Timing out and losing posts

This used to be a problem wayyyy back, and then it was sorted. But earlier I experienced it again - I was typing a long reply on a thread in the Politics sub forum, looking up information as I was doing so, so it took a while (the page was open and active throughout, and I was actively typing in it. I didn’t leave it dormant, and I kept getting notifications as people posted replies - it wasn’t neglected 😁). However, when I finished my reply and pressed “post”, I got the “you don’t have permission...” error message which required me to log in again - but, where in the past, I’d be returned to my (unposted) reply, ready to post, this time I was merely returned to the page. My reply, so lovingly researched and carefully crafted, lost forever. 

Has something changed? 

Happy Lemming

I have experienced this, as well.  I've developed a "work around" for this problem.

After I type a long post or PM, I copy/paste it to a word document (as a backup).  And if for some reason I should get that "timed out" / "no permission" message (that you described), I log back in, go to the thread and copy/paste my post from my word document and submit my reply.

I know its not a perfect solution, but that is the only "work around" that I've thought of... and it seems to work (for me).

• Like 3

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. Some questions for us to look into this further:

• When logging in, do you select "remember me?"
  • When returning to the thread, does your post reappear in the editor window?

Drafts of your posts should be stored locally on your device in the form of a cookie. If you have any software on your computer that is blocking cookies, or if something has happened to the cookies you've stored on your machine, you may run into the issues you've described.

You may want to clear your cookies to see if that fixes things for you, and double check any browser extensions or security software you have installed to ensure it's not blocking cookies from us.

If you compose a post on one device and then switch to another, your content may not appear on your second device unless your web browser is syncing cookies between both devices. We do not store your draft posts or threads on our servers, and have no way to access them until you submit them and they appear on the community.

Best,
Paul

Edited by Paul
Added more info
  • Author
On 1/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Paul said:
  • When logging in, do you select "remember me?"
  • When returning to the thread, does your post reappear in the editor window?

It defaults to “remember me”, though I sometimes uncheck that (a security requirement for work stuff, so I’m trying to make it a habit). 

When returning to a thread, my post doesn’t reappear in the editor window, no. 

A new thing that has happened recently is when I click on links people have posted in their threads, I don’t get the site linked, just the LS  page reloading. This happens no matter how many times I click the link. I’ve not tried it on another device (this is happening on my iPad) yet to see if it’s the same on a different device, or different browser, but it’s a new thing. I’ve had to click on internal links (eg from one forum to a subforum, or from a thread back to its forum) twice to get to where I want to go (the first click just reloads the page) for a while now, but this thing with external links is new. 

20 hours ago, Prudence V said:

I’ve not tried it on another device (this is happening on my iPad) yet to see if it’s the same on a different device, or different browser, but it’s a new thing.

We're not able to reproduce the issue on an iPad running iOS 14.3, however, you may want to try clearing cookies and cache and see if that fixes things. Here's instructions on how to do so:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265

• Like 1
On 1/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, Happy Lemming said:

I have experienced this, as well.  I've developed a "work around" for this problem.

Not sure if this helps but every time my devices update, some of the sites/functions act wonky until I manually go through things to reset things. Check settings on your device.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Check settings on your device.

I'm posting from a very old Windows 7 desktop computer.  I'm sure the problem is my desktop.  I promised myself I'd replace this old "boat anchor" the next time it goes down, but it seems to want to live.

9 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

I'm posting from a very old Windows 7 desktop computer.  I'm sure the problem is my desktop.  I promised myself I'd replace this old "boat anchor" the next time it goes down, but it seems to want to live.

The latest windows 10 loves to update itself randomly and frequently. Usually it just rearranges stuff. 

Microsoft is going the Apple route and updating latest versions rather than a new version all the time.

With the iPad, checking the settings may reveal why the sudden changes.

• Like 1
  • Author
18 hours ago, Paul said:

you may want to try clearing cookies and cache and see if that fixes things

Thanks. I’ve been using older ways of clearing cookies and cache from previous iOS versions, so have tried this too. Let’s hope it makes a difference :)

4 minutes ago, Prudence V said:

Seems to be fixed now :)

Great news! Did you do anything or was it magic? :bunny:

• Author
22 minutes ago, Paul said:

Great news! Did you do anything or was it magic? :bunny:

I tried your (linked above) way of clearing cookies without deleting history. It did delete history, but it did also clear cookies. The way I was clearing cookies was from a previous iOS and perhaps wasn’t working under iPadOS 14.3 the way it worked under earlier OS versions. 

thanks for that :) 

but these things are always magic 😂

Edited by Prudence V
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is a continuing problem for me recently and I am getting a bit annoyed.
Tonight typing a reply I got a notification to say there were further replies to the thread, so I clicked the link which took me to a new page.
I then tried to return to my half finished reply to find it gone.
I have done this before to find my reply sometimes replaced with a reply I had already posted previously and my new reply nowhere to be found.
How can I make sure my new half finished reply is always "set in stone" and will not just disappear into the ether never to return

• Like 1

Hi Elaine,

I've had this happen myself, and it is frustrating! Thank you for the very detailed report.

We've reached out to our developers for assistance and have confirmed that behavior is not just us, but other places using the same platform we're using, as well as trying to clear cookies. We've reported the issue to them and are eagerly awaiting a fix.

In the interim, you probably want to avoid replying multiple times in the same thread without refreshing the page and using the "show reply" notification mid-post. This is definitely not how it is supposed to work, and we think something became broken during our last upgrade.

Thank you for your patience while we work through getting a fix!

Best,
Paul

• Like 2
  • Author
On 3/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, elaine567 said:

Tonight typing a reply I got a notification to say there were further replies to the thread, so I clicked the link which took me to a new page.
I then tried to return to my half finished reply to find it gone.
I have done this before to find my reply sometimes replaced with a reply I had already posted previously and my new reply nowhere to be found.

Yeah, I’ve been less than pleased by the reappearance of this delightful “feature”. My workaround has been, before I hit “post” or “see new replies” or anything at all, while typing a reply, is to spawn another tab, make sure I’m still logged in to LS (for some reason, even if you’re actively engaging with the site eg reading, typing rep,it’s, etc, it still times you out from time to time...) and then click on the thread I’m replying to in this second tab, reading new replies or anything in that tab. Only, at that point, will I hit “post” to post my reply, and typically it’s worked. 

If I’ve wanted to include the newer posts in my reply, I highlight the portion of the text I want to cite, click “quote selection”, then flick back to the tab where I’m typing my reply and paste it in there. It’s less than ideal, and does mean I often find a dozen LS tabs open at any point, but it saves the blood pressure from doing naughty things. 

12 minutes ago, Prudence V said:

“see new replies”

You can ignore it with the x in the corner and it saves all this trouble. 

• Author
Just now, Wiseman2 said:

You can ignore it with the x in the corner and it saves all this trouble. 

🤣 *You* can ignore it, but some of us are curious....

53 minutes ago, Prudence V said:

🤣 *You* can ignore it, but some of us are curious....

It just shows up after you post. Then you can edit. Solves the problem without any extra steps.

• Like 1