Why not to be friends

beaverhausena98

A while ago I met someone and we had a perfect first date with a lot os clear references from him about a second date. We both really enjoy each other and he said he doesnt usually feel this conection with people. Ask him out on a second date, the first one he asked me out. He seemed excited with that. The time line goes like this: date on friday, kept talking through text in  a normal way, when it was thursday he said he met someone else after out date and was feeling strongly about it. Don't know if its true, he said it is. Anyway, we didnt have anything so despite finding this a little suspect, its his prerogative that I have to respect. And we spent an excellent time together that he undeniably liked, as he said so. I said we should be friends and go out like friends. He agreed in a weird way that I don't know how to read. I feel like he agreed to be polite. I personally think its great to be friends with someone I had a great time and enjoy talking to, but friends told me that this is not that common and I'm having a hard time to understand this behavior. What do you think?

Cookiesandough

Maybe he doesn’t need a new friend. I mean, you  think the date was perfect and there was a amazing connection, but that’s your perspective. He may have said that to be kind, but I feel like if there was a strong connection like that, it wouldn’t have all disappeared after meeting someone else a couple days later. I’m guessing he just wasn’t feeling it enough.  And since he was looking for romantic partners, , not  new friends, he just thinks it’s best to move on. 

Edited by Shortskirtslonglashes

I tend to think the same.   The only issue I have is despite having the best intentions to follow up with a women met as just friends, it is hard logistically especially if still searching for someone.   Now if she shared a hobby, it was easy to meet up, etc. then sure.   

Some men though just don't know how to have a female friend, it just doesn't jive with their model of the world.