gentleman's shop.  My girlfriend liked both the Sundaes/Chocolates and talking with the owner.

I don't know if this example is what you mean, but (in the end) my girlfriend is happy, she gets to talk about New York with a friendly gentleman and receives her "sugar fix"!

Ruby Slippers

On 3/2/2021 at 2:58 PM, primer said:

I love shopping at independent bookstores and independent coffee shops. 

I always choose independent/family-owned businesses over chains or corporations whenever possible. Even if it costs a little more, I think it's worth it for so many reasons - it tends to keep money in the local community, service and vibe are usually much better, just a more human experience all around.

Lately my black friends have been promoting their own ventures or other black-owned ventures and I'm being supportive. While my life hasn't been easy, I recognize that I've enjoyed a certain amount of "white privilege" and this is the least I can do to support my friends. 

Edited by Ruby Slippers
  • Like 6
On 3/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, primer said:

Do you care what race the business owner is? Did you always care?

I do. And I have, for most of my conscious life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Minority owned business

Just a note on the title of this thread, above, and the content of the OP

black owned businesses

Equating “black” with “minority” might be common practice in North America / Europe, but in many other parts of the world, what you guys consider “minorities” in your countries are de facto majorities, but still subject to the same racially oppressive dynamics. In Africa, for example, white settler populations are de facto “minorities” but are not oppressed and were the instigators and beneficiaries of such oppression. Likewise with white, settler populations in other places - even while numerically minorities, they are not the marginalised or oppressed that Americans associate with the term “minority”. Given that this is an international forum, it’s worth bearing in mind that we don’t all have the same associations as Americans do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Starswillshine

I prefer to support locally owned small businesses versus large corporations. 

I think the only time I worry myself with ethnicity is when dealing with certain types of foods. For instance, I won't be eating at a Cajun Restaurant opened by a couple from New York. 

• Like 4