I can't move past the aquaintence stage

SpiralOut

This is mostly my own fault. I get to know someone well enough in a group setting, that I probably COULD invite them to hang out one-on-one, or in a smaller group. If they happen to invite me to something I'll go. But I don't initiate.

I guess I'm nervous that I'll mess it up if I let them get to know me better, or I'm worried they'll say "no" because they don't actually like me that much. Or maybe the friendship will be another bad one. I've had so many bad friendships in the past I almost forget what a good one is like.

Right now there is a girl from a fitness group I could invite out. I'm sure she likes me, so if she said no, it would be because she really is too busy. And my bf's friend's wife wants to hang out with me. I would like to hang out with her too but in a group first. I only met her one time and we didn't talk much. In a small group I could get to know her better without it being too awkward. I guess I could plan something myself but for some reason I am waiting for other people to plan it.

I'm feeling frustrated with myself. Most people tend to like me when they meet me. I want to have more friends, since I don't have many right now, yet I feel more comfortable holding people at arm's length. I feel like I'm on the diving board at a pool and I can't jump off.

• Like 1
  • Author

The idea of throwing a party scares me. What if nobody shows up and then I look stupid? What if it goes badly? If I go to another event, I can leave whenever I want, but if I'm hosting something myself I can't leave! I thought the worst of my social anxiety was over but it's still here.

You could throw a get together at a park or something instead of your house if the weather is nice enough. Then it is a public place everyone can just meet there & leave when ever. I think that even if only a couple people show up it would still be fun!

• Like 1
  • Author

I messaged the one girl asking her if she still goes jogging. I know that she used to, and she lives close to me and I want to start jogging this spring. So basically I'm inviting her to be a jogging buddy. I think that's a good start.

As for the other girl, I'm still thinking about it. Those are my bf's friends, not mine, so maybe I will bug him to plan a night out at the pub or something. Or we could do a get-together at his house.

I would like to do a game night at my place. I could invite a few of the girls from the fitness group. That might work. I did put a lot of work into making my living room look nice so I could invite people over. Hmmm.