My life is falling apart. Thinking of seeing a therapist.

vmorgan20

My life has been on a downward spiral since my parents got divorced last year. Now I’m falling behind from my studies, my dad is never around when I need him, and my brother has been too preoccupied with all the international brides dating events he’s been going to. I feel alienated from my friends at school and I have no one to talk to. I don’t want to go to the school guidance counselor, so I was thinking of scheduling an appointment with a therapist. Should I go for it? I want to make sure it’s going to be worth it.

My life has been on a downward spiral since my parents got divorced last year. Now I’m falling behind from my studies, my dad is never around when I need him, and my brother has been too preoccupied with all the international brides dating events he’s been going to. I feel alienated from my friends at school and I have no one to talk to. I don’t want to go to the school guidance counselor, so I was thinking of scheduling an appointment with a therapist. Should I go for it? I want to make sure it’s going to be worth it.

Why don't you want to go to the school guidance counselor?

Should I go for it? I want to make sure it’s going to be worth it.

How old are you and what level of school are you attending?

Mr. Lucky

I think it's an excellent idea for you to see a therapist. If you can't find one, do ask the guidance counselor or a trusted teacher. You may also want to search for a support group for the children of divorced parents.

• Like 2

Start by letting a guidance counselor know you are seeking help. They should be able to connect you with the right resources. I mean if you just looked up a therapist in the phone book and booked your own appointment wouldn't you be billed for that? And how would you pay? A counselor should be able to assist you with finding free counselling and possibly a group. Would your mom help? Or is she no longer in the picture?

• Like 2
Thor of Love

I personally don't believe in therapists, if you are facing difficulties with your studies and you need support or you have financial problems then yes I would go to a counselor.

If you are depressed about your loneliness then you should try to find meaningful ways to change your mood. You should seek happiness and actively try to sustain what you love but you should never rely on anyone except yourself.

Life is just a bitch and the only thing you have is yourself, you just have to take the beating this time and keep moving forward, if you let your sadness get the best of you then you lose. Think about your dad and your brother, do they even care about you? probably not so much, why that is? that's because they already found happiness by being occupied with something else, that doesn't mean they are terrible, it's just that how humans work. In your case since you are alone, putting more effort on your studies would be a very smart move since that would lead to an independent life where you will no longer be alone.

I tell you this as someone whose parents got divorced, haven't seen his father for 15 years, his big sister ignored him for many years and he didn't have any real friends on school, on top of that his mother went crazy and made his life far worse. What helped me the most was participating on a real life community, I did a lot of things there and made a lot of friends, finding things to keep you occupied and active socially will help you forget what you are going through, a girlfriend can potentially help too.

Bear my advice though, keeping up with your studies is far more important for you than anyone else, don't stay behind!

I don't know where you live, but don't expect too much from a therapist. It may be hard to find a good one. Don't settle for anyone, even if he or she costs less.

You will have to do most of the mental work, not them.

You can tell by the kinds of questions they ask you--superficial or deep?

This is really a perfect situation in which a therapist can be of help. True, you do most of the talking, but you need someone neutral to talk to who won't judge and is smart and might guide you. Do just ask the school counselor for a recommendation and I hope you don't have to pay for it.