Covid and Mental Health

There's a walking trail near my home, and I try and get out as much as I can. A while back, someone erected memorial of painted stones in memory of loved ones lost to suicide. New ones were added from time to time, but lately, the number of them has risen sharply, all dated from the past few months. Some are people my kids went to school with.

There's been a lot of anecdotal evidence like this that show suicide/mental health problems rates are going up. If this really is due to the reactions to covid prevention measures , what can be done to help? A group of us have been reaching out to neighbours and others to check in so they don't feel disconnected, sort of like the Warm Heart Line I used to volunteer with, but I think we can do more.

Any ideas out there? What can we do to show people they are not alone and that others care?

• Like 3
littleblackheart
13 minutes ago, pepperbird2 said:

A group of us have been reaching out to neighbours and others to check in so they don't feel disconnected, sort of like the Warm Heart Line I used to volunteer with, but I think we can do more.

That's such a lovely thing to do!

I was actually just reading this article from the Guardian about how 1 year without hugs can affect mental health, especially for single people or those who live on their own.

I think you're right about suicide rates / mental health issues rising due to the pandemic. I'm very concerned about one of my oldest friends, who has openly been discussing her suidical thoughts recently, and my own mental health is shaky at best. I find myself in floods of tears several times a day and I'm not always sure how to explain it as I'm usually quite a positive, easy-going person.

I've found that people are more and more tolerant / patient with those who are suffering from emotional dyregulation at the moment though, which is nice to see. 

I really like your idea, @pepperbird2.This is the time to check in on friends and neighbours, and not hide your own mental struggles.

I know there is something to be said about keeping a stiff upper lip and pretending like life goes on as normal, but clearly isn't the case.

That's what I want to do more of: cut people slack when they don't seem to be their usual self. When I go out for a walk I go out of my way to smile at as many people as possible and I usually get a smile back, so the positive effect is contagious. This NBC News article explains some of the research done on the positive impact of smiling on your mental health, and it's such a simple thing to do.

So smiling more, and making people smile as much as possible - that's my short-term plan!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Ruby Slippers

I'm not in the best mindset and definitely don't have my usual mojo. Though I love working from home and not having to deal with the commute, it's getting old being alone almost all the time. I visit my parents occasionally, but they're not in the best mood, either, so that only goes so far.

I might try dating again, but I want to lose 5 more pounds first - and since I'm generally not very motivated right now, I'm losing slowly. Hopefully it'll pick up as the weather keeps warming up and I'm more inspired to be more active. I'm not sure how dating in a pandemic is going to work - but I'm pretty sure that when I do start meeting potential boyfriends again, life will get more fun.

Phone calls and texts with friends are my lifeline. If you want to help uplift friends who are feeling blah, just giving them a call or sending a nice text now and then can really help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those of us in the world experiencing winter right now, it's a really bad confluence of depressing things.  I fear COVID for the people I love and myself, I can't go to the symphony or the theater for plays, my favorite jazz club is closed, the sun rarely shines and right now there is ice and snow, no sun for days on end so I'm indoors most of the time - no hiking or golf, and not even walks because of the ice.  

I'm feeling kind of blue and I'm lucky enough to have someone to hug me and hold me.  I've been watching a lot of standup comedy on Netflix so I can laugh every day.  My two cats are also entertaining.  One of them makes a habit of leaving a little toy next to my pillow every day, so I get a smile when I go to bed.     

I think we just need to do our best to keep in touch with friends and family by phone, email, etc. and share smiles and laughter as much as possible.  We need to remind each other of all the good things in our lives.    

• Like 2
  • Author
On 2/9/2021 at 7:21 PM, FMW said:

For those of us in the world experiencing winter right now, it's a really bad confluence of depressing things.  I fear COVID for the people I love and myself, I can't go to the symphony or the theater for plays, my favorite jazz club is closed, the sun rarely shines and right now there is ice and snow, no sun for days on end so I'm indoors most of the time - no hiking or golf, and not even walks because of the ice.  

I'm feeling kind of blue and I'm lucky enough to have someone to hug me and hold me.  I've been watching a lot of standup comedy on Netflix so I can laugh every day.  My two cats are also entertaining.  One of them makes a habit of leaving a little toy next to my pillow every day, so I get a smile when I go to bed.     

I think we just need to do our best to keep in touch with friends and family by phone, email, etc. and share smiles and laughter as much as possible.  We need to remind each other of all the good things in our lives.    

Being stuck at home is not fun, but I've found a way to pass the time. When I was a kid, the sister of friend of mine went missing and has never been found. She's never forgotten her or stopped looking. We decided to try and help other missing kids/persons by putting together brief bios with a photo of them to share on social media. We've done ten so far, mostly using information sourced from the RCMP . Some are parental abductions, other were lost, some stranger abductions.
Depressing, I know, but their families have suffered so much. I couldn't just do nothing.

• Like 1