10 Failed Interviews Later

If you find yourself unemployed and you can't get any job, which most people can and just won't, then you should be volunteering so you have something to show you like to work.

My bets on changing the title to 11 failed interviews.

Interviewing well is no different than a good kick serve in tennis or strong opening gambit in chess - it's a learnable skill. You might find the time invested generates considerable return...

Mr. Lucky

What field are you in? General advice is pretty meaningless IMO because priorities/preferences vary widely across various fields. What works in an interview for a sales manager is not going to be the same as what works in an interview for a software engineer, which is not going to be the same as what works in an interview for an attorney, or a lead artist. Your best bet is to see if you can join a mentorship or networking program in YOUR specific field that will give you the detailed pointers that you need.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I have learned to interview well only after I was on the other of interview panel. Now if I get to the interview stage, offer is pretty much guaranteed. So it can definetely be learned .

• Author

Feedback was not enough energy, rambled too much and not enough of a leader. So basically I didn’t kiss their ###, talked too much and didn’t bs enough.

• Author
<<<hugs>>> That really sucks. I am so sorry... hopefully you will land another interview at a better place soon.

Thank you. I have no problem getting interviews. Good on phone screens. It’s just sealing the deal that’s a problem. I have 2 more interviews in person coming up. I have a friend who sucks at getting past the phone screen but when he gets to in person does pretty well. Exact opposite of me.

Exact opposite of me.

That would be me... 9 months in and I have only had 2 face to face interviews and 1 fake out.... tons and tons of phone screens. We can't give up though... we have to keep going forward. I am just not ready to retire yet. I have some good years still and I am super smart at what I do... and I love doing it so forward we must go.

• Like 1
  • Author

I know that we can’t give up it’s just very hard. I work in a very specialized financial field. I’d say I’ve had my resume out to maybe 95% of all the companies in the US that handle my line of work. If the next few things don’t work out I feel like I may have to exit my field. Magically waiting for interview skills that I don’t seem to have even though I’ve tried my best at them doesn’t seem to work.

I hear you. I have even expanded my search outside my industry and still having no luck. I've been advise to cut my resume in half as it is too heavy. It just seems no one is looking for experience. They want youth and call it culture.

This week has been really hard for me. I can't get a job in my current field as a database developer either... even with experience and the right degrees... but my old boss who is my son's age just got a cool promotion into my field... which he knows nothing about! But he will be running an IT department with his political science degree. I am happy for him... I really am... but as I sit here it does upset me. :mad: I am human and I've seen this kind of stuff play out over and over.... yeah it does get really hard.

• Author

I just think it’s kind of funny. I’ve done roles that were probably all more challenging than anything I’ve interviewed for but everyone tells me how I can’t do this or that job. By the way people act you’d think I was incompetent or something. Oh well. Yeah I’ve seen promotions so many times for people who are great at pulling the wool over your eyes. I hope you find a job soon.

• 3 months later...
  • Author

Well after much searching I got a job that finally started last week. It was my consultant job turned to permanent role. I’m still very bitter about the 15 interviews I went on and all failed. But it’s nice to know someone can appreciate me.

The one point I do want to make is maybe people can’t necessarily tell from a interview how well you can do a job. I received two job offers from the company I worked for so obviously I’m not incompetent. But go tell the other 15 companies that rejected me that. 

• Like 1

One interview question that I absolutely hate because it's so irrelevant is, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" I mean, what is that crap! It's not because the recruiter is checking out your long term goals. No one knows where they'll be in 5 years. I had a phone screener interview who asked me that question, and I blew the interview by responding, "I think that question is redundant" and asked her where she saw herself in 5 years. 

'I’m still very bitter about the 15 interviews I went on and all failed. But it’s nice to know someone can appreciate me.'

no point being bitter. If nothing else it's taught you- you can survive rejection. But honestly I think it's a weird area of life and the reason I generally work for myself. I did apply for a job-gig I'd be brilliant at a few months ago and didn't even get an interview!

Congratulations and good luck.

Pleasant-Sage

I struggle with interviews. I get extremely nervous especially if I'm desperate to land that role. It's a personal trait I've not been able to get rid of...even to this day. The funny thing about that is my degree is in HR. Haha

How are you with friendships? Do you make new ones often or not at all?

When I got out of the military, I REALLY wanted to be in Law Enforcement. I passed everything until the oral board and totally bombed the interview because I was so nervous. I now recognize that's not a great trait to have as a police officer. Anyways, during one of my questions, I was struggling to name my greatest life accomplishments. I looked down at my wedding band and said my marriage and two children. One of the members on the panel said that's a fantastic answer. I found encouragement in that response and did very well the rest of the interview but it was already too late. I just took it as a learning experience. I am sooooo glad I didn't get that job now. Couldn't pay me enough to be a cop.

Anyways, I ended having to fall back on my skills from the military. I got an interview through a temp agency for a factory. The temp agent told me to dress nice so I wore a suit. When I showed up, he laughed and said I didn't mean that nice but it will do. His response made me mad but I didn't act on it.

Due to being annoyed by being over dressed, I never got nervous and did excellent in my interview. I took that as a learning experience too.

Fast forward to a few years ago. After getting divorced and moving back home where there's literally not many good jobs. I got an opportunity to work for a company my brother is well established with. This job was the best I could ever hope for. I was scared to death I was going to blow it and it's already a highly competitive place of employment. Everyone wants to work there.

I walked in there with the mission to try and make them my friends or at least make them think "he's a really great person". I answered all their questions well, asked a few questions of my own (to show I was genuinely interested in the job), and made them laugh a few times. I ended getting the job but it was only a contract position for a year with no benefits.

After a year was up, they decided to hire for the job as a part of the company. I hit a homerun with that interview. I couldn't have done a better job but they ended up picking someone who already worked for them part time. I was devastated and once again scared to death.

They had a different position come up. I interviewed for that but didn't get it. A few weeks later, one of the workers moved. I applied for that job and got it.

I recently interviewed for an extra duty within my company. I was slightly nervous in that interview. It's not exactly a big deal if I don't get it but it could lead to better things and makes me more valuable to the company. I wasn't able to 100% give them the answers they were looking for because of the differences between my current job and that extra duty. They ended up prodding me until they got enough information to figure out what they needed to know. I still haven't heard back from them yet about that.

I don't BS either when it comes to interviews. Plus, I am a horrible salesman. The thing about interviews though is you are selling yourself. It sounds like you aren't doing a good job at doing that.

Since you are getting interviews, I believe your resume is good. I read most employers spend an average of 3-5 seconds per resume before they decided to hold onto it or trash it.

Back to the sales person point, typically the first question an employer asks is "Tell me about yourself.". I hate this question with a passion but it still has to be appropriately answered.

This is the first chance you get to sell yourself. You have to remember who your audience is. Explain your work history and tell them why you are the perfect person for the job. You will also have to believe that yourself in order for you to do a good job since you don't BS.

"Well, as you already know...My name is <insert name>. I'm married and have 3 kids (example). I've been working in the <blank> field for the past <blank> number of years. I began my career by going to <insert college> and earned my <blank> degree. Then, I started working for <insert company>. There, I did blah blah blah. Then I worked for...." repeat the process. 

Towards the end, talk about why you are there.

"I applied for this job because it is my understanding that this is a great company to work for. Your company has been around for <blank> number of years and has a great reputation. I believe I would be a great asset to your team."

You want to try to answer as many of their predetermined questions as possible with your first response. You're doing their job for them and they will like that. You're going to want to do additional research on their company. When you brag about their company, they may dig into that further to see if you are just blowing smoke up their butts or actually researched their company. Knowledge about awards the company has earned or positive financial information will support the fact you did research them.

Sorry for the long post and I seen you already got a job but I hope some of this still helps you. Like I said, my degree is in HR. So, if you have any questions...I'd be happy to help.

Edited by Pleasant-Sage
Errors
  • Like 1
On 8/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, MetallicHue said:

My bets on changing the title to 11 failed interviews.

Could be part of the problem...

Mr. Lucky 

• Like 1
Pleasant-Sage
1 hour ago, Mr. Lucky said:

Could be part of the problem...

Mr. Lucky 

While I agree with you, you can't fault him for feeling hopeless after receiving so much rejection. Anyone in the same situation would be in the same situation.

I've been unemployed now for over a year and I have had 5 failed interviews... so I totally get how rejected a person feels.  I feel pretty depressed myself which makes looking for a job that much harder.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Pleasant-Sage said:

Anyone in the same situation would be in the same situation.

I get it.  But the OP can’t control the employer’s decision, so he can only focus on his end.  Blaming the system might get him sympathy, working on his attitude, presentation and interview performance might get him the right job...

Mr. Lucky 

• Author
1 hour ago, Mr. Lucky said:

I get it.  But the OP can’t control the employer’s decision, so he can only focus on his end.  Blaming the system might get him sympathy, working on his attitude, presentation and interview performance might get him the right job...

Mr. Lucky 

Look I may have been very cynical here. But I went into every interview with a positive attitude and tried to showcase the best of me. I’m sure I could have had better interviewing skills. But I got a job where people saw what I could do as a consultant there.

I am of the opinion though that some people are who they are and it’s not easy to change ones perception. If I feel like I need to exit a company I’m at in the future I’ll definitely seek an interview coach. But I have some doubts it would be impactful.

I am working with an interview coach and had my resume looked at by several different professionals. I attended a networking group every week for several months before I ran out of unemployment and now have no gas money. It's so easy for others to make assumptions. The older you get the harder it is to find a positions to match your skills set. The last time I was unemployed lasted 2 years. I just barely reaching my 50's had over 300 job applications out before the right one came along. I am now just barely reaching my 60's and at the 1 year mark this time with over 200 job applications out at this point. I have had countless phone conversations with people from all over the country for either direct hires or contract work. Many of the people who call me are from temp agencies most speak a different language and I struggle to understand them. This time around I seem to be having problems getting pass the new AI systems that are being used.  I've had a few phone interviews that were 100% AI interaction that I never could get past to talk to a real person.

Below are my in-person interviews I have had so far.

Feb 2019 - Interview 1: As soon as it was over I was informed that the position was filled yesterday.

April 2019 - Interview 2: The interviewer was a no show. Frist time I've ever been stood up for an interview.

May 2019 - Informational Interview: Purpose was to find out about the company and how to apply.

July 2019 - Interview 3: Decided to promote within instead of training me on their systems.

Aug 2019 Interview 4: Good interview but rejected.

Dec 2019 - Interview 5: The person interviewing didn't speak my language as a first language so I had a really hard time understanding him. 

Dec 2019 - Interview 6: Good interview but rejected.

• Author

We’ll hopefully you can find that last job and can stick with it till retiring. My dad was stuck in some cruddy jobs and took him a few years to land the last decent one (while still employed). I definitely think there is age discrimination out there. But any day of the week I’d personally take someone with a lot of experience than someone younger. I hope things work out for you soon.