Correct social blunder or move on?

Cinnamonstix

I keep obsessing about a social blunder I made yesterday. I randomly messaged a guy I went to elementary school with on Facebook because I was genuinely curious as to what happened to him. He seemed happy or at least intrigued to hear from me until I made a politically incorrect joke that was a continuation of a joke I made in elementary school. I thought he would remember but he didn't. Now I realize I just came off as immature and cruel.

I don't know whether to explain that I was just continuing a bad joke or leave it alone.

Edited by Cinnamonstix

He didn't recollect the joke or even the classmate, so he misconstrued your intent. Your best course is to save the off color jokes for people that know you well in your current life.

If you feel compelled to clear the air just mention that you feel foolish, you were reiterating a stupid joke from grade school that you assumed he would recollect and didn't mean to be insulting towards anyone, then move on to another topic.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks O'Malley.

I had already replied saying something similar. I sent another message saying that I feel bad for making that joke yesterday and that I don't actually find it funny to make fun of that specific group of people and that I was continuing a ****ty joke that I made in grade 4 with him.

I wish I'd read what you wrote because I would have included the part about thinking he would remember it and seeming immature and cruel. Hopefully those points are both implied. I also didn't change the subject.

Anyway, he seems like he responds right away usually and hasn't yet, so I'm not expecting a response. Now the challenge is to not obsess over what he thinks and focus on this being a learning experience.

The good news is he's no longer a super close friend so if he doesn't come around after your polite explanation then please just don't let it get to you. YOU know your intent was harmless, it's all that matters. Do not let it get you down. People judge all the time or get offended easily and if he did, no biggie...

• Like 1

We are not the same person as when in our learning years.

And thank goodness for that!

You made amends and kept your self respect. Sounds like you need to give yourself some reprieve for this social difference.