Homemaking Resources?

Hi LS!

I've started studying homemaking and don't really know where to begin. I'm a busy single dad and its not coming easily. I do have one thing going for me: I'm a neat freak. I tend to just throw labor at the problem (thats normal right?), but I want to get things automated. I have 3 very able and wonderful children, but am clueless when it comes to organizing their help and effort into the home.

I've heard of flylady and see lots of books on the topic at amazon. Does anyone know of any good books or resources or have some experiences they can share? Ideas on where I could find a pro homemaker to coach me?

To you lurking homemakers: how do you tackle household management?

I'm lousy at it but there are tons of books, there are articles on the internet. Many of the sites are focused toward budgets & frugality.

I typed homemaking into a search engine & got a lot of hits. They were skewed toward women & religion but something may click for you.

Also search organization.

Try reading some women's magazines like Ladies' Home Journal, Better Homes & Gardens or Woman's Day.

• Like 1

I have a great recommendation for you - The Complete Guide To Getting and Staying Organized by Karen Ehman. She also had a two day broadcast on a radio program called Practical Tips for Organizing A Busy Home. If you want information on how to get that show on CD or how to listen to it online send me a private message. I don't usually post links openly. Anyway - hope you look into the book at least because it is exactly what you are looking for. Blessings!

• Like 3

Too funny, I didn't know they wrote books about it! :confused: If you're good with housekeeping and have helpful kids that's half the battle. I do a little every day so that I don't find myself overwhelmed on any one day. No clutter, I am anti-clutter. If I don't use it or need it, it's gone to trash, charity or friends. Paperwork is my nemesis because I get doubtful about what to keep, what to throw and what to shred. I have file folders hidden inside an reclaimed wood chest in my office. (don't care for the metal) It doubles as a coffee table and no one knows what's in there, bonus.

If you have any questions about best cleaning products and/or tools, I'm the girl. I also take care of an acre myself so I've learned a few things there but you probably have got all of this covered. Sorry I don't have a book recommendation but I have Amazon and I'll be checking this out too now. :)

• Like 1
Zippity-Doo-Dah

I'm a minimalist stay-at-home/homeschool mom and I'm guessing that you are over-thinking this. You have to find your groove and adapt it almost daily without stressing over it. That ain't easy! How old are the kids? Do you have them all the time? You need a big calendar, a white board, and a sense of humor. Teach the kids to get everything they have due, places they have to be, etc on the calendar. If they are young - go through school folders or whatever and get it all on one calendar. I used a big paper calendar for years but as my kids got older, and I got more savvy, I switched to my cell phone calendar which has the added bonus of the 'reminder' function. Meals and cleaning need to stay flexible. Have a goal that works for you but adapt as needed. I assume you work outside the home - so maybe turn Saturday into cleaning/laundry/pre-cooking day and do it as a family and not just you doing everything then do fun family things together on Sundays. If the kids are young - get them on board so that when they are surly teenagers they know the routine and the expectations. I came up with dozens of creative ways to keep the house in order over the years - none of them stuck, but they all had good seasons where they were effective. That's where you just have to tell yourself that flexibility is an asset and learn to roll with it. The whiteboard is a huge part of our family life now. We actually have two - one is a running grocery list and the other is for communicating with each other/reminders, etc. They are on the fridge and don't get moved. The older the kids are, the more responsible they should be for their own cleaning and laundry and some meal prep. They should be helping and the earlier you start expecting that the better. The trick it to just make is seem normal and not make a big production out of it. Life happens and it's better when you do it together. all of it. messy stuff and all.

I decided a long time ago that having a perfect home was too stressful and I learned to embrace a little bit of mess. I try to keep the kitchen clean and the family room straightened up. Clutter drives me crazy, but I can live with dust - some people are the opposite. My mother was a neat freak but never had a conversation with me. I chose to be the opposite. You'll find your groove - just don't get obsessive over it. Time flies and it's the relationship with your kids that trumps everything else.

Edited by Zippity-Doo-Dah
  • Like 1
  • Author
I'm a minimalist stay-at-home/homeschool mom and I'm guessing that you are over-thinking this. You have to find your groove and adapt it almost daily without stressing over it. That ain't easy! How old are the kids? Do you have them all the time?

I'm giving this alot of thought because I've regularly made the investment to keep a clean and organized home -- I just want more. I want the home to run better, stay cleaner and be more automated. Like most parents I've got alot of demand on my time: 80 hour work weeks + cleaning + kids + cooking + exercise + travel -- you get my meaning. I don't know of many things that have a similar satisfaction as a well-run home full of love.

The kids are with me about half the time, aged 9,11 and 13. I've assumed that reaching a high level of automation and efficiency is going to take some hard work and habit changes!

You need a big calendar, a white board, and a sense of humor. Teach the kids to get everything they have due, places they have to be, etc on the calendar. If they are young - go through school folders or whatever and get it all on one calendar.

What sorts of recurring events do you have on a home calendar? How do you make the calendar maintenance by the kids effortless?

The older the kids are, the more responsible they should be for their own cleaning and laundry and some meal prep. They should be helping and the earlier you start expecting that the better. The trick it to just make is seem normal and not make a big production out of it. Life happens and it's better when you do it together. all of it. messy stuff and all.

I've started changing my mentality toward it in a similar way so this is encouraging.

"Every home is a farm and on a farm everyone works if they want to eat"

At one point I made a schedule of chores. Like bathrooms cleaned on Mondays, living room on Tuesdays.

Put things away as soon as you get it. Start teaching your kids now how to help as well.

Your kids are certainly old enough to be in on doing chores and sharing the laod.

but don't make the mistake of turning this into a 'me and them' situation.

You guys are an 'us'. So involve them.

Have a family conference.

Discuss chores, and fair distribution, discuss helping each other, what's reasonable, and what's do-able.

From loading the dishwasher to sweeping the yard.

Discuss reward (hiring a movie, going for a pizza, trip to the park, making something together) and 'punishment' (no going out with buddies, no computer have to do washing up three nights running....)

make sure that you all agree that the chores/ewards/punsihments are age-suitable. While they're old enough to pitch in and get involved, the 9-year-old is not going to be as bale-bodied and capable as the 13-year-old, so make the young 'un sweep the yard, and the older one put the trash out, that kind of thing.

Form a family committee. Agree together on stuff.

That way, they can't argue with you if a punishment is imposed, or one kid seems to be getting away with murder....

Emphasise tidiness.

Get three large tubs or baskets, and put them on the stairs. One for each child.

Their belongings go in there, and at the end of the day, before bed, they put their stuff away.

Get them all their own wash-baskets for clothes, and teach them how to fold stuff properly.

There's so much you can do to get the children on your side.

But try to not be obsessive. You have kids. Let them remember that being with you is fun, and you're a great dad.

When push comes to shove, I'll take ten minutes playing ball with my kid, against clearing cobwebs in the living room, any time....