Twins and Individuality

major_merrick

major_merrick

My twins are 16 months old.  Doing all the usual milestones.... walking, talking, etc.  As they are getting older, I'm wondering if I should make an effort to separate them a bit.  They've been together constantly 24/7 since birth.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm watching my husband's other twins.  They are in elementary school, and are absolutely unwilling to separate for any length of time.  They are fraternal twins (just like mine) rather than identical, so getting one to go to the boys' bathroom while the other goes to the girls' bathroom has been an issue.  They also have been unwilling to have different clothing, sleep separately, etc...  Just totally linked to each other. 

I'm not sure if letting twins stay so attached to each other is a good idea or not.  If it is OK, I'll leave it be.  If not, thoughts on how to slowly get them to be a bit more used to being on their own?  I mean, eventually they'll have to be adults and get married and have their own families....the can't just stick together forever, right?

The other twins' attachment doesn't sound very healthy to me.  They are two people, so they should not be treated as a unit, but as individuals, as you would any other siblings.  It's one thing to put them in matching clothes sometimes or for them to play together, but IMO they should be encouraged to develop individually.  They should have their own beds and their own space.  You should spend time with them individually and encourage them to do things separately.     

• Like 1