Anyone tried the Intermittent Fasting?

OatsAndHall

I've done it and dropped weight. It really isn't all that difficult to follow but you still need to track calories in/calories out. I stopped doing it because it started affecting my workouts. I scheduled my meals around my workouts but I never seemed to have enough energy to train and I didn't recover well.

I've found that the best way for me to lose weight it to cycle calories on a weekly basis. I cycle between 3500 kcal and 7000 kcal weekly deficits and maintenance levels on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. This keeps my body from adjusting to the caloric deficit and plateauing. I actually tend to lose the most weight on weeks when I jump back up to maintenance calories.

Bear in mind that it's the WEEKLY caloric intake that should be taken into consideration; not the daily ones. The caloric deficit over time is what impacts weight loss, not the day-day. On a 3500kcal weekly deficit, I try aim to eat 500kcal fewer calories per day and 1000kcal on a 7000kcal weekly deficit. But, it doesn't always work out that way so I just pay attention to where I am at the end of the week. I tend to go below a 500kcal/1000kcal deficit during the week days so I can bump up calories a bit on the weekend.

Edited by OatsAndHall

As far as I am concerned, all diet plans are dumb. The problem lies with sustainability. Our bodies are very adaptable and react to the dietary change but soon learns a way around it.

I come from a family of all diabetics. It's genetic in nature and so with 8 of being diabetic, we all learned that 6 small meals a day, a balanced diet of all the food groups, limited sugar and carbs....Not a complete cut off....just limited, and a steady exercise regimen gets the job done and you're never ever hungry and lose weight steadily. It might be 2lbs a week but you'll be losing that every week no matter what till you get to your natural target.

This works because our bodies adapt, they adapt by learning that more food is always just a few hours away and so it ramps the metabolism and energy extraction. In short, it doesn't feel like it needs to store energy when it knows there's always more coming in a short while. Kind of like your bank account. Your less likely to save money when you know more is showing up at regular intervals of every few hours.

The bad....It's a pain in the ass to plan 6 small meals a day. A real pain in the ass actually. I personally get sick of it. All the time. But it's either that or die so....yeah.

Getting the body moving is pretty hard to keep the motivation going for the first 2 months. After that it's just habit and it doesn't feel good not too. Of course when its medically required to NOT die, than that's pretty good motivation. For every one else, these stupid fad diets where people are looking for ways to be lazy and not work too hard to be fit and trim, with unreal expectations of TV super models and all that crap its not real surprising why fads work for a while, don't work at all, or end and our bodies adversely react to that. The only weight I've loss Ive had on a fad was because of a lighter wallet, not because I was healthier.

Weight loss is a life plan, not a fad.

OatsAndHall

@Mr.Me

You are correct; the body's endocrine system adapts to the caloric deficit over time. However, a caloric deficit is a caloric deficit, regardless of the how those calories are spread out. Smaller meals are great for staving off hunger and it will keep your metabolism from adapting a little bit longer. But, in the end, your body will always say "You're starving me, I don't like it, screw off."

My former boss asked me to put him on a diet an exercise plan this last year. He wanted to shed about forty pounds by the time his daughter's wedding rolled around this summer. I gave him some simple guidelines to follow; caloric deficit cycling, .7 grams of protein/pound of body weight, track everything, take in clean forms of fat and carbs, etc..etc.. I showed him how to use a phone app to track everything and gave him some tips there as well.

He freelanced it and jumped into fad low carb diet, he was cutting his calories way too low and he wasn't cycling them. I warned him that he was screwing too much with his metabolism by not following what I laid out for him. But, he dropped fifteen pounds quickly and just went his own way. Long story short, he dropped the forty pounds within five months and was excited. But, he went off of his plan for a MONTH and gained every last pound back plus a few more.

He wasn't going nuts with his food when he went off of the diet either but he had driven his metabolism so far down that he just soaked up those calories and put them right back around his gut..

Been doing it four years and I love it! Not just for physique goals but also the added health benefits!

One mistake people do make though is assuming that fasting itself causes weight loss. It is simply a different eating schedule. If your goal with IF is weight loss, you need to still track calories and keep a deficit.

** But with that said. It is much easier to calorie track eating 2x a day, than over a ton of small meals. Plus since you're only eating twice daily, the meals are larger/more fulfilling!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Last water only fast I’ve done was five days. Ended it with an acai bowl from the beach. Phenomenal experience!

I’ve been doing 23/1 for over 10 years now. The past two years it’s been Mostly raw akaline Keto vegan occasionally I have pizza.

Sometimes I only intake 100-500 calories daily for weeks on end. (My smoothie) if I do that then I always throw in a healthy round of supplements.

The worst thing to come of this is when I break from this regime I tend to be more susceptible to general sickness floating around. Flu, cold etc...

My workouts last longer, my strength increases with way less mass and my general attitude is much better. I do increase my caloric intake when I train heavy. A lot more natural dense foods legumes and so fourth. Winter time is tough as I want to eat much more I usually cut back to a 3 hour eating window. And add in a lot more dense cooked food. Can’t wait to move some where tropical and keep it the same all year round!

Edited by Osho
CautiouslyOptimistic

Sometimes I only intake 100-500 calories daily for weeks on end.

This doesn't some remotely healthy unless you're a 6 year old.

LivingWaterPlease
I've just finished watching a documentary done by our city Institute of Cardiology. He is encouraging this regiment to lose weight.

Curious if anyone tried it?

Thank you,

Yes, I've done it and have family and friends who have done or are doing it.

It has worked well for me and for anyone else I've known who's used this method for health reasons.

I usually also fast one day a week.

LivingWaterPlease
Well, something went wrong. I completed my 7 days today and scale shows + 1,5 lb. We ate twice at restaurant over the weekend, I made a point to not over-eat, ordered salad for lunch, ordered oat-meal at brunch......sucks!

Back on the saddle this morning.

Well it didn't work for me. I felt hunger almost each day. I went back to low carb and started losing immediately and on low carb I feel 0 hunger and 0 arthosis pain.

Intermittent fasting works for me except when I eat after about six, especially when I eat out at restaurants.

When I do intermittent fasting I make sure my last meal is around five or six, preferably five.

But, seems you've already found a good method for you with your low carb eating. Wonder why intermittent fasting was recommended to you in the first place since you already had a diet that works for you?

This doesn't some remotely healthy unless you're a 6 year old.

It’s not something I do blindly.

I have studied it in depth. Knowing the different digestive cycles and so fourth.

Even when I say I’m only taking in that little bit of calories the physical amount of nutrients and vitamins are twice the amount of some eating a whopper and fries or a salad with grilled chicken.

My go to shake is 4 packed cups of spin and kale, apple banana walnuts water and a scoop of a raw vegan powder meal replacement. All together I’m below 500 cals and 25g of carbs. But I have full levels of protein all vitamins and BCAA’s required for me sitting around and doing computer work all day if that’s what I’m doing. That’s why I also threw in that when I’m working out or outside for extended periods of time actually doing physical activity my body won’t let me get away with that diet. I have to thrown in grain and potato’s. Keep in mind this is a full blender. I still have issues trying to finish it off within an hour and I’m full for the rest of the day.

The more I studied ancient diets and what others eat in South America and people from my fathers side I realized something didn’t quite add up with the idea that we need a the way we were being told. Even when I studied religion I was surprised to read about 40 day fasts from Moses and how Buddha only ate once a day and not a feast either.

People still this day are befuddled on how I gain steady weight in the gym and keep increasing how much I lift and I’m eating a fraction of the protein they’re told they need.

One of the strongest men in the world eats much like I do. And he’s won the title. And he’s vegan and follows 23/1.

Edited by Osho
  • Author

Wonder why intermittent fasting was recommended to you in the first place since you already had a diet that works for you?

In low carb diet we eat lots of meat, dairy products, eggs and I am sensitive to what it could do to my bad cholesterol. My last blood test came back A1 but at 53 I have to keep in mind the way I eat may block my arteries eventually. I hate this conflict as when I am on a low carb my body feels so much better, no arthosis pain, no inflammation in joints, no water retention, no heartburns, etc.
  • Like 1
Kitty Tantrum

I decided to give this a shot recently. What works really well for me is to have just coffee (espresso and 5-6 oz half and half) for breakfast around 9am, and then only water until dinner - which is usually sometime between 5-7pm.

On the days I go walking (~15 miles, 2-3 days per week) I pack some candy, and let myself have a small meal when I get home, too - if I feel hungry.

I don't know if I'll lose weight any faster than just counting calories, but it feels GOOD to go for stretches without eating and to do most of my daily activities on an empty stomach. I feel sharper and more on-point, more energetic, etc.

^^^ Just curious: Why did you choose lunch instead of dinner to fast? I would have thought dinner fasting is bother much easier and much healthier.

• 3 months later...
  • Author

How is everybody doing on their regime?

I started this thread wanting to lose a few lbs before summer, and here I am wanting to lose a few lbs before Xmas :D Never ends eh!

So the Intermittent fast 5:2 didn't work for me. Last week I decided to give a try to the 16:8 and wow! results are there!! It's also easier to manage, I can move my 8 hour window to accommodate my schedule, love it so far!

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease
How is everybody doing on their regime? ... Last week I decided to give a try to the 16:8 and wow! results are there!! It's also easier to manage, I can move my 8 hour window to accommodate my schedule, love it so far!

Thanks for the great update, Gaeta! Way to go! Cheering you on and believing you're going to have those lbs. off before Christmas!

I do the 16:8, too, but actually sometimes it's more like 18:6, it varies a little. Anyway, works great for me as long as I don't eat after six p.m. I walk out-of-doors most days around three-four miles, too, in addition to my regular activity/work-related walking indoors, to and from the car, etc.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease
spelling, punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Author

For years now we eat dinner around 19h30 each night, sometimes 20h. I only get home at 18h so by the time I walk the dog, prepare dinner, we sit at the table late. I am realizing now how it affected my sleep! Since I go to bed on an empty stomach I have a deeper and more restful sleep. That is priceless!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For me intermittent fasting only ups a good plan as I believe it helps kick start a more fat burning mode. How for me used it only with a good diet, calorie control (not drastic just sedentary level) plus every other day exercise both aerobic and anaerobic, mostly lifting, push ups, burpees that kind of thing with an hour bike ride or half hour jog.

It’s the only way to get those last 5-10 pounds for me.