Is the hiring manager blowing me off?

proactivedreamer

I applied for a Leasing Consultant position about 2 weeks ago, and received a response from the Senior Portfolio Manager informing me that the position is still available, and to contact them if I am interested. I replied to her email and left a message, but she never responded. I called the corporate number, and was advised to contact the hiring manager at the property where the position is available at. I called and left a message with the receptionist, and waited several days with no call back. I called one day in the morning, and spoke with the Hiring Manager, and she explained to me that she had just printed out the resumes and was going to start calling to schedule interviews, but she would need to check her schedule and get back to me.

I waited 8 days, and called yesterday to check on the status of my application. The Hiring Manager answered, and we spoke briefly. It was a kind of off putting conversation because in one instance, she claimed that the Leasing Consultant position had been filled, but the Assistant Community Director position was still available, and then the next instance, she claimed it was still available. I went on to say that I received an email from so and so informing me that the Assistant Community Director position had been filled but the Leasing Consultant position is still available. She then said she would contact the person who emailed me, and would call/email today for an interview just as she did the first time we spoke.

Right now, I am commuting 2.5 hours a day to work at a dealership, so I am really motivated to change gears, and work much closer to home. With that being said, I am wondering if maybe they are looking for candidates with more direct experience and maybe that is why she hasn't gotten back me. But at the same, why say you are going to call the following day to schedule an interview, and not follow through? Any thoughts?

May I ask if you are willing to work for a business that doesn't promptly respond to interested applicants? That should be telling of the climate you are walking into. If feasible, I'd suggest personally arriving there and briefly garner an appointment . Its a bit aggressive yet shows you are determined and ambitious. Try not to second guess, you most likely have the skills.

• Like 1

You were a bit confrontational on the phone. Not good. Instead of pointing out the inconsistencies in her statements and implying that people there are lying to you, next time use the phone call as an opportunity to sell yourself. Like it or not, every interaction is in fact an interview.

Example:

While I had called about the Leasing Consultant role, since you mention the Assistant Director opening, I am also interested in that role. I've [rattle off relevant experience and credentials], which would fit in well with the responsibilities of that position. As for the Leasing Consultant role, it seemed ideal since I've done [rattle off more selling points].

Then close! Since you're just starting interview process, when might I next expect to hear from you. Once she gives you a time range (e.g. next week), inform her pleasantly that you look forward to hearing back and if you haven't heard anything in ten days (or whatever) you'll call back. Finish with why they're a great company and why you're eager to work for them. Keep it short, positive, and focused on your end goal...why you're perfect for the job and why they should give it to you.

Arguments and accusations about who gave you what misinformation are pointless and counterproductive. Don't put hiring managers on the defensive. No one seeks to hire a perceived trouble maker or someone they don't like on to their team. Learn to roll with the punches.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

No way would I work for a company that is that disorganized in the hiring process. Its not hard to hire someone, and they are ****ing it up. They just come off as extremely unprofessional to me.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
May I ask if you are willing to work for a business that doesn't promptly respond to interested applicants? That should be telling of the climate you are walking into. If feasible, I'd suggest personally arriving there and briefly garner an appointment . Its a bit aggressive yet shows you are determined and ambitious. Try not to second guess, you most likely have the skills.

This. Not only are they blowing you off, but obviously lying to you like that shows lack of professionalism and organization. Move on. You don't want to work in chaos like that. Consider it a bullet dodged.

• Like 1

Just like in dating, the person who is not interested in hiring someone wants to avoid a possible confrontation or awkward conversation so they prefer the applicant take the hint just like someone after a first date.

• Like 1

This company sounds disorganized and frankly -- if they really wanted you, they would have set up an interview already. Consider yourself lucky they're not interested, and apply to other positions at other companies!

Just like in dating, the person who is not interested in hiring someone wants to avoid a possible confrontation or awkward conversation so they prefer the applicant take the hint just like someone after a first date.

I tend to agree. If a hiring manager wants to hire and pursue an applicant they will. The hundreds of applicants they aren't interested in generally receive either no response or some canned rejection letter down the road.

If they are not calling you back they likely are not that interested. I'd take the hint.