Does anyone get annoyed when guys use meetup.com as a dating site?

I'm on meetup to meet new people and make new friends. I don't go on there to private message "cute guys" and set up dates with them. I know going to events can be used to potentially meet someone and date someone, but now guys are using it as tools. This guy private messaged me-just basic chit chat on how he wants to meet new people-I replied asking if he's been to any events, I wouldn't mind having some guy friends, then he asked if I was single and looking. I was like wth? I'm not in any singles group, why ask me that.

He's being friendly. He asked about whether you are single to determine if he's improperly pursuing someone not available. If you are not interested, so be it but really it's nothing get annoyed about.

• Like 1

Because many people use Meet-up as a dating tool without having to deal with the convention of using sites like PoF or OKCupid.

I - as a woman - certainly did when I was single. Why shouldn't guys do it too? Where's the harm?

• Like 2

I think there is a way to turn off the IM feature on Meetup if you don't want random people contacting you.

angel.eyes

Yes, you can block messages from everyone except organizers if you like. You can also take a more targeted approach and block specific individuals from messaging you. There's also an option to report those who continue to harass you with unwanted messages. Enough reports from different people and that gets them booted off Meetup (not just your group) pretty quickly.

Folks are on Meetup for different reasons. I have a large circle of friends, but they don't share some of my interests. So, I'm there to have fun doing specific activities. I'm not there to find dates or friends. It's just like the gym. Some people are there to find dates/hookups or socialize and make friends. I'm there to get my workout.

If you're on different pages, make that clear and keep going. Block and/or report the ones who refuse to get the message. Simple.