I'm worried about gaining more weight if I get a new job.

So I was laid off my job a few weeks ago, and on the search for a new one.  During this time, I have lost weight which is good since I wanted to loose about 20 pounds anyway.

However, I am afraid that when I get a new job, I will put it back on.  This is what happened the last time I was in between jobs for a few weeks.  I lost the weight while not working than put it back on.

It's cause I work very physical jobs, in fast paced warehouse type environments usually... and all the exercises causes me to burn off more calories compared to when I am not working.  So I get more hungry compared to when I am not working and eat more therefore.  I tried eating less before, but I kept getting hungry on the job, and didn't work as fast as a result.  So I eat till I feel comfortably full, so I can last longer through the day.  But I may have a new job soon and I'm afraid the weight will be put back on.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Suggest you look more closely at what you eat. It's virtually impossible to put on any kind of weight if you're only eating vegetables, for example. But if you're eating sandwiches then expect to pile on the pounds. 

• Like 1

Learn more about nutrition.  Eat things that are more filling like oats & protein that will keep you full longer rather then just stuffing your face with anything until you feel full.  Keep hydrated.  Many times people eat thinking they are hungry when they are really just thirsty.  

• Like 1

You will be burning energy quicker so you need to eat to keep you going,

eat whole natural foods though rather than processed. try to go vegetarian or even vegan 3-4 days a week

more fruits and vegetables and nuts and seeds for snacks,

cut out the sweet biscuits, cakes, heated oils (chips/crisps) and so on,

dark chocolate is not as bad,

• Author

Oh okay thanks, but I do eat lots of fruit and vegatables and nuts though.  I keep trying to eat healthier in a physical job, it's just my body seems to store some of it still.

Choose less calorie dense foods.

Fruits and veggies tend to have low calorie density. 

Lean meats provide protein while not being too caloric if they are low in fat. 

Nuts are extremely dense in calories. 

Start reading labeles. Get an app and track what you eat, you may be surprised by how many calories you are consuming.

For instance I can have a large green salad, lots of vegis, a few ounces of lean chicken - skip the dressing and it will come out around 350 calories. 

But if I had the same chicken and veggies on a sandwich roll, with mayo, I am now looking at 650 calories and not feeling any more full.

Eat carbs before exercise when you have a chance to burn them instead of converting into fat. Make sure to get adequate protein - you need it while working your muscles and it will help keep you sated. 

• Author

Okay thanks.  I'm trying to cut down a lot on the fruit cause it's been giving me diarrhea as I posted about in this thread before:

The vegetables don't seem to be bad.  But once I start a new job there is no way I can eat much fruit for energy on my breaks if I am working and will not be able to deal with diarrhea therefore, of course.

When it comes to exercising, is push ups and sit ups good, or no?

Don't do sit-ups as a beginner. They'll burn almost no calories, gain almost no muscle, be of very little cardio benefit, and when not done correctly can easily cause damage to your spine. 

Push ups are good, as are other bodyweight exercises like dips, chin-ups, or pull-ups. If you have no equipment or gym access, consider a circuits-based routine with exercises like burpees, squat jumps, etc

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  It's hard to do cardio cause I am living in such a small place now with no treadmill or bike to do it with.  But I can stick to push ups and those other suggestions.

Edited by ironpony
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 1:34 AM, Andy_K said:

Don't do sit-ups as a beginner. They'll burn almost no calories, gain almost no muscle, be of very little cardio benefit, and when not done correctly can easily cause damage to your spine. 

Push ups are good, as are other bodyweight exercises like dips, chin-ups, or pull-ups. If you have no equipment or gym access, consider a circuits-based routine with exercises like burpees, squat jumps, etc

Plus most people don't do sit up's correctly.  I would suggest core work plus cardio and above all control what you eat.  Weight loss can be far less complicated than

some try and make it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Oh okay, what can I do for cardio?  I got an elliptical, but I feel my legs being a lot more worked out than my heart.  Is that bad, and maybe the elliptical is just not the best cardio work out?

On 3/22/2020 at 1:26 AM, ironpony said:

Oh okay, what can I do for cardio?  I got an elliptical, but I feel my legs being a lot more worked out than my heart.  Is that bad, and maybe the elliptical is just not the best cardio work out?

There are a ton of cardio workouts available on You Tube.  Just search.  

• 1 month later...
  • Author
On 3/23/2020 at 7:22 AM, Andy_K said:

To get more cardio out of the elliptical, go faster but at a lower resistance setting.

Okay thanks, I've tried this but all the work seems to be going into the thighs and the heart is hardly effected it seems.  I also tried the bike, but again all the workout seems to be going into the thighs with very little cardio.