Racism and our community

29 minutes ago, carhill said:

No need to PM... see...

https://www.loveshack.org/support/

😐  These posters are addressing issues regarding moderation.   It's unlikely that they are going to appeal to the moderators of the site.  Evidently they've tried that route before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
  • Board of Directors

Greetings all, 

21 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

😐  These posters are addressing issues regarding moderation.   It's unlikely that they are going to appeal to the moderators of the site.  Evidently they've tried that route before.

I would encourage anyone that would like to reach out to do so, even if they may have reached out in the past.

We ask that you please avoid using private messaging to reach out to moderators. Sending us a message via Contact us (or the support link--they both go to the same place) allows for complete transparency between all of the volunteers and to ensure your message is not overlooked if a particular individual is away for an extended period or misses your message. If you do send a private message, we will move your request to the support area.

Using the link @carhill provided is identical to using the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page, and anyone who would like to reach out is welcome to do so. You might notice that after you reach out, you'll see your request in the link provided above, which you can find from the "More" menu at the top of the page.

We are all able to view and respond to your requests, and myself and the other directors will be sure to personally view and respond to any messages regarding improper moderation.

Contact the Moderators for Support

Best,
Paul

Edited by Paul
Added link for clarity.
On 6/12/2020 at 5:10 AM, Libby1 said:

People aren't likely to want to acknowledge biases they have which other people will term racist.  It is, after all, an exceptionally loaded term which over the years people have become very frightened of being labelled with.

Yes, that's why it's no longer enough to say 'I'm not racist', everyone says that now whether or not they understand or listen to another person's experience.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, Paul said:

As soon as one person throws out a hostile remark, it's hard to contain the resulting snowball unless caught early on, and it's overwhelming for the small group we have now.

It's difficult isn't it. I almost wrote something the other day and changed it because although it was funny to me it's hard to gauge if it crossed a line of sensitivity.

Back in the day we were taught 'assume goodwill' and not to be quick to anger or reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
Prudence V
On 6/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, Paul said:

If you are so blessed and privileged to have never personally experienced or witnessed atrocities committed against yourself or others by virtue of simply reflecting some characteristic of "other," then now is the time count your blessings and to focus your attention on actively listening and learning from those who live in the shadows of this reality every hour of every day through no choice of their own.

Thank you for this. 

As someone who isn’t American, I have been driven to despair by some of the attitudes I’ve seen here. Insular, to be generous... but sometimes seriously bigoted. It’s really heartening to know that not all Americans are like that.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Im so glad the forum is moving forward on these issues ...I remember being told that if I wore my hair natural(im a black woman ) it would not fly in corporate america because my hair natural is unprofessional and why would i think that i get "special" treatment because of my skin color. I thought of reporting the post(this was under my old screen name and it was long ago so its water under the bridge the person got banned not long after i became inactive) but this was back when there was one Mod and he was "too busy" to look into everything....so Im glad i stuck around to see things changing up around here...warms my heart.... :)

• Like 1

Oh and lets also not forget to talk about misogyny as well on here because some comments I have seen are coming from a 50's mindset and society has changed quite a bit regarding women. Women are speaking out about their place in this patriarchy and i see it bothers some especially the men ....just putting that out there too :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, siren8272 said:

I remember being told that if I wore my hair natural(im a black woman ) it would not fly in corporate america because my hair natural is unprofessional and why would i think that i get "special" treatment because of my skin color.

My (white) curly haired daughter has read about this online in her 'Curly Girl' hair forums.  I thought it must have been exaggeration because I couldn't believe someone would be so stupid to discriminate against curly hair.   But I believe you.   And I'm so sorry you have to deal with such discrimination on both your curls and race.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, basil67 said:

My (white) curly haired daughter has read about this online in her 'Curly Girl' hair forums.  I thought it must have been exaggeration because I couldn't believe someone would be so stupid to discriminate against curly hair.   But I believe you.   And I'm so sorry you have to deal with such discrimination on both your curls and race.

Thank you for that..and ive read where white women have gotten in trouble for having curly hair  esp in the Jewish community,,,i was shocked...curly hair is beautiful no matter the texture ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1