How to handle a sneaky competitive coworker

I have been working at a relatively small office for over 4 years and in my early thirties. There is a much younger coworker who in my opinion is a little too arrogant for her age. I handle a vast amount of different types of duties. I obviously have more work experience than her and by title I am higher than her. She didn't have to officially interview for the position because she knew a family member in a different department and started here when in school.

She seems to love attention and wants to be that shining star and take on work that brings attention to her. Not all duties bring attention and you can't get a pat on the back for everything you do. She makes sure to say something each staff meeting. I understand what she is doing and it's fine but it's more than obvious she is trying to just stand out like she is super important.

There is a project that came up almost a year ago..one separate section was hers and I was given this other area. It wasn't such a "hot topic" when I started doing it but nonetheless I wasn't given a lot of direction and had to come up with my own memo to send out to different departments and figure out a way to get this ongoing project going. Fast forward 9 months later our vp wants to turn this thing into a policy employees of the institution will have to follow..now the area/project I am working on is suddenly going to grab a lot of attention and at this point it's been over 9 months of me doing it.

She came to me one day and said she thinks the memo I had would work better with a visual aid..she handles some of that at times and I said honestly either or is fine with me. In the back of my mind I thought--she is going to try and take credit for what I am doing and weasel her way into doing the work because now it is bringing attention. She then wanted my opinion on the "visual card" but then said she is going to keep the bottom portion as is..WHICH SAID to contact HER with a confirmation etc etc. I was too nice about it now that I look back but I said if you want, put my information down. I said the information will be coming from me and it will be good for me to know.

She changed it and said she will be giving it to so and so for approval and then that person will speak to our vp. She does work with the other girl which makes me think they will find a way to weasel her way into a project I have been working for 9 months now. In my opinion I am fine using a memo but people love a visual card as well and I am not going to be argumentative over that. I don't agree with her putting her name on something that I am clearly working on. At this point the memo should reflect what I am doing and if feedback is needed from employees it should go to me as well. It doesn't make sense for it to go to her. I decided to email the person it would be going to and explained how I am aware of the upcoming visual aid for this project and once it is approved I will begin to use that and will also present it etc etc. I wanted her to be aware that this area is something I have been working on and for her to have the arrogance to want to even have her name on it and have me stop using a memo I created 9 months ago is shady and shows lack of character.

I am really disgusted and don't know if I should take any further steps or wait to see what occurs next? She clearly wants the attention with this on her even though this is something I am already handling by myself and it doesn't need her involvement. It is like her presenting something and me sending out a notification to contact me about it. It's wrong and shady.

What do I do next? Or wait and see?

I think I'd go to the boss and just tell her in the most neutral and minimal way possible that now that you've done 90 percent of the work on this project, it seems like this girl is trying to step in and put her name on it some way and just ask the supervisor if this is something she was told to do or if she's just doing it.

• Author

I figured I would go to the boss if it was somehow pushed again for her to be involved with it at this point. I didn't ask to have this visual aide created and if someone higher up approves it, it should reflect the memo I created and the fact that this is an area I am handling and therefore should have my name on it to contact me.

Is there something else I should say to her if this is brought up again? It pretty much made me dumbfounded she had the arrogance and guts to even suggest this is a confident tone.

I decided to email the person it would be going to and explained how I am aware of the upcoming visual aid for this project and once it is approved I will begin to use that and will also present it etc etc. I wanted her to be aware that this area is something I have been working on and for her to have the arrogance to want to even have her name on it and have me stop using a memo I created 9 months ago is shady and shows lack of character.

My suggestion is to stop trying to show others that she's shady and shows a lack of character. You involving someone else in this matter really has the potential to make you look bad.

I honestly hate to say this, but as an outsider reading your story, you initially come across as a bitter, jealous coworker. You clearly don't like her on a personal level and if I were your boss, I would think that your feelings toward her may be clouding your judgment of her work. You did open your post by saying that you feel as though she is too arrogant for her age and that she got hired because of her connections. I understand that you were just trying to give some background to the story, but it said something about your opinion of her. You don't like her, so obviously you won't ever like any of the work she does.

I think that all you can do in the future is to be more assertive and not allow someone else to put their name on your work. Hopefully, it's not too late for you to nicely tell her that you appreciate her help in making the visual aid, but that you're going to need your own name listed as the contact person because you're taking ownership of this project. Handle these things when the happen - don't allow them to happen and then complain to a third party that someone's encroaching on your ****.

• Author

I sent the email to the person who probably know about the upcoming aid but maybe isn't aware I am the one handling it-which is all my email is stating and how once the aid is approved I can the utilize it etc. It doesn't mention anytging negative or anything about what happened. It was to try and nip and anything else in the bud of this progressing further and an even bigger conflict.

Don't lower yourself into the pettiness of this type of office gossip, in the end you will become the loser.

Keep doing your project.. and don't make waves, your uppers know who did the project, a 9 month project can't be swept under the rug and another person take credit for it without all the important people in the company knowing who really did it..

I figured I would go to the boss if it was somehow pushed again for her to be involved with it at this point. I didn't ask to have this visual aide created and if someone higher up approves it, it should reflect the memo I created and the fact that this is an area I am handling and therefore should have my name on it to contact me.

Is there something else I should say to her if this is brought up again? It pretty much made me dumbfounded she had the arrogance and guts to even suggest this is a confident tone.

I think if I were you, I'd just ask the girl, "Did someone ask you to get involved on my project?" If no, I'd just tell her, "You know what, it's 90 percent done and under control, but thanks."

And no matter what it takes, you should not let that go out with her name on it anywhere. If she's doing it, stop her. If it's someone else typing it, tell them to stop it. But do find out in case someone told her to intervene on her work, which I very much doubt. I'd just mention it to the supervisor first instead of relying on the woman to give you the truth. Nip it in the bud. If the supervisor says she's trying to be helpful, tell her it's as good as already done and her input at this stage is just disruptive, plus that you think it's odd she's trying to put her name on it.