Loss of sense of taste

Has this happened to anyone else? The dental hygienist applied a topical numbing agent before using the ultrasonic, since I told her I’m sensitive to it. This was yesterday morning and I’ve noticed a significant decrease in my sense of taste since then. Especially with chocolate, which I love. I called the dental office and they said it’s not unusual and should only last a day or two. But so far I haven’t seen much improvement. I’m pretty freaked out, nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

CautiouslyOptimistic
The dental hygienist applied a topical numbing agent before using the ultrasonic

I didn't even know you could ask for that. I hate that thing, too.

I've never noticed a loss of the sense of taste after a topical analgesic. But then I've only ever had it localized to pretty much one spot. I hope this clears up soon! That must be really annoying.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, I think I've had that happen and my sense of taste returned in a day or two. It just takes a little time.

• Like 1
  • Author
I didn't even know you could ask for that. I hate that thing, too.

Yeah, I didn’t know either until she suggested it. But if I’d known I wasn’t going to be able to taste chocolate afterwards, I would’ve opted for the pain.

I’ll wait and see. In the meantime, I’m watching a spot on my arm turn a lovely shade of magenta...