Lazy or just scared. Not sure.

This isn't a sob story, just looking for insight...

I'm 39 and this year I realized that I live my life within a set of boundaries. I work a low paying FT data entry job and then I drive Lyft for a few hours after that to support my two small twins and wife. Been doing Lyft for 2 years.

I'm not super excited about my FT job or the industry but I will admit that I got very comfortable there when I first started. I just wish I made more money. I've been at that job since before I was married, before I had kids, it's been 12 years.

I have wanted to get out and move on and find something better because the money is not great and I don't want to have to drive Lyft to make ends meet, anymore. My wife does odd jobs to help but one of our boys has special needs, so she can't really work. I have applied to other places over the years but I'll admit, I've been afraid to jump ship to something new.

I've thought about and have kind of obsessed about become a real estate agent and have been schooling myself on my breaks at work, late at night, listening to videos on How To while driving Lyft ... all for about a solid year. I keep thinking about it, talking about it to my wife, etc.

I feel like I could be really good at it for many various reasons. I don't think I'm delusional about it. I also have an acquaintance of my Uncle that I have yet to reach out to that is a successful realtor. I've wanted to ask him for advice and see if he could mentor me a bit but I haven't.

My problem: I don't know if I'm just being lazy, afraid to work my butt off to get what I want, afraid of picking the wrong new career path, looking for an easier route (i.e. just get a better paying data entry job or sales) or what.

Meanwhile, my family has had to go with a little less because "we can't afford it" and I feel ashamed, depressed, anxious, stressed out, but a few minutes later will feel 'Empowered!' to do something. So then I'll get back to studying real estate, prepare to get a license, do all that stuff for a week... then fizzle out again and think to myself "Just go get a better data entry job!" I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck.

What should I do?

What should I do?

Someone told me early on in my career that the trepidation holding most people back isn't fear of failure, it's fear of success.

And that makes perfect sense. Success and the opportunities it brings strips away all your excuses and barriers to advancement, leaving the outcome simply up to you.

To me, some of that mindset currently holding you back. You're comfortably competent in the low-paying track you're on, so you've bought into the scenario that's all you're capable of.

What if that's not true :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Id sound out this contact of your Uncle, that could be invaluable advice there to show you the ropes,

Are you good at selling and so on, you need a certain personality for the real estate.

It can be hard to get out of a comfort zone but it is good to challenge oneself,

I am happy for instance that I moved away from regular accountancy work and into adult education, which certainly took me out of my comfort zone and had its initial hiccups but I have made a go of it,

that said I did not have a wife and kids to support so its probably quite different for you in that you have to have steady money coming in.

Have you any initial capital to help you get off the ground or as a safety net to fall back on when it may take a while to generate income coming in,

You might have to increase the taxiing work for a while,

Id be all for giving up that data entry stuff though, lol I know from the accountancy and so on, that would bore you to tears buddy:rolleyes:

follow your dream if you can and try to make it work.

• Like 1
  • Author
.....Someone told me early on in my career that the trepidation holding most people back isn't fear of failure, it's fear of success......

Mr. Lucky

This sincerely hit me. Like, I feel totally foolish that I hadn't seen it that way.

I have fears of failure and fears of uncertainty -- but I never thought about the Fear of Success.

It makes so much sense when I really, really think about it. Yeah, Success comes with work, accountability, sustainability, etc. if you're not up for the task and like your "comfort zone", you won't make a move.

That's me in a nutshell. I won't have any excuses I can use. It'll be all on

me. So, I don't start. It's easier to stay in the comfort zone, not have to

make any decisions.

Thanks for this. My eyes feel a lot more open.

Someone told me early on in my career that the trepidation holding most people back isn't fear of failure, it's fear of success.

for most people success is very hard to handle

• Author

I'm still stuck.

I know, I know... snap out of it, right? Maybe that's what I'm thinking to

myself at least. I know I need to snap out of it.

I know what I want do, I know what I need to do but I just feel so dang

stuck. Mostly, I feel like I have soooo many things going on at once

that I can't focus on what the most important stuff.

I got the two jobs, my kids need my attention, my wife needs me too,

I'm trying to job hunt, I'm trying to study more real estate things, the

rent is going up next month so that's concerning me, I have a few outside family

members that need my help right now, etc.

It's overwhelming. Maybe that's my problem, feeling overwhelmed and not starting

because I think everything is equal priority.

Any ideas on getting unstuck?

Any ideas on getting unstuck?

Prioritize, which includes learning to say "no". "Sorry family members, I have my own family to take of right now."

Henry Ford said “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” Pretty good advice...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1