Depressed after listening to an astrologer

come from a very orthodox family. I'm not really an orthodox or a religious person but my family are. I've been trying to recover from anxiety and depression issues lately and I have been making some positive changes but all changed now.

My life has been bad lately, I graduated from engineering with crap grades and still unemployed. I tried getting into grad school but it failed as well. I could say the reason I have crap grades is due to my anxiety issues and low confidence.

My family believes in astrology a lot and they talked to an astrologist about my situation. The astrologist said the following things about me..

I would face a lot of complex problems in life.

According to the astrologist, I wasted my time studying engineering and I am not fit to be an engineer.

I have a dream of studying in a university abroad but he says..that dream will never come true as I have a lot of bad luck in my life. He told my father not to support me if I want to study abroad.

He also said I don't have a bright future and I might become a failure.

And I would fail in relationships as well.

I know I'm being irrational and I dont' know whether I should believe these or not but I feel like my confidence and self esteem hit rock bottom. I know I'm responsible for my own life but hearing someone say I have a lot of bad luck in my life shattered me.

If your dream is engineering you have a logical mind & appreciate science. Astrology is NOT science. The person who told you these things doesn't know any more about your future then a random person you meet on the street.

If you have a dream sit down & right out the steps you will take to achieve your dream. Then go do it.

If you aren't willing to work for it, then the person was right. You aren't fit to be an engineer but not because of your birth sign or some planetary alignment but because you won't put in the effort

futureglory263

Hello Yami, thanks for sharing...looks like things have not been going well =( i'm sorry to hear about the things you've been going through and the negative things that have been told about you.

You mention that you know you are responsible for your own life. I agree with you wholeheartedly. But as we've all experienced, life is full of hardship and suffering...even if things go our way most of the time, we will all inevitably face failures and disappointments. Some people more than others, "luck" in a sense.

I feel from your words that you don't truly believe what this astrologist is telling you, yet his words have affected you. Whether you want to believe this person or not is purely up to you, but as you've mentioned you are responsible for your own life. And having this responsiblity, you are free to choose how this news will affect you: either negatively (giving into its beliefs) or positively (disregarding this negativity and remembering that you are responsible for your own life, and setting goals to make a positive impact on your future).

I just want to encourage you to keep making these positive changes in recovering from your anxiety and depressive issues. Are you seeing a therapist or talking with your doctor in getting help with these issues? What are these positive changes you mention that you have been making that have been helping you? Continue with those things!

While you can't change your grades, you can change what you are looking for. Perhaps you can start looking for an internship or an unpaid position in your field of engineering, that would eventually be able to help you secure a full time paid position in your field? Have you tried networking? Like all professionals, engineers have various conferences and seminars..perhaps you can find one near you that you can attend and get to know some people in your field? They also have forums, just like this one!

lastly, i want to say that you are not a failure =) throughout life, we will be bombarded with things we are told from people, the media, advertisements, etc., that we are not successful enough, smart enough, good looking enough, etc. if we believe those lies, we would never have the courage to live our lives. but as it is, none of us are perfect. but we must continue to do the best with what we have been given to us.

I know you mentioned you are not particularly religious, but I believe the Scriptures have a lot to tell us about our worth and purpose in life. One of my favorite passages is Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. really wishing you all the best!

lollipopspot

According to the astrologist, I wasted my time studying engineering and I am not fit to be an engineer.

I have a dream of studying in a university abroad but he says..that dream will never come true as I have a lot of bad luck in my life. He told my father not to support me if I want to study abroad.

What kind of a **** astrologist is that? He doesn't know if you're fit to be an engineer (although your grades might indicate that), if your dreams will ever come true, and what luck you will have in your life. Why is he talking to your father? Is this some family friend?

He also said I don't have a bright future and I might become a failure.

And I would fail in relationships as well.

Yikes. Find a new astrologist. I don't believe in astrology, but there are "professional" astrologists who don't nose their way into their client's lives like this, and will give you tools based on what is POSITIVE in your chart (there is positive in everyone's chart), rather than freaking you out by the power of suggestion that your life will be bad.