Can you get in shape if you're almost 50?

So I’ve been pretty lucky all my life – I never had to diet, never had to exercise, never had to do anything – I was always slim. A US size 2-4.  Sometimes I fit in a zero (at Ann Taylor) ..... 

I bought new clothes all the time. And I always liked the way I looked in the mirror. Not so much anymore, unfortunately. As I’m approaching 50, everything gets too tight around the waist. And I know it’s my own fault: I’ve never exercised. Never liked it. And I also like food and gin and tonics too much for my own good.

I know gaining “midsection” weight is a somewhat normal development after menopause. But I really cannot get used to it. So is there a way for 40- 50-year-olds to get back in shape? Or is all hope lost? Unfortunately I’m one of those women who really really place high importance on looks - mostly my own (I’ve never judged others; to each their own....I actually envy people who are “happy” with their “curves”) 

I just really hate the way I look currently. IN theory, I literally have to get rid of all my clothes right now. They just don’t fit. The reason I don’t get rid of them - yet - is because I’m still hoping that I might get skinnier again. 

My partner never complains, but I can tell that he’s noticing. he’s just way too polite to say something ...... And quite frankly – if he changed the way he looks the way I have changed the way I look, I would probably point it out to him. 

Any suggestions? I know I have to cut out the booze (☹️), and maybe I should go keto. But even if you go keto, you still have to count your calories, or? Sorry for all the complaining – I’m just very frustrated right now!!!!! Getting old is just no fun.

Of course.  

Get an app that tracks your calories.  Learn about portion size & nutrition.  The add more movement to your day.  

Granted I call my fitbit my slug bit because it tells me just how inactive I am but I still get giddy when the fireworks go off at 10,000 steps.  

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 3

Giving up booze is healthy, loads of empty calories and health consequences! If you do keto be careful, I didn't like the effect on my circulation and I didn't even eat all the 'recommended' amounts of fat. I've taken up swimming again, that's really shaping my middle, using foam resistance weights and water aerobic exercises. But just one day of drinking and I feel bloated somehow. I guess it messes with my equilibrium 🤣

• Like 1
  • Author
24 minutes ago, d0nnivain said:

Of course.  

Get an app that tracks your calories.  Learn about portion size & nutrition.  The add more movement to your day.  

Granted I call my fitbit my slug bit because it tells me just how inactive I am but I still get giddy when the fireworks go off at 10,000 steps.  

If I had a Fitbit I would Prolly call it slug bit as well.

thefooloftheyear

You can be in great shape over 50...😛

Age just makes it harder....for some....People fortunate enough to have great genetics don't need to work as hard...It does get tougher for women for the reasons mentioned...If I had to observe one mistake most older women make is that they do too much cardio and not enough resistance training...Even if they manage to drop pounds, they still wind up with squishy/amorphous bodies that they still aren't happy with...Don't worry, you wont "bulk up" ,,,,that's a complete fallacy and doesn't happen with the vast majority of women..."tight and toned" is normally what happens..

Dump the booze, get a weight training program that will get your frame stronger and develop your core.  and mix in cardio to get your metabolic rate up.....Diet sensibly and avoid the starvation type diets..You need the proper nutrients for anything to work...  and most importantly get a full blood workup with a Dr that isn't a putz and knows how to use nutrition and hormone balance to offset the normal ravages of aging...This is particularly important,. because you will still have limited results(or almost no results) even if you do everything right... if you don't have this part of the equation figured out...

Good luck 

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 5

I feel you. It’s so much harder to lose weight. 
I was at my fittest when I didn’t really restrict what I ate, except that I only ate things I made from scratch. I read something that said to only shop around the perimeter of the grocery store. 

I ate potato, Brown Basmati rice, etc rather that not eating rice or potato or other carbs. 
Nothing processed. 

unfortunately I don’t lose weight or get fit only by diet or only by exercise, but I needed both. 
I love weight training. It really kickstarted things for me after doing only cardio for 6 months. 

• Like 4

Are you just looking to lose weight?

If so then a calorie deficit is your best option - which is typically half of what you would usually eat to maintain your current weight.

A more optimal way to calculate how much of a caloric deficit you should be in is by figuring out an estimate of how many calories you burn per day and then subtract your target deficit by 500-800 calories.

Ketosis and following a ketogenic diet is obviously better for longevity regardless of age so I would recommend it.

If you would like additional information feel free to PM me, better yet I can devise a starter comprehensive diet plan catering to your current lifestyle should you need it.

• Thanks 1

You can get in shape until something starts preventing you from exercise.  Like mine started with feet, then hips, then both knees crapped out.  But at 49, I lost a bunch of weight and exercised every day, walking sometimes twice a day, doing either water aerobics or a 20-minute workout three times a week, too.  Increasing it more and more because that's what I have to do because my body doesn't want to lose weight.  I was very active when young, a country girl who ran everywhere, rode horses, and fidgety, and that's the level it takes to ultimately lose weight for me.  

I hiked further that year on my vacation than I ever have before.  And it wasn't long after all my joints started going -- and probably all that walking wore them out, quite honestly.    

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Look up Gabby Reece on Instagram. She’s 50 and looks fitter than most people in their 20’s. Now I assume she has good genes and has stayed in shape all her life. But she has also had 2 kids, which isn’t the greatest for your body I don’t think.

Pay attention to your diet/calorie intake, make sure you’re eating enough protein, and lift heavy weights. Also do some cardio, but I don’t think there is any reason to overdue it. 

of course you can! This is not just to look good, but also to be healthy and slow the aging process! 

get a fitbit watch, join the community and start walking and competing! or just download podometer app on your phone that count steps and walk 10 k to 15 k a day, of course start slow, like walk 3 k a day then increase as you go. 

Eat a more healthy balanced diet and watch your  calories intake. 

Drink less alcohol!

Be constant. 

If you can afford it, just work with a dietitian and a trainer, because they are better equipped to give you the first push!

But in reality, change takes time to be noticed, like at least 3 months of constant exercise and healthy diet. So don't give up the very next day!

Also, don't forget to stretch up before each walk/exercise and listen to your body when it tells you it is tired 

Edited by Noproblem
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 50 and in the best shape of my life. Because I'm now over 50, for my physical this year I had to have a cardio stress test for the first time - cardiologist's verdict was that I'm really fit for my age. I've certainly had my ups and downs, but in the last few years I've arrived at a routine that works for me. 

Totally agree with all the posters here who've said weights are the way to go. I find lifting really good fun, and efficient - I lift five or six times a week (30-45 mins per session). I weigh more now than I did before I starting lifting, but my size is slightly smaller and I'm way more toned and muscular - which I love.

I used to do a lot of intensive cardio, but now I try to do one quick HIIT session (15-20 mins max) a week and a lot of incidental walking. Strolling to work and back is about 4km, I predominately walk to do my chores on the weekend and/or take a stroll around the lake down the road for the pleasure of it, plus I'll take the stairs instead of the lift if I have the time.

As for food, I don't have a specific diet I follow other than I predominately eat fresh foods including a lot of plants. Which is what I like to eat so it isn't a big deal. And on week days I intermittently fast - I only eat between about 6pm (give or take) and when I go to bed. On weekends I eat pretty much what and when I like, including alcoholic beverages (but not to a gross excess). I used to count calories, but not anymore. Couldn't tell you how many calories I have in a day these days, but volume wise I eat a lot and am generally always satiated.

I have to stress that I don't do anything extreme or restrictive. If I wake up feeling like eggs for brekkie before work I have them. If wake up feeling a bit too sore or with a twitch, I skip my weights that morning. I listen to my body. To me it's just about maintaining a lifestyle that I find comfortable and easy and that works for me. I'm sure with some trial and error you'll find a lifestyle that works for you.

Of course you can. Give your self time in the process but stay at it. Don.t expect overnight results. Seen many people change their lives by taking charge of their health and fitness.

SolG has it!  The word 'diet' is a horrible word anymore.  You just need to restructure a bit.  I advocate for HIIT training.  People spend hours 'jogging' for results that I can get in 10min with people.  Also need resistance training.  You really do with age.  Good for way more than muscle tone, it will help your joints, bones, collagen production, etc  

I will say, I probably would NOT advocate for a caloric deficit as mentioned above.  This can cause the metabolism to suppress and you don't want that right now.  I think he is a 20s body builder, and a 50s women needs something different.  Lets start with diet, which I recommend less strict keto, get you doing a form of HIIT training 3x/week if you can do that for about 20-30min/session, and resistance training 2x/week.  That is alternating focus groups of muscles so you would only work one group/week.  

I know lots of people may want to push you hard, but at your age and no real experience, you really need to step in easy so you don't hate it and cause unneeded pain and stress.  Solg has it right, you have to just listen to your body.  This is NOT a race, it is a lifestyle change and you need it to stick without feeling deprived.  

Of course. Everything is possible if you really want it. For better results I'd recommend to find a good fitness trainer, he will give you instructions and will help you to move in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always improve the shape you are currently in or if you're at peak maintain the shape you are in. I have some major health issues related to my lungs and cardiovascular system. The damage to my body is permanent and can not be reversed, if it can be reverse it's very minimal changes and will take years of dedication/work. That said, I started exercising for two reasons 1. to improve what I can and 2. to slow or stop the damage that I've already done. 

In just 1 month I lost 9 pounds, another month or so and I'll be at the weight I was when I was in my early twenties. I went from being in pain walking for 30 minutes, to trimming over 6 minutes off of my 1 mile walking times. I had a difficult time standing for long periods of time, now it's not that big of an issue. My pulse and blood pressure has improved greatly, while at rest and under exertion. 

If you have pre-existing conditions it is important you talk to your doctor about this. You don't want to accidentally over exert yourself and cause a major medical event or injure yourself. 

It is a grind. There will be days you don't feel like sticking with your exercise, that you want rest. You will feel like it's hopeless at times, that you've been doing dieting and exercising for weeks and seen no improvement. But it will happen with time and consistency. You'll start to feel better, you'll start to see the difference. Make sure you're reasonable with your goals and diets. So many people fail because they try to make drastic changes too quickly. They go extremely far with the diet from the start, they might make it a week, maybe a few weeks but ultimately a binge happens and they end up right back where they started. 

If you have to, change just 1 meal a day to something healthy. Once you're adjusted to that, change to 2 meals a day. Make small changes and improvements with the idea being its progress not perfection.