1st year wedding anniversary gift???

Two weeks till my first year wedding anniversary and I haven't clue one about what to get her for a gift. I think the traditional rules say the first year is supposed to be paper what ever that means. Any suggestions or good ideas that some of you gals may have received in the past? We will be in Mexico with another coulple friends of ours that shares the same wedding anniversary as us so I won't be local and will need to take it with me.

Paper? Hmmm....Get her a gift certificate? :)

Or name a star after her, and give her the paper certificate.

Or write her a poem.

Or give her money to blow on the trip. That's paper!

A Fly onThe Wall

Break the tradition and do something from your heart..

You can find some decent things on tiffany.com Women love that. You can get a ring or a necklace within' $100-200 depending on how much you want to spend.

jmargel has a good idea ... now just take it one step further and buy something to remind her of your trip to Mexico. They've got lovely silver jewelry, if she likes silver.

• Author

I'm on the fence about jewelry. Between her ring and the diamond earrings I got her for our wedding and then a diamond bracelet on our honeymoon, I feel like I want to do something different other than jewelry. I think jewelry will be my fall back but the girl has plenty of diamonds for now. Hard not to go wrong with Tiffany's though, great suggestion.

HokeyReligions

What kind of things does she like? Hobbies? Favorite clothes? Something that she would not normally buy for herself. Expensive perfume wrapped in a Spa Day gift certificate for when you get back to the States? Furniture? A really nice jewelry box with a gift certificate in it, or like others said - some nice silver or turquois jewelry that you find in Mexico inside the box? Does she like to read? Maybe a nice book or set of books (that's paper!)

I don't remember what I got or gave for our first anniversary! I think I just made hubby's favorite dinner and he didn't kick up a fuss about eating with real plates and silverware vs. the usual paper & plastic! :p

• Author

I was thinking about having a painting done of one of our wedding photos, that is paper right? Any one ever had that done?

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by TUDOR

I was thinking about having a painting done of one of our wedding photos, that is paper right? Any one ever had that done?

Great idea.. but 2 weeks might not be enough time to get it done..

• Author

:eek:

Ya just looked up a few places and you're right. Damn procrastination gets me every time!!!

I know someone who was given a set of personalized stationery. Which would only be useful to her if she writes letters, I guess.

There are paper specialty stores that have cards and gift paper but also have nice things made out of papier mache and cardboard. And of course books are paper - is there an author she really enjoys? Does she like art books or books about decorating?

I think it's fun to follow the traditional anniversary gifts idea but it does sometimes take a bit of imagination.

One year.. :love: Congrats!

I've seen some cool books that are basically the story of "Us" the idea behind them is a lot like Baby books.. you know keeping track of the milestones.. but these books are geared for couples.. you can write down the story of your relationship, add photos and things like that...

I think it's great that you're putting some thought into this... yay! :bunny:

Congrats congrats congrats!

If your wife likes this kind of stuff, what about a gift cert for a nice spa day - massage, facial, manicure, pedicure - the works. Just a day of pampering & you can write a note about how you want to spoil her head to toe...

Anything from Victoria's Secret or Fredericks of Hollywood is fun, and it says "hey, you're still so sexy to me" not to mention, stuff sized in S/M/L is pretty easy to guess at, as opposed to pants, skirts, dresses.

Originally posted by tiki

Or name a star after her, and give her the paper certificate.

I like that idea, that's so romantic. :love:

• Author

Thanks for the congrats and the suggestions. Ok she did mention scrap booking at lunch today. So maybe a themed scrap book with how we met, wedding, etc for her to put together will work. And it is paper so some what sticks to the tradition.

Problem is this girl is spoiled and if she wants some thing she gets it so every time an occasion comes around that warrants a gift I never know what to get her because she already has what she said she wants leading up to that. Me thinks she is in for a rude awaking when kids come into the picture... ;)

• Author

Just a quick update. Talked it over with the wife and to make it fun we both agreed that what ever gift we are going to give we have get it while in Mexico on our anniversary trip. So I have no idea how that will turn out but at least we both have the same challenge. Bring on the Dos XX and let the games begin!

Originally posted by TUDOR

I think the traditional rules say the first year is supposed to be paper what ever that means.

wtf TUDOR...get the old lady a subscription to USA Today or People magazine :laugh:

or just write on a nice piece of stationary "I luvs you, snookums, happy 1 yr" :laugh:

naah...just take her to Outback for a nice steak dinner :laugh: