wedding invite via text?

i *think* i received a wedding invitation via text but i'm not entirely sure. do people now send invites via text? has anyone done this, or received one? i got a message with the time, date and location of the wedding in 4 weeks. but it didn't say anything else. i know i could just ask, but what if it wasn't an invitation and just a notification?

wouldn't surprise me if it was the new way of getting folks to attend without shelling out for postage and stationary. Is it an impromptu wedding?

I doubt I would respond or attend... some life changing events deserve a bit more hospitality and a little less crassness.

• Like 2
acrosstheuniverse

I've not come across this yet but I've only been invited to one wedding before. Wouldn't surprise me though, it's not a big deal surely!? Sounds like they want to skip all of the fancy expensive stationery rubbish and just ask the people they care about to be there for their wedding day. How they do it is irrelevant. Either you want to share their day with them or not. They can't be that good a friend if the means of invite to their wedding is enough to make someone not want to go.

justanickname

I got once. Actually two or three, but they sent the actual invitations after, so it isn't counted.

The one I got was from my best friend, and she lives far away from me. She informed me way months before, so when she sent the invitation via text, it was fine. And I did join the ceremony.

• Like 1

sounds like it was a save the date text and hopefully the real invitation will come, normally though on a save date invite they mention that an invitation will arrive shortly.. might be best to ask

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland

In this day and age you can put together at minimum a nice online invitation and email/facebook it out for under $20 and with minimal effort.

A text message invite is pretty damn tacky. Prepare yourself for a full price cash bar and an expectation that if you give anything but cash they will take it back to the store for cash.

devilish innocent

You should ask. My guess is that it was the couple's way of inviting you to their wedding. I've been to a couple weddings where the couple wanted me to come, but never bothered to send out an invite. It puts the guests in an awkward spot of having to make sure they're really invited. I'm not a fan of this type of behavior, but what can you do?

• Like 1
You should ask. My guess is that it was the couple's way of inviting you to their wedding. I've been to a couple weddings where the couple wanted me to come, but never bothered to send out an invite. It puts the guests in an awkward spot of having to make sure they're really invited. I'm not a fan of this type of behavior, but what can you do?

I usually respond that I look forward to the formal invitation by mail. That seems to set things straight, otherwise consider the text response as a No show.