Combatting the spread of misleading information on LoveShack.org

NuevoYorko

It's tricky.  Most people who are sharing false or misleading information about the coronavirus are not lying intentionally.  They do tend  present their beliefs  as facts and often  are somewhat aggressive in refuting statements from the most credible sources available to any of us, which are few and far between:  Scientists and medical professionals;  thus, unintentionally participating in worsening the situation.  

I think that this COVID-19 situation needs to be addressed in a more specific way than other topics where misleading information is common.  It's completely current, potentially debilitating to deadly (personally and socio-economically),  and decisions made by people on an hour to hour basis are likely to have a significant effect on outcomes.  

Edited by NuevoYorko
  • Like 3
major_merrick
On 7/4/2020 at 1:26 AM, Ellener said:

Whose truth?

THAT is a fundamental question.  I don't believe that truth varies from person to person.  Experiences and interpretations vary, but there is ultimately "THE Truth" (singular).  Listening to others' perspectives is an attempt to find that truth and either confirm one's own beliefs or further develop them....but when others' views are clearly at odds with a workable way of life, then it ought not be considered offensive to point out why/how what they believe doesn't work.  

Truth is absolute, rather than relative.  Of course, absolute truth is a concept that has been reviled by a lot of people.  

22 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

They do tend  present their beliefs  as facts and often  are somewhat aggressive in refuting statements from the most credible sources available to any of us, which are few and far between: 

When a person experiences something, is it not perfectly valid to state that what they have encountered is at odds with the "credible" and "official" sources?  And if a number of experiences begin to vary from the official line of thinking, then is it not valid to state that the official line of thinking may not be as correct as those in power would like us to believe?

I tire of the attitude that the people who have degrees and government power are automatically qualified and trustworthy and that everybody else has to shut up.  I tire of others simply repeating the government's canned responses.  When the authorities have been caught habitually lying and twisting information, questioning their motives and information has got to be the FIRST thing we do.  I know that is uncomfortable for many, but its time for us to be able to speak without sacrificing truth on the altar of "feelings."  The trend in the US has been the opposite for far too long.

• Like 1
NuevoYorko
Just now, major_merrick said:

When a person experiences something, is it not perfectly valid to state that what they have encountered is at odds with the "credible" and "official" sources?  And if a number of experiences begin to vary from the official line of thinking, then is it not valid to state that the official line of thinking may not be as correct as those in power would like us to believe?

Sure.  State it as a personal experience / opinion / belief and not as a fact.  It would be useful, especially if we're talking about a timely and potentially dangerous issue like COVID-19, if a person who is refuting generally accepted, documented scientific and medical information on the topic would  provide links to the original sources supporting their claims.

Science is not about "those in power" or a "line of thinking."  It can be refuted - by better science, not by politicians, religion or fanciful conspiracy theories.  Actual facts can't be validly refuted by anything.  

• Like 1