The witnesses.

The Introvert

Well I'have been attending the meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses of The Watchtower upon invitation and I am getting interested in their way of doing things but I THINK I'm yet to know whether they are well meaning or not....ARE THEY A BUNCH OF PROFITEERING CROOCKS?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
DinnerForOne

I absolutely do not believe they are a bunch of Profiteering Crooks.

I was brought up in the religion from birth, never got baptised and have not attended a meeting since I was 17. (I'm 46 now). My mother and aunts and cousins are still very involved.

What I will say is that the way the religion was presented to me was not in a positive way. I lived in fear. I've always been a "rule" keeper, it's just part of who I am, and I was VERY VERY hard on myself. So if I stepped "out-of-line" I would suffer terrible guilt. Not reasonable guilt or understanding that I am an imperfect being; I'm talking self loathing. But that's just me.

I do think there is a lot of Dogma that surrounds their beliefs. This is my own personal view.

Based on the indoctrination during my most impressionable years, I am left feeling very conflicted about God and Religion as a whole. I am scared to explore other options of spirituality for fear of turning my back on Jehovah.... so I am left feeling empty and even find difficulty in praying because I feel so darned sinful in his eyes.

I would just try to separate the "Dogma" from the actual teachings, if that's possible. I never could.

ETA: I've had a look at some of those links sent to you. Not everything they say there is true. Not about their beliefs and not about who they actually are. Don't believe everything you read. And by the way - I'm also down in Africa.

Edited by DinnerForOne