TV addiction...?

genuinelyloverly7

genuinelyloverly7

Hello- Does anyone recognize this as an addiction? I know that 'anything can be an addiction' but sometimes I wonder if that is real.

I spend way to much time watching re-runs of my favorites, usually while I do computer work. At first it made sense, because as an abuse victim, watching all the cop shows was emotionally gratifying- I saw abusers get put away (and even shot) by the good guys! But now I have habituated it into a lifestyle and want to stop.

It's been a long time since I first started watching TV- almost 8 years, when I left my abusive (now ex) husband. In high school I rarely watched more than an hour a week (granted this was in the 90's)- I even had a 'kill your TV' shirt!

So how can I stop watching TV ALL the time? Music works for a while, but I can't stand commercials! (I watch TV on netflix or the computer some other way), so the radio is out, and I need a new CD player. Movies help a little- I can put on a classic in the background while I work, but that only works for so long, as I am super picky about my movies!

I'd love to be one of those people who NEVER watch TV, unless it's PBS or the independent film channel, but apparently I've become obsessed with watching bad guys get put away by hot men in tight clothes. Help!

sdrawkcaB ssA

Anything can be an addiction, as long as it is something that you cannot deal with out on a daily basis.

There are a lot of things we take for granted that we feel we can not live without. Only if you find yourself always in need of one thing or another to fill in an empty feeling.

Some can't go to sleep without the TV on... now is that an addiction??? Just jesting. Hehehehehe!!!

Do you like to read? Maybe you can pick up reading instead?

I feel like most TV shows can be redundant, and when I notice the repetitiveness, it tames the addiction.

But you don't have to force yourself to love PBS, or independent stuff. Everyone has their vices - and most are okay in moderation.

evanescentworld

Gradual detachment seems impossible for you.

So you need to go Cold Turkey.

Unsubscribe from feeds, and give the tv to someone else.

The only way you can get over this is self-deprivation.

Work out how you can best do it - then do it.

And yes - read, go out for walks, write, knit, paint, decorate, tidy up the house from top to bottom.

TV is the universal biggest time-waster there is.

• Like 1
  • Author
genuinelyloverly7

Yes- TV is a time and brain suck. It's definitely about habit-forming for me, so I need to re-write my habits.

I am one of the biggest bibliophiles I know- I have a HUGE collection- but they can be a time-suck too... just one more chapter... just on more chapter... oh wow- I finished the book (in one day)! And the dishes still aren't done! Yay! So I turned to TV as a way to listen to something like a story, and still do other stuff... but no. It's not working. So I will try my next plan- music with headphones. And no chairs in my house. Hahaha- just kidding.

Self-discipline is my real issue. I lost it somewhere back there in the depressed fuzz of emotional divorce. A stretched out process for sure, even without the aspects of a legal marriage ending.

I used to practice yoga ALL the time. I felt so very self-disciplined then, simply because I was doing what I really wanted to be doing with my time. The energy generated by that action motivated the rest of my day. When I stopped doing the things that bring me joy (joy=emotional energy) I stopped feeding my soul.

Writing this out has really helped me to see how it is such a vicious cycle.

Depression--tired--time-suck actions--more tired--more depressed--more time suck...

I am going to practice yoga today! Even if it just for 5 or 10 minutes. And then tomorrow I will add another 10 minutes... I will see if that helps, and let ya'll know.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I've realized from self-imposing abstinence from video games, is that there is too little time even without video games to do the things I want to.

Video games and tv shows become less of a priority (which may not have been the case as an escape or something I needed to watch because it was "cool" or socially "required"), when suddenly one wakes up and takes charge of things that really matter: career, exercise and health, diet, home and gardening improvements, or hanging out with friends IN PERSON.

Whatever's made you come to your senses-- that might be something I'd look into (i.e. parent nagging => not enough time with parents) or an indirect connection to something you don't feel satisfied about.

Note: I'm not doing these things because I'm concerned with how I'm seen with others. It's because I GENUINELY feel these things are important to me.

Edited by jonsnuh
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

do you hang out often? maybe chatting with your friends will help you to staw away from tv for a while. Or try some different things that will interest you, sports maybe, or cooking class?

most_distant_galaxy

Yes, I think you have to consciously avoid the TV. Don't turn it on out of habit. Also, how about downloading some audio books? I recommend "the red necklace" with the wonderful voice of Tom Hiddleston. :love: I loved hearing it while doing dishes and the such. But there are a lot of audio books or podcasts to choose from!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
genuinelyloverly7

Hey thanks everyone! I didn't seem to get the last few replies in my stats lists, or whatever it is called.

I think that this original post was written in a desperate moment of feeling lonely and like my mostly solitary life was driving me nuts! I am still watching the netflix episodes of Frasier and STNG in my moments of eating dinner and doing paperwork chores, but the change away from this habit-that-turns-bad really comes from having other things I need to do being a focus, eating healthy (I feel SO much better both physically AND emotionally/mentally when I am eating raw fruits and vegetables) and exercising enough. The "TV" seems to loom up when I am depressed as an example of how much I suck, and how much my life sucks, and how much the two are related.

I am not depressed right now. I plan on not being depressed again. We will see. :bunny:

• 4 weeks later...