Taking antidepressants to cope?

NotADayGoesBy

NotADayGoesBy

Has anyone started taking antidepressants in order to cope with their grief? If so, does it help? Have you experienced any side effects?

I haven’t, but I considered it after the death of my mother. I decided to go for counselling instead.

Is counselling something that you have thought about or tried? Is it something that you would want to talk about here...

I’m sorry that you are struggling now. I hope it gets better for you soon.

I have tried them a couple of times. They only make things worse for me. Everybody's experience and reaction is different though.

A quick word on antidepressants - once you start, it can be really hard to stop. I take antidepressants for clinical depression and despite trying to wean myself off a few times, the comedown is too horrible to continue. If you decide to take them, be aware of this side effect.

Anyway, regarding your situation, grief is an emotion to be worked through and masking the symptoms just leaves unresolved issues. How long have you been struggling for?

Yep. After almost a year of psychotherapy and still being unable to be productive at work or home, I was referred to a psychiatrist. Was prescribed antidepressants and they helped me a great deal. I had never been on any medications in my life. Never even smoked or drank alcohol, so I was very much opposed to taking any type of medication for a years...

But after several years of just being tired of BEING TIRED OF feeling so intensely sad and distracted, I had to at least try the antidepressants and it’s been working well in terms of helping to cope. —-unfortunately, we don’t all have the time or luxury to just do therapy, not go to work or WAIT & SEE if the depression will get better——. Im still working through some issues but I can only imagine how I’d be without the meds, not good... I waited until I was in my late 30s to seriously address my emotional/mental well being, so im not advocating for meds and meds only(I just wanna be clear). However, I am advocating for self care and people doing what’s best for them.

As with any medication though there could be side effects. I started with a low dosage and titrated up. Eventually I’d like to come off of them, but for now I feel much better and some side effects are pleasant , others may be minimal. Indeed, everyone is different.

Antidepressants can’t be prescribed unless you suffer from clinical depression, this includes about 4-5 criteria.

In the loss of a loved one(breakup), talk, group therapy is an indication .

There’s a lot of debate whether circumstances like this should be classified under depression umbrella, in that case people will be eligible for antidepressants.

Very little percent of doctors will prescribe that for you because it’s not the smartest answer to the question

They have helped so much. I had all the checks for clinical depression. Within a few days I felt like my normal self and no side effects (except sleepiness, but I take those at night). I could not function at home, at work, in life. My kids were worried about me.

My IC suggested them and the psychiatrist really nailed what I needed based on my questions. So well that my IC took his name to recommend.

IC and I have no intention of long term use. But she said that weening has to be slow and one med at a time. So it's a process. She did say that staying on low dose zoloft would not be bad, but I have time to think about that.

The psychiatrist doesn't really offer therapy, but he did say one piece of advice that I took to heart. Kids are your first priority and Job is your second. Those are the two things you focus on. It helped center me.

Antidepressants can’t be prescribed unless you suffer from clinical depression, this includes about 4-5 criteria.

Incorrect and potentially dangerous advice if someone was to read it and think "Well I'm really down but not clinically depressed so I guess they're not for me."

Antidepressants are available and can be helpful to a wide range of patients suffering from varying degrees of depression, they can be a virtual lifesaver.

Please do not dispense medical advice especially if you don't have a clue as to what you're saying.

I've tried a lot of different meds and none of them do anything for the long term. My divorce was pretty rough and even cost me a career. Doctors hand them out like candy and they can cause worse issue than what you're trying to treat; especially if you have to get off them because of the side effects. After 6 years since the initial separation, I still get bouts of depression. The trauma from divorce/separation is like any other injury except this one is an injury to the brain that only time can heal.

A good therapist and healthy diversions (like building a business) do a lot more for me than any medication. I only take Seroquel strictly as needed for my insomnia.

I was put on Mirtazapine to help me sleep, as I have very bad anxiety and suffer with GERD and swallowing problems which made me very depressed.

Do they help me sleep at night since the break up? Yes they do.

Do I still think about him most nights and cry until I can't anymore? Unfortunately, yes.

I am still on my first month trial of these and the breakup is very raw so I can't advise you on taking them for grief purposes, but so far they're pretty damn good for getting to sleep. I'm not a doctor but if that's the problem I'd recommend them.

Incorrect and potentially dangerous advice if someone was to read it and think "Well I'm really down but not clinically depressed so I guess they're not for me."

Antidepressants are available and can be helpful to a wide range of patients suffering from varying degrees of depression, they can be a virtual lifesaver.

Please do not dispense medical advice especially if you don't have a clue as to what you're saying.

I see your reply to the other poster and it does have merit.

If in dire straights and death can happen then yes go on anti deps.

However I do believe ppl grieving should explore the following first.

1. Therapy

2. Healthy diet

3. Exercise

4. Avoiding drugs

5. Journaling

It's 10 years past my initial break up. Im healed from it. However today I woke feeling overwhelmed because of a new job promotion and work ahead.

I got up. Had coffee. Meditated. Within 1 hour I felt much better. I feel motivated and enthusiastic now.

I was perscribed anti anxiety pills 15 years ago. I chose not to take them. Now I know how to cope and don't have to worry about weaning off anything.

I have a commitment to my mental and emotional health.

Meditation also worked wonders for me and side passion projects.

I see your reply to the other poster and it does have merit.

If in dire straights and death can happen then yes go on anti deps.

However I do believe ppl grieving should explore the following first.

Your post has merit as well but I still take issue with it.

My point was that doctors do prescribe antidepressants for patients who are not necessarily suffering from clinical depression. That doesn't necessarily mean they should be. I have no doubt antidepressants are over prescribed, just like lots of other medications for various conditions unrelated to depression. That much being said, different people react to stresses in their lives in different ways. Some sort of roll with it and rebound quickly if they falter, others go to pieces and cannot function and need medications early on in order to deal with the mental instability. Those who don't can risk anything from job loss to suicide to mass shootings in public malls and offices, and it happens with divorce and breakups often enough that it needs to be addressed.

I struggled with anxiety and depression for many months during the end of my marriage and divorce. I wasn't clinically depressed, and I managed to function at work, but I was miserable. Once I started seeing a therapist, they suggested I consider antidepressants. I was initially opposed to the idea of taking meds but when things weren't getting better for months, I decided to try it. Within a month I was feeling a lot better and was able to cope much better with life in general and the stress of the divorce. I was on the meds less than a year and I never looked back after I quit. That was 12 years ago.

Edited by Normm
  • Author
NotADayGoesBy

I struggled with anxiety and depression for many months during the end of my marriage and divorce. I wasn't clinically depressed, and I managed to function at work, but I was miserable. Once I started seeing a therapist, they suggested I consider antidepressants. I was initially opposed to the idea of taking meds but when things weren't getting better for months, I decided to try it. Within a month I was feeling a lot better and was able to cope much better with life in general and the stress of the divorce. I was on the meds less than a year and I never looked back after I quit. That was 12 years ago.

I know that I am not clinically depressed either, but like you have been miserable with a lot of crying spells I can’t control. I have been slightly better the past week, but if it continues much longer I may also give it a try.

Thank you all for contributing your feedback from your own unique perspectives and situations. I appreciate it.

My point was that doctors do prescribe antidepressants for patients who are not necessarily suffering from clinical depression. That doesn't necessarily mean they should be. I have no doubt antidepressants are over prescribed, just like lots of other medications for various conditions unrelated to depression. That much being said, different people react to stresses in their lives in different ways. Some sort of roll with it and rebound quickly if they falter, others go to pieces and cannot function and need medications early on in order to deal with the mental instability. Those who don't can risk anything from job loss to suicide to mass shootings in public malls and offices, and it happens with divorce and breakups often enough that it needs to be addressed.

Very well said.

Not to dabble so much into a debate but you clearly shifted from the original point you made. No doubt it is over prescribed, but the reason for that is what I mentioned, what causative type of mood alteration constitutes depression , loss of a family one, loss of. A cat? A breakup?.

Like the other poster said, there are numerous options to be explored before pharmacotherapy, you also mentioned how people handle stress differently, that also goes into Behavioral therapy which can immensely assist.

I’m not an opponent of anti-depressant, excellent only when used correctly and I believe and intelligent psychiatrist will be able to quickly walk you through without anti-depressant possible with an anxiolytic at best

you clearly shifted from the original point you made.

How so? My original point was that antidepressants are indeed prescribed for other types of depression than just "clinical depression".

I added later on that they tend to be overprescribed but that's not a "shift" that's an "elaboration".

Actually, what young mind said was correct. Anti-depressants work on neurotransmitters in the brain and while it's not 100% clear as to what the medication does the theory is that for people who for whatever reason have faulty brain activity can be helped by manipulating certain neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.)

https://www.medicaldaily.com/how-antidepressants-work-brain-comprehensive-guide-336250

The theory is if your brain chemistry is normal and you're suffering from "normal" sadness the pills won't help.

In your case it was probably the placebo effect.

I suppose you're right. I should have taken sugar pills and so should the millions of nonclinically depressed patients all over the world who appear to have their symptoms of depression greatly improved by antidepressants. I wonder why I tried several different types until I found one that appeared to work so much better than the others? Maybe it was the color.

I suppose you're right. I should have taken sugar pills and so should the millions of nonclinically depressed patients all over the world who appear to have their symptoms of depression greatly improved by antidepressants. I wonder why I tried several different types until I found one that appeared to work so much better than the others? Maybe it was the color.

The other option is that you are "clinically depressed" at times. Meaning that your brain goes into chemical depletion when you are hit with trauma and then the pills work on your "feel good" chemicals or reuptake process.

Right now there are only THEORIES with how the pills work on brain chemistry.

For personal experiences regarding use of anti-depressants while coping, please add them to this thread. For more generalized discussion of brain medications and health, feel free to start a new thread in our Health or Self-Improvement forums. Thanks!

Has anyone started taking antidepressants in order to cope with their grief? If so, does it help? Have you experienced any side effects?

I think it should only be a last resort.

I myself went through a major addiction to benzodiazepines, that were prescribed originally for a diagnosed anxiety disorder. That turned into a full blown addiction, multiple hospital visits and notions of suicide. I know that SSRIs are not benzodiazepines, but the fact remains that they do not really allow you to grief or confront your deeply rooted issues. They cover them up which gives them the opportunity to fester and wait. Suppressing any kind of emotional turmoil is never a good idea imho, unless it is the absolute last resort.

Instead what saved me was exercise, meditation and yoga. These things help promote positive attributes and help us rewire our thought processes. Not only that, but they cause dopamine and endorphins to be produced, as well as something positive to focus our mind and energy on. It won't be an over night type of healing, but it does have huge effects over time. If you dose yourself up with substances, the likelihood is that later in life, all of the feelings and emotions that you've suppressed will resurface worse than before. In complement to these things CBT therapy and other types of counselling are very helpful, but after all of the damage I have seen prescribed meds such as SSRIS and benzos have done to me and other people I know of, I personally can never advise anybody to take them.

Edited by Samsara555