Ex found not guilty of assaulting me

Datergirl

Apparently he is a more convincing liar than I am at telling the truth. He was found not guilty today. It all feels like a gigantic waste of time. 

What if he goes on to do this to someone else? What if he actually kills someone? He choked me and punched me in the face, but, he got off. I just feel like he's got his position of power yet again and I'm left feeling weak and small. 

Edited by Datergirl

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It is not failure or fault on your part. Many predators don't even get reported, let alone face trial, and even then it's hard to get enough proof so they are convicted. You have done a very brave thing facing him in court. Whether or not he does it again is not your responsibility, you have done your part and done everything you can physically do. I know the worst feeling ever is "what if he hurts someone else?" but please remember that that burden is not yours to carry. If he does do something like this again, the truth will out. 

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Datergirl said:

He was found not guilty today. He choked me and punched me in the face, but, he got off. 

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you have a restraining order in place and he has no access to you or any of your people. Keep in mind there is still a record of the incident/arrest, even if he got off this time.

even if he was found not guilty, his reputation is marred and many people with common sense would avoid him!

So sorry for your pain and frustration Op, but you are not weak, and you were never weak, you brought him to justice even though justice failed you, but you were strong enough and stood up for his disgusting acts.

Now try to protect yourself, since he was found not guilty, he might try to harass you or assault you again, if I were you, I would move the hell out where he lives the minute you feels threatened or he tries the pull the tiniest thing! Be on Guard 24 hrs. I mean it!

Edited by Noproblem

As part of the case you have access to victim's rights advocates including counselors.  They can help you deal with the verdict.