"I'm looking for a skinny woman"

I have to say that this use of skinny regarding jeans is endemic of our fashion industry's campaign to make girls (ESPECIALLY) fit a certain mold that does not translate to most body-type nor healthy ones. I truly am convinced that the use of skinny in this regard plays into the alreay unhealthy view girls have about their bodies and further fuels their compulsion to look thinner and thinner. They call them skinny jeans b/c it serves as both a commerical, marketing strategy and pull on young girl's already fragile view of themselves. Believe me, the word skinny is not used b/c it is GOOD.

Tell that to the overweight teens who manage to fit into clothing referred to as skinny jeans.

I bet they feel pretty good about themselves, muffin top and all.

http://jeans.about.com/od/JeanStyleGuide/ss/How-To-Wear-Skinny-Jeans-If-Youre-Plus-Size.htm

Edited by amaysngrace
add link
Tell that to the overweight teens who manage to fit into clothing referred to as skinny jeans.

I bet they feel pretty good about themselves, muffin top and all.

Yeah. I know. The industry wants to make every girl feel 'skinnier.' It's emotional/psychological and doesn't change the fact that these types of clothing do more to accentuate what these girls want to hide than otherwise. It also helps to 'pack-in' some of what they want to hide. Girls find it an easier alternative to actually being active. The girls who are fine find it a great way to highlight their features. A great marketing and socio-psychological product.

Look, on the one hand, there is no shame in having a physical type. Some guys prefer slender women (and plenty of guys are instead physically attracted to women w curvier/thicker physical builds).

On the other hand, you'd be much better off instead choosing to write women whose physical type matches what you are looking for, and even then, focusing on aspects *besides* looks. I mean, most any woman wants to feel that you can appreciate her for something other than her looks, just as most any man wants to feel that a woman can appreciate him for something besides career success/income.

No one likes being objectified. The sentence "I want someone who is slender" is off-putting to many a slender and active woman, just as "I want a guy who makes a good income" is off-putting to a high-earning man.

Edited by Imajerk17

I usually pass on those men as they come off as superficial. Even if I meet their criteria it just doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't even post it OP.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

if its honest then that's the way you should be ...honest..... it stops any oversized or fluffy body who doesnt fit your criteria wasting time..and it also lets those who dont like superficiality or your defined approach to body type....they then know that you arent the match for them either...different strokes for different folks...all in all...its honesty.......deb

thefooloftheyear

I don't know anything of OLD and I am not in the game....But suffice to say, it actually kinda depends on the person and what they look like as well..

If a guy has a great physique, id expect that he'd have a requirement of a woman to be of similar body type...Women would likely do the same...

I don't necessarily see that as superficial or shallow...Its only asking the same of what you are bringing to the table yourself..;)

TFY

• Like 1