Is it manipulation and taking advantage?

I am working in an organisation for past 2 years and I was doing well in the begining so that I was given a promotion after one year and was provided a new analyst (a women) to work under me for training. I was told to train her and make her better. At first it was going fine I never used to give her much work and my manager used to assign her work. She always wanted help and my manager told me to get help from me or if I am busy get help from other people in the team or any other people in the floor. Initially she used to do a lot of mistakes and my manager told me to sit with her and help her out with the work. Which I have done so. Then my work started to get pended. So I went and tried to concentrate on my work and then she was getting rude to me stating she was new and she needed help even though I was busy. I told her like she can get help from anyone in the floor and she wasn't ready to do that. Then she started complaining about other members of the team. They are the colleagues whom I had worked with the past 1 year and she is complaining about them. They are not the best people they do have drawbacks and she told like she hated them. Because of that she is not asking them any help. Then my manager noticed her negativity and tried to move her out of the team. I thought it was my very first opportunity and I will try and train that person and help her change( a mistake). So he told okay let her be under you for the time being. This was told when she was sitting over there. Post this scenario she started to give me respect. Like initially when I used to call her to assign work. She used to go and meet her friends then come over. Now she started to run and come over to me. Then I started to assign her work she was slow in the completing the work. So I told my manager and he told like ask her what her problems are in related to work and speak to her. So I did. She told like she had a love failure and a person she loved left her. Also she had an accident due to which she have some spinal cord issue along with anxiety and depression problems. She have a scar which is really big in her body which is what she says unwomently? So after hearing all these I felt sorry for this lady. (another mistake I think). So I decided to help her out in whatever way possible. When ever she needed help I always went over there and helped her it was at the cost of my work getting pended. When I go on leave she always used to call me up for doubts which I never used to like. But still I helped her. If I was not able to get back to her doubts she would complain every time. She once she used to text me that she went into the guys bathroom while getting stressed about work. So because of all this I tried to give her less stress. The one day my manager told me like I am spoon feeding this lady and if I continue to do that she will not grow. So what I have done is like I had told her to do the work on her own. The she started cursing and sending explicit words in the office messenger. I then spoke with my manager and she told him that her grandmother is in hospital and because of work she came to office!!! (Seems like a lie) because of that she is frustrated and she sent those. So i told my manager to let it be for the time being. So he just left it. Then later on she complained to the hr in regards to one of my colleague stating he is giving her mental harassment. He was surprised to hear that. He didn't even spoke with her and she told like he is harrassing her. The real issue is he just told in his own way to her to do the work. Which she didn't like. The scary thing is she went to hr for this. So when the dust settled for this as nothing happened after that. I told a colleague of mine to assign her work because she was sitting idle which he done so. She didn't like that and she didn't pick up that work. She just kept it pended. When I was on sick leave she also called me to help with work she told like it is my work she is doing and I need to help her like she is doing me a favour. Which shouldn't be the case. She used to send negativity through text and I couldn't block her as she is supposed to be taking care of my work in the office. Then later I came back to the office. She told me like I told you all my issues and you are not at all helping me. She also told me once she is not well and I need to go over there and help her. But when a handsome guy came in she just got up from her seat to speak with him. I was surprised. This is the person I am working with. Now later she was convincing me that he called her and she went to see him. She also told like every one thinks she is a bad person but she is not. She was always in the process of making me believe that because of her attitude she was being misunderstood. I don't think so, she was helpful at times in need but not always. What kind of person is she?

Edited by Breakup123

Absolute manipulation, but as her trainer, all of this should have been documented. Train her to do some stuff, watch her do it, answer questions... document. Allow her to to it unsupervised, expect some questions, observe how she handles it...document.

With the personal sob story, you should have told her you understand, but everyone has personal issues and need her to leave those at the door....speak to Your manager or HR to help you better handle this.

Why are her co-workers unwilling to help? Too many questions? That becomes a reflection of you which you then turn to your documentation for support. Retrain, document and tell her that you will be submitting reports of her progress to the boss.

The whole calling you during your personal time? Totally unacceptable. When she said she was doing *your* job, you state that it is in her list of duties and responsibilities (if there is such a list). Imagine being a paramedic and your partner calls out. Do you let half the work undone because your partner has the day off? No. You handle the job on your own.

If she keeps making mistakes, document the type of mistakes she makes, refresh the training and if she keeps doing it again, it’s time to talk to your manager about your observations and further guidance. By this time, you have done your job, absolutely done all you can and have the manager give her a new position, or cut the loss.

You always want to be able to resolve issues in the workplace and help everyone be up to speed. Some are fast learners, some slow, and you’ll have to adjust your training as that is your task. However, you should always cover your own a** as well.

She’s not a team player, she’s not very morivated to perform her best, she can’t multi task and sheis distracted,

First off Breakup123, paragraphs are helpful. Your post reads as one giant block of text.

Running to your boss every time you have a problem with her makes you look weak. You should use progressive discipline and a performance improvement plan to set and enforce expectations. Look them up, plenty of stuff on Google and YouTube, if you're unfamiliar.

What kind of person is she?

You don't care. Your concern is what type pf employee she has the potential to become...

Mr. Lucky

She is using the sob story to not get in trouble at work or do much work. I have seen this before one time really bad and the men fell for it, where the women saw right through it, but then the men ostracized the women who didn't buy her BS.

I can't believe your boss hasn't just let her go by now. She's an excuse maker and complainer. I think you should advise you feel she's full of excuses and not a good employee.

She hasn't been let go because you keep protecting her. If she has been there a couple of months then she should mostly be able to work on her own with maybe the odd question here and there. She is either lazy or incompetent or maybe both. However her attitude is even worse than her quality of work. It's not enough that she can't make the effort to learn her job and do the work, she also heaps blame on other people and tries to get them into trouble. Cursing and using foul language over messenger is completely unacceptable.

Sometimes the quality of an employee does come down to how well they are being trained but in this case it sounds like she is one of those people who always tries to dodge actually working and who shifts blame onto others whenever she is expected to take responsibility. We've all dealt with that type and they can't be helped. When someone has that poor of an attitude right out of the gate, things aren't going to change. Usually the only answer is termination but be prepared to see a huge meltdown on her part when that happens. She'll start wailing about how unfair it all is, threaten legal action, try to retaliate by accusing others of wrong doing, etc. I've seen how this plays out and the people in charge just need to stay firm and show her the door.

Anika makes a good point. Sometimes in order for management to actually act and make a change, you have to let whoever the person is fail and not catch them. Just stay out of it and let them bust.