Fine lines already (I'm 29) should I be concerned?

I'm sure depends how close you look but make up definitely doesn't help, if anything if draws the attention to fine lines (ok maybe some primers help tiny bit but regular foundation - no).

I never understood why people believe they look younger. With or without lines 30 is NOT 18 and will never look any close. Even surgery etc don't make people look younger, just makes them good looking older women. Which is btw fine.

The carding is purely because it is the law. Nobody mistakes 25 yo crowds for 17 (heck the tired of life look already shows at 22;)) but they act on the principle better safe than sorry...

I've never paid much attention to mine, but to be honest I don't know anyone above the age of 20 who doesn't have a single fine line on their face. The reason why you might not see it often is because it can be covered up with makeup, but without makeup I think it's very normal to have a fine line here and there. I know that all my friends (of either gender) have them... and many of us still constantly get carded - in a country where the drinking age is 18! Also, I personally wish that we as a society wouldn't obsess over keeping women's faces looking like they're 18 all the time.

That being said, if your moisturizer is irritating your skin, it's the wrong cream for you. Constant skin irritation dries up your skin and will make things worse. I've read dermatologist advice that the best moisturizer is also one of the cheapest - simple aqueous cream. Seems to work well for me, and I have very sensitive skin.

Sunscreen is definitely needed, not just to prevent wrinkles but also to prevent skin cancer. However, if you have easily-irritated skin, it may be a bit more difficult to find sunscreen that doesn't irritate your face. So far I've had best luck with QV face moisturizing day cream (SPF 30+ - which is really as much as you need, see High SPF Sunscreens: Are they Better?). Reapply every two hours.

Don't forget to take care of the inside of your body too. It shows on the outside. Drink lots of water. General rule of thumb is half your weight in ounces of water. So if you weigh 140 lbs, drink 70oz of water a day. Water is great for your skin...and everything else. Try to cut down on sugar as much as possible. It's rough on our bodies.

And I agree with the botox. I started getting it when I was your age. But it was for my forehead. It helps make sure I'm not crinkling up my forehead making the lines deeper. It's more preventative. I'm 36 and everyone thinks I'm 25. I'm good with that. :)

For a blonde i have fairly good skin to the sun. I love to tan and always did. At 29 i had barely noticable minor wrinkles. I am over 40 now and i can say i wish i did more to orotect myself and went a bit easier on the rays. My sister looks worse so i got some of the lycky genes. Yes take care of your skin. I am not like some my age where their skin is showing that burn out look. When i am 50 i still want nice skin. Men seem to age better this way. My BF is 14 years older and his skin is holding up great. I am a tad jealous lol

• 2 weeks later...
Eat healthy and drink enough water.

Get enough rest.

Sun block.

Antioxidants.

Take care.

This. Creams, acids this fancy product and the next is a slippery slope designed to empty your wallet. I got my first lines at 30 and haven't really aged much since, the past decade or so except for the loss of facial fat when I dropped 2 dress sizes. It's not a linear thing, people age as they age.

I stopped using all manner of creams on my face and use only rosehip oil every other day and my skin improved dramatically. I read somewhere that putting cream on your face at night just saturates your skin and makes it pliable for pillow lines. Since I stopped putting much on my skin it improved a lot. I spent a good decade putting 'stuff' on my face and it just made my skin look worse. The acids particularly were the most irritating and least useful for me. I have fine porcelain skin. It's too irritating even in very low %.

Retinol is not a beauty product, it's a medical grade pharmaceutical and should not be used for beauty purposes. Its highly irritating.

Good diet, exercise, sunscreen, hat and glasses are the best you can do. Anything else is just a beauty product with the usual caveats. Designed to do such and such but no guarantees it actually does. It's not a requirement for a beauty aid to actually have proven results. Most of them are just water and plant wax, I know I used to make them. Any other ingredients on the label are present in fragrance amounts and are there to make you believe they are different to sorbolene, which most of them are not. Cold cream was invented 2,000 years ago and every cosmetic company in the world has been selling it under varying names ever since. You can make your own creams for around $2 a jar, no need to fork over $100 on something in some nice plastic.

Give it another 10yrs and it's likely you'll get over the wrinkle obsession. Most women do.

Edited by Buddhist
  • Like 1