https://thatspsych.blogspot.com/2015/03/would-hulk-plagiarize.html

I see lots of posts here with 'assertions' of facts but no supporting citation. Often the assertion is false.
Example: 'everybody has herpes'
Counter citation: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db304.htm

Does LS have a policy about assertions and requirements for citations?
If so, what is that policy?
If not, it 'would be nice' if there was one that included heavily moderating posts with unsupported assertions. The problem is the promulgation for false information.

Incidentally what prompted me to post about this at the moment is an off topic 'dispute' going on this morning in Dating between two posters arguing about female fertility as a function of age.

I like to include citations, and have more respect for posters who can provide non-biased citations (esp. from a peer-reviewed publication), a note that the information came from a particular source even if not cited, or at least a link to a popular article that talks about a research result. Of course, some linked articles are opinion pieces so need to be taken with a certain level of skepticism. 

False information is rampant, and often spread by the misinformed and ignorant. I think it is crucial to fight this dangerous trend in every way possible.

It's a discussion forum and every post is expected to be treated as an opinion. There are plenty of academic and professional groups one can join to post research and experimental results using science and academic method.

At the bottom of each page of the forum there is this:

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.

• Like 2

There's nothing more annoying than someone asking you to go digging to provide backup on something that was just on the news this week just because the person asking doesn't keep up and just likes to argue.  Do your own homework!  Before arguing back, do your own looking up if it's that important to you.  You can Google just as easy as I can, and we're not being graded here.

Edited by preraph

As far as site policy regarding citations of external content, it should be from non-commercial sources and any quotes of content be limited to 250 words or less and attributed to the source with a direct link to the content. Also, it should directly address the topic of the thread. What moderation often experiences is a member posting a topic about a particular relationship of theirs and meta-discussions between other posters develop debating semantics of their own posts and no longer focusing on anything in the starting post of the topic, including competing statistical analysis and scientific data. When posting, go back to the starting post and any updates from the thread starter and ensure the content relates to questions they've asked or opinions they've offered. If wishing to discuss off-topic, but interesting, content found, start a new thread on that content. They're free!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Thanks 1