Girlfriend going back home to visit family for 3.5 weeks

StephenSG

StephenSG

So my girlfriend and I live in Canada and she is from Greece she moved here when she was 18 and she's now 25. She hasn't been back there to visit her family in 4 years so she decided to go this year. we have been dating a year and a half and are very close, we live together and spend 90 percent of our time together ,have a strong connection and both want to get married . We tell each other how much we love each other constantly . She wanted to go on her trip 25 days alone to visit her family and then on the 26th day I'm flying there to meet her for two weeks and we are travelling back together.. for some reason I am paranoid about not being with her for 25.. and I keep thinking something is going to happen to cause her to forget about me or she is going to do something Bad...is it normal she wanted to go alone for a bit before I came? Am I just being irrational ? She messaged me today saying how much she misses me already and she cried.

springflowers

It sounds like she really misses you and that is definitely a good sign! Since she hasn't been there in a long time she maybe thought she would feel more comfortable connecting again with her family alone. But 3 1/2 weeks to me sounds like a long time to want to be there alone. I am not sure what her reasons could be for that long.

Make sure you reassure her that you miss her too!

Given that she hasn't seen them in 4 years...yes I think a few weeks with them by herself before she introduces you is perfectly normal.

Missing her is fine. Paranoia that your relationship won't withstand a few weeks apart is...worrying. Do you have anything to back up these fears? If not, then yes, you are being irrational.

Try to encourage her to enjoy the visit. Tell her that you can't wait to travel to see her and meet her family. Help her to feel better, rather than be miserable because you aren't there.

• Like 2
ExpatInItaly

I also live abroad, and yes, it's normal to want to spend time alone with family when we visit on holiday. Especially when it's been so long since she last saw them.

Ask yourself why you're paranoid - why don't you trust her? If she's a good girlfriend, you'll have nothing to worry about. Has she ever done anything to betray your trust?

You're worrying over nothing.

Plus, 25 days seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Haw many other Greek families do you know btw? They tend to be huge families, all encompassing (lovely people though!) but being away so long - or even if she had only been away for a couple of months every single family member and friend will be wanting to see her and spend time with her.

Let her enjoy her trip, before you know it you'll be with her - and being consumed (lol!) by all her family before you head off on your travels.