monistat makes yeast infection worse?

About a month ago, I had a severe yeast infection and was prescripted 2 pills to take by the mouth by my gyno. Then within 2 weeks, I started my period. I believe that the pills helped get rid of the infection but right after my period, sex was painful again. It either did not clear up or it came right back. Anyways, I took Monistat 1 yesterday night and today, the discharge seem to be even more than when I used Monistat 1. Is it suppose to be like this? Or should I go see my gyno again?

HotCaliGirl

The discharge should not be more when you are taking Monistat. What color/odor is the discharge? It might be another type of infection. I don't think a yeast infection would make sex painful and I don't think it would return so soon after taking the antibiotics. Maybe you have a bacterial infection.

If it is a thick white chunky discharge like cottage cheese then it is a yeast infection.

If it is a milky fluidy discharge - clear or yellow and has an odor, then it is not a yeast infection but something more serious.

In any case, I would go back to the doctor because it should have gone away and not get worse after treatment.

• Author

It's thick-cottage cheese like discharge. There isn't much of a odor to it because I can't smell anything.

...especially since you took oral meds for the first infection - I've been reading that there are strains of yeast infection that are becoming resistant to Monistat-type drugs. Better to be safe and not suffer for another week...

I agree. Don't try to fix this on your own. Talk to your doc right away.

Originally posted by jacquelyn

Anyways, I took Monistat 1 yesterday night and today, the discharge seem to be even more than when I used Monistat 1. Is it suppose to be like this? Or should I go see my gyno again?

Is it the ointment draining? It has to come out and it'll come out the same way discharge does.

• Author
Originally posted by Pocky

Is it the ointment draining? It has to come out and it'll come out the same way discharge does.

hmm. Well my theory is, since I stuck the pill inside, it could be dissolving and making the yeast more of a liquid [although I still see some lumps of it] so it can come out easier. I mean, if i use monistat 1, how is the yeast suppose to come out? It doesn't just disappear now, does it? I don't know. It just seems logical to me. But who knows. I'm no doctor and this is my first time getting this infection.

Originally posted by jacquelyn

hmm. Well my theory is, since I stuck the pill inside, it could be dissolving and making the yeast more of a liquid [although I still see some lumps of it] so it can come out easier. I mean, if i use monistat 1, how is the yeast suppose to come out? It doesn't just disappear now, does it? I don't know. It just seems logical to me. But who knows. I'm no doctor and this is my first time getting this infection.

Well the tablet will melt with your body heat and it will create a substance that will have to drain. Add that to the yeast discharge and you'll still see some draining until the infection is gone and the Monistat has worked itself out. Generally, it takes me two-three days to completely stop seeing the ointment drain. And the discharge already created by the infection will still need to drain from your body. Monistat will only stop your body from producing more discharge - it won't cause what has been created already to disappear.

There's only one way out for the discharge and the dissolved Monistat. :p

blind_otter

My OB told me not to use Monsitat 1. I think you probably need another round of diflucan.

• Author

when i used diflucan, it didnt really seem to drain out the discharge. it just sorta disappeared. hehe. sounds weird but it happened. i think the monistat 1 is working now because the draining of discharge is only when i go pee now. and when i take a look, there arent as much discharge. i hope everything is good. if not, i have an appointment with my gyno on monday. i can't wait to get rid of this. it's been 6 weeks now. :(