Gaslighting

pureinheart

Emotionally healthy people will be able to pick up on a gaslighter sooner than people with low self-esteem. Ongoing confusing abusive behaviour is not normal. A person who constantly causes others to doubt themselves is toxic.

You my friend are a prime candidate for being gaslit.

• Like 1
hindsight2021
You my friend are a prime candidate for being gaslit.

I acknolwedge your opinion, and I disagree with that statement due to its bluntness and doubt inducing context.

Also, this is a really good thread everyone. Thank you.

I'll add here that I think those of us who have historically given others the benefit of the doubt, and also have the tendency to analyze ourselves first before (or at all) the behavior of others, are the people most susceptible to takimg the bait of gaslighting.

That being said, I think it is equally as important to be mindful that we do not create situations for ourselves where we see gaslighting where it doesn't exist.

Any thoughts on combating this/balancing this?

I acknolwedge your opinion, and I disagree with that statement due to its bluntness and doubt inducing context.

Also, this is a really good thread everyone. Thank you.

I'll add here that I think those of us who have historically given others the benefit of the doubt, and also have the tendency to analyze ourselves first before (or at all) the behavior of others, are the people most susceptible to takimg the bait of gaslighting.

That being said, I think it is equally as important to be mindful that we do not create situations for ourselves where we see gaslighting where it doesn't exist.

Any thoughts on combating this/balancing this?

People who gaslight can be very deceptive so they may be doing it in a way that it seems like it couldn't be happening. Not everyone who is cruel is gas lighting.