What can I do to be a better schmoozer?

What I mean is schmoozing people into wanting to be the same part of things as me.  I've been wanting to direct and produce a feature film, but it's tough getting people on board with wanting too lately, with covid, and with the recent shooting tragedy in the U.S.

But I would really like to make it, and I am willing to pay.  But how do you get others to want to be a part of it, especially since a couple of others lost interest over the current U.S. events.

Perhaps I just need to be a better schmoozer like other film producers and can just talk other people into doing it more?  Is there any books on this perhaps that are worth reading, to develop my skills more?

From a discussion with a friend who is a successful small screen scriptwriter:  you need at least one respected actor who’s interested. Most producers aren’t willing to take a risk on a bunch of no name actors.    She finds it frustrating because the casting isn’t always appropriate for what she wanted to create, but it’s how filming rolls.   

Schmoozing is not the answer to your dilemma.  

You need a Business Plan.  You want people to finance your project you need to give them the numbers about why it's a solid investment.   

• Author

Oh well I don't know why it's a solid investment.  I mean of course I hope it is, and I hope it's a success, but I can't be sure.  Should I try to find reasons why it will be a sure success then?

Yes.  It's a business.  Until you see it that way you will never convince anybody to invest in you & your dream.  

You have to know you industry.  What are ALL of the costs associated with making a movie: film, actors, locations, permits, props, insurance, lawyers, accountants etc.  What's your time frame?  How will the profits be distributed?  Who is your target market / audience?  How do you plan to market the finished project?  

When you know all of those things & can speak factually about them then you can get investors interested.  People aren't going to just give you money.   The more money you need, the more formal the plan & the pitch need to be. 

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay, well my problem was attracting the cast and crew.  I didn't think that investors would give me me money and that I would use my own, but if I can get more money, that's probably good too.  But I think I need to also hire a producer who can better budget my money with the project than I can.

Edited by ironpony
Ruby Slippers

I'm sure there are good books out there full of knowledge and tips about getting started in the film industry. I think you need to broaden your knowledge base of your industry to give you ideas and support the creation of more detailed plans to create momentum.

There is a free entrepreneur's / business startup mentorship program called SCORE. They will pair you with an experienced expert and entrepreneur in your field who can answer all your questions and provide with you business/project development educational materials, templates. I've met with a few of them and gotten tons of help when starting up my own venture and running it.

Learn, learn, and then learn some more about your industry. Hear what veterans in the field have to say about it. Knowledge is power.

• Author

Oh okay sure, thanks.  I will look that up.  I could also talk to other filmmakers that I helped out as to how they got their first films made as well.  Bu they used all their own money and just talked people into it.  I don't know how they do it and thought it was mostly about charm.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember your thread from a while back and am pleasantly surprised to see you still going. 

Schmoozing is a part of the film industry, even at amateur level I think, so your assumptions are right. You are going to have to get what I call "the hustle" on... treating your script like a marketing tool and using marketing and sales techniques to attract the right people (thank me later!). 

Let's look at the same script marketed by two different people:

Person A:

Writes the script, thinks it's good enough on it's own. Writes a quick synopsis, asks people to be a part of it. Maybe even buys them a drink at a pub. Not enough!

Person B:

Takes same script. Pulls on references from past movies, likens them to his or her script.

Writes kick-a$$ synopsis, using power words, marketing techniques and aims to excite people about it. Draws on famous references to give it some cred.

Comes up with a title design, poster design, logo etc.

Attracts interest through facebook ads. Uses facebook ads to attract actors and crew. Note, you'll need design etc to do this.

Tries to get interviews on community radio etc. 

Get writing and get creative.

Capeesh?

Edited by Soak

No one can teach schmoozing. That's like selling with BS.  Charm.  Fake smile laughter gab. It comes easy or not. Maybe you aren't the schmooze type. But it sure works

• Author

Oh okay, I guess there is also that fear that if you try to BS others, especially ones who have been in the industry longer than me, that the will see through the BS too, but maybe that is a risk I just gotta take?

• 2 months later...

If I was in your position I'd target people who haven't been in the industry for a long time. At least for the acting roles.

The last thing you want is some guy who's 15 year career highlight was playing a corpse on CSI fighting with you for creative control. Because he's been in the business a long time and thinks he knows better.

Local plays, youtube, just going out and about in your daily life. Uncultivated talent and potential is everywhere. You just have to be observant and find it. They found the guy who played Omar on the Wire in a bar. 

• Author

Oh okay.  Well I don't want to go around finding people by accident though.  I think in order to progress I have to be able to put out casting calls, and have a lot more people show up, in order to actually get things to done.  But haven't been able to get a lot of people to show up so far in projects.