Is there such thing as being TOO camera shy?

A friend of mine had a wedding recently. He has a beautiful wife, and him, well, he prefers to remain unseen. A wedding photo was uploaded, and I noticed his face was completely photoshopped, while his bride was stating that he's a photographer and prefers to be behind the camera as opposed to in front of it. Honestly, he's always been covering his face or purposely remaining out of photos when group shots are taken, EVEN with his girlfriend (now wife). Usually it's partial photos of him in it or something. At first, I thought this was more of a running joke with friends or whatever, but...in a wedding photo?

Is this an insecurity?

Edited by QuietRiot

Maybe, but it is hardly sane behaviour.
I would be concerned that he is one of those guys with a shady even criminal past or he has another family, wife and kids tucked away somewhere else.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

Bingo. 

I knew a woman who was camera shy and it was due to excess emotional baggage - she was involved in a murder suicide and cameras triggered that memory........so she was camera shy.

Some people don't like their pictures taken.  I'm one of them.  Hopefully they do have some good pictures of their wedding day.  If he's not unhappy with his position relative to the camera, you shouldn't worry about it

• Like 1

How was his face photoshopped? Was it photoshopped OUT or to the point of being unrecognizable, or was it photoshopped so that he looked more attractive? Was her face photoshopped as well? 

It could be a lot of things.. Since he's a photographer himself, it could be that he just feels awkward because he's hyper aware of how he's posing and hyper critical of how the photo turns out..

But if he legitimately refuses to be photographed and the wedding photo makes him unrecognizable, I would be pretty weirded out. The only guy I've ever known that outright refused to be in photos (especially on social media) turned out to have a criminal record, was a dealer and was super dodgy with women.

• Like 1
  • Author
5 hours ago, kismetkismet said:

How was his face photoshopped? Was it photoshopped OUT or to the point of being unrecognizable, or was it photoshopped so that he looked more attractive? Was her face photoshopped as well? 

It could be a lot of things.. Since he's a photographer himself, it could be that he just feels awkward because he's hyper aware of how he's posing and hyper critical of how the photo turns out..

But if he legitimately refuses to be photographed and the wedding photo makes him unrecognizable, I would be pretty weirded out. The only guy I've ever known that outright refused to be in photos (especially on social media) turned out to have a criminal record, was a dealer and was super dodgy with women.

He was photoshopped to look like someone else.

15 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

He was photoshopped to look like someone else.

Ok, yea.. that is VERY weird. That would make me suspect that he's actively hiding from the public.. which you normally only do when there's something sketchy or criminal going on. 

• Author
10 minutes ago, kismetkismet said:

Ok, yea.. that is VERY weird. That would make me suspect that he's actively hiding from the public.. which you normally only do when there's something sketchy or criminal going on. 

Right, I was told by one of his friends that it's been a "gimmick" of his. *shrug*

On 11/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, d0nnivain said:

If he's not unhappy with his position relative to the camera, you shouldn't worry about it

Exactly. Why should it matter to anyone else, it's their day.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:59 AM, elaine567 said:

I would be concerned that he is one of those guys with a shady even criminal past or he has another family, wife and kids tucked away somewhere else.

Seems an over-reaction.

Lots of people are sick of intrusive cameras in everyone's hands! I don't think we've got many family photos now, I don't want to live in the past!

The only suggestion I would make is people take a few and start a 'memory book' type thing, if the person gets dementia illnesses later, as so many will now we're living longer, it's a really useful tool for stimulating the long-term memory.

Nope... that's total paranoia, or hiding from the truth. (As above, criminal, or other fam)

I don't like my picture taken because I'm getting old, and I don't like looking at myself.  But, that doesn't stop me from having a picture taken if it's something I want to remember.  (Nice day with the kids or GF)  in that case... the focus isn't me... it's the event. 

He could also be in witness protection.  If he is hiding it could well be he is not a bad guy, but hiding from them.  Or he is an immortal and pics just cause too many problems.