What is appropriate?

flowergirl14

flowergirl14

My 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son were horsing around tonight. My 10yr old daughter walked into my sons room and kicked a rubber ball and it broke my sons expensive flat screen lcd tv that he got for his b-day. Son is mad and sad to say the least. Daughter was crying because of son.

What do i do? 1. Chalk it up to horseplay gone wrong. 2. Make daughter pay for a new tv or a portion?

3. Some other punishment ?

4. Or nothing at all ?

I'm not a parent but I would think the daughter needs consequences. Perhaps a time out of some sort, a written apology to her brother & some financial responsibility for the TV. At 10 I don't think you can make her pay for the whole thing but maybe 10%?

She's too young to hold fully responsible, but she should lose her smart phone or electronics for a week and apologize to her brother. And honestly, he's at the age now he probably deserves a little more privacy than letting her go in there without asking him first, if that is what is going on.

mrs rubble

I would claim on my insurance if the excess was low enough. It was clearly unintentional. That is what insurance is for, teach both kids why we insure things. Daughter and son both already feel bad....why add to the misery?

whichwayisup
My 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son were horsing around tonight. My 10yr old daughter walked into my sons room and kicked a rubber ball and it broke my sons expensive flat screen lcd tv that he got for his b-day. Son is mad and sad to say the least. Daughter was crying because of son.

What do i do? 1. Chalk it up to horseplay gone wrong. 2. Make daughter pay for a new tv or a portion?

3. Some other punishment ?

4. Or nothing at all ?

They both are at fault, yes she kicked the ball around but I'm guessing he was kicking it as well. They were horsing around, stuff happens and things break.

I'm sure she feels just awful for breaking his tv... With that said, maybe this is a sign that your son (and daughter) shouldn't have a tv in their bedroom.

I would claim on my insurance if the excess was low enough. It was clearly unintentional. That is what insurance is for, teach both kids why we insure things. Daughter and son both already feel bad....why add to the misery?

I totaly agree with mrs rubble.

kids play, get carried away, don't forsee outcome and consequenses.

They feel bad and sad already.

My two boys then and now my grandkids insurance had to pay enough to build me a Eiffel Tower in the backyard.

I now a LCD is expensive, but a childs mind is priceless.

( we got a spare LCD in the attic, Just in case.)

Your Lucky and blessed to have playfull kids.

Dutchman 1

What an opportunity to demonstrate respect for property and privacy.

if she is truly remorseful, sit them both down and let the son decide how she can make restitution. Naturally as the parent you can play mediator and work towards a just result. It teaches the son to display fairness and your daughter how to make amends thru actions.