Indelicate predicament

LivingWaterPlease

Because of an injury I am unable to sit down. Hopefully a few days of standing up will bring about healing.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma (can't sit) before and if so would you care to share how you got through it? It's hugely inconvenient and tiring, also.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Can't sit at all? What about laying down? Do you usually sit for work? What kind of injury are we talking about?

I broke my tail bone in a horse back riding accident.

Sitting was miserable, but I could manage one cheek at a time ;) they also have me a "doughnut" to sit on but it didn't help much.

• Like 2

My daughter fell down stairs and injured her tailbone. Sitting on one cheek and lots of painkillers were the answer.

If too longer to heal, I'd also suggest a donut cushion.

• Like 1
  • Author
LivingWaterPlease

Thanks for replies, RecentChange and Basil67.

Sometimes I sit for work, sometimes stand, sometimes drive, sometimes just move about, thankfully don't have to sit all the time and do have choice as to what I do and when, it's just that standing all the time is tiring, that's the main thing. Driving is hard because I have to, obviously sit to drive! (since I'm not the captain of a ship, lol, don't they stand while "driving" the ship? or is it piloting the ship?)

Lol, am shy to post that the left side is injured from, I believe, being treated with chiropractic equipment too often. The equipment is a little bit jolting, not bad, but have been going so often that the repeat has roughed me up a bit, am afraid, combined with sitting at computer one time for four hours or so! Why, oh, why did I do that?

Am taking ibuprofen to sleep as it's also hard to lie down. Think there's a lot of inflammation there. I could take ibuprofen during the day and sit some but then I think I'd retard the healing process.

A donut would probably hit the injured place as it's not in the middle. I need a C shaped cushion I guess, so that I can put the open part where the injury is. Weird weird weird!!!:confused:

Edited by LivingWaterPlease
  • Like 1
  • Author
LivingWaterPlease
Can't sit at all? What about laying down? Do you usually sit for work? What kind of injury are we talking about?

I broke my tail bone in a horse back riding accident.

Sitting was miserable, but I could manage one cheek at a time ;) they also have me a "doughnut" to sit on but it didn't help much.

My daughter fell down stairs and injured her tailbone. Sitting on one cheek and lots of painkillers were the answer.

If too longer to heal, I'd also suggest a donut cushion.

Yikes, that sounds worse than what I have! How long did it take to heal?

It hurt to move for 3 weeks, and my tail bone ached and hurt off and on for years! So glad that is behind me :lmao:

I had crashed jumping a horse, and in my moment of adrenaline didn't realize I was injured. Got back on. Finished the course - then couldn't move without excruciating pain

• Like 1
  • Author
LivingWaterPlease
It hurt to move for 3 weeks, and my tail bone ached and hurt off and on for years! So glad that is behind me :lmao:

I had crashed jumping a horse, and in my moment of adrenaline didn't realize I was injured. Got back on. Finished the course - then couldn't move without excruciating pain

Yikes, resonates with me that the adrenaline of the moment kept you going, but yes, so glad it's behind you, too!:lmao:

A donut would probably hit the injured place as it's not in the middle. I need a C shaped cushion I guess, so that I can put the open part where the injury is. Weird weird weird!!!:confused:

Instead of getting a shaped cushion get a sturdy full cushion which has a sturdy foam inner and a zip up cover.

I got one of these things for ergonomic purposes for my work chair.

After using it a little while I found it was causing me back ache. The cushion I got was a wedge shaped (high at the back low at the front) one designed to make you sit straighter but the highest part right in the middle was hitting my tailbone too much so I took the foam inner out and cut a V-shape out of the back of it just where I needed it - it totally did the trick and the foam still hasn't fallen apart.

If you get something sturdy with a zip cover you could easily custom design the foam to suit you until you heal.

I got my cushion on Amazon for about £15.

• Like 1

Have you been to a pain management doctor? They can inject medicine into the spinal area which can help bring down the inflammation almost immediately so that you can begin to exercise whatever is ailing you through physical therapy.

Your spine is your center so it's very important to keep it in good working condition. If something's gone wrong to the point where you can no longer sit without pain I'd make an appointment to see a doctor right away, an MD or a DO though....not a chiropractor.

If you can, get hold of a commode, take out the toilet pan and just use the seat (pad it if necessary) the pan section will be open and may give you some relief. If you have a recliner, or even use cushions, set the recliner so you tilt back and your weight is put onto your back and shoulders rather than you bottom. I take morphine for the worse of my pain, or a strong opiate based painkiller for daily use. I try to stay of the morphine as it can be very addictive so save it for the worse times. I hope you find relief soon x

• Author
LivingWaterPlease
Have you been to a pain management doctor? They can inject medicine into the spinal area which can help bring down the inflammation almost immediately so that you can begin to exercise whatever is ailing you through physical therapy.

Your spine is your center so it's very important to keep it in good working condition. If something's gone wrong to the point where you can no longer sit without pain I'd make an appointment to see a doctor right away, an MD or a DO though....not a chiropractor.

Thank you so much, amaysngrace! You are right! A chiropractor wasn't the answer this time, though they have helped me a lot many times. This was a muscle problem, not a spinal one. However, chiropractic has helped me avoid back surgery for the neck/shoulder area for over fifteen years. This is different, lower back, though.

My mom has gotten injections for her back pain and I've gotten injections in my shoulder for injury but have decided not to do that anymore.

However, I'm thrilled and very surprised to be able to say that I'm fine today after not having sat down for days and having prayed about my pain and taken my herbal concoctions for inflammation. I did sit just a little yesterday, but not much at all.

I've taken ibuprofen at night to sleep as I wasn't able to lie down (or sleep in recliner) without pain, either.

I know that God doesn't always relieve pain when folks pray for relief (have had the experience of not having Him relieve pain at other times) but do believe He did for me this time and also through the use of the anti-inflammatory herbs.

Now I need to do exercises to strengthen my core.

If you can, get hold of a commode, take out the toilet pan and just use the seat (pad it if necessary) the pan section will be open and may give you some relief. If you have a recliner, or even use cushions, set the recliner so you tilt back and your weight is put onto your back and shoulders rather than you bottom. I take morphine for the worse of my pain, or a strong opiate based painkiller for daily use. I try to stay of the morphine as it can be very addictive so save it for the worse times. I hope you find relief soon x

Thanks, seren! You most likely read the above response to amaysngrace so know I'm OK now! But, to respond to your post, I've slept in a recliner for lower back pain comfortably during bouts that have occurred over the past year and a half but this was different and the only position I got relief from was standing! There was just so much inflammation in there, I guess.

• Author
LivingWaterPlease

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my post! It means so much that you took the time to do so.

Thankfully, I'm fine now and updated my condition in a post to amaysngrace and seren just above this one.

I'm supposed to go on a trip this week and thought I may have to call it off so am thrilled to be well.

I plan on doing exercises to strengthen my core now!

• Like 1