Gaslighting (For those who are familiar with the term)

AugustSnow

Has anyone experienced or are currently experiencing being gaslighted in a relationship? What were they doing that was classified as such? Have you ever been the gasligher yourself?

I have experienced being the recipient of gaslighting, which I interpret as my partner denying my reality and try to enforce a different reality to me. It happened because I was trying to stand up and refuse to be an emotional doormat, but by the time in my relationship that I did it, she interpreted it as not being the Garcon1986 she once knew (which all I was doing was being firm in my beliefs). It was really nasty. If you are in such a situation you leave immediately, there's no negotiating with a tiger inside a cage.

• Like 1

yes in 5 of the 6 relationships i was in were abusive; there was gaslighting involved in the abusive tactics they used.

one example was from my last relationship, 2014 is when it began. I was recalling and reflecting on something that had happened to us. He immediately jumped on my case, said that never happened" then yelled "your crazy, just crazy". He said "why don't you remember (my name)?" all the while grinning devilishly.

its when they make you doubt your recall, consciousness, and sanity. it makes you dependent on them for everything.