Nicotine addiction...

todreaminblue
I keep hearing good things about Vapage ecigarettes. Good way to wean yourself off. Expensive initially but over time cheaper. No smoke, just water vapor. Here is an article.

i have these exact cigarettes.....they are good because a lot of the reason why i have smoked is others around me smoking when i am with non smokers like actually all my family ....we dont smoke.....out of respect and understanding.......and the fact is i have a high level of nervous energy...people wouldnt know by looking at me but inside i am jumping up and down yelling my head off heart beat going crazy............i am always on guard......for confrontations and arguments i need to diffuse fairly quickly....so my brain is always going a hundred miles an hour.....

so its a mixture of deep breathing and craving for space that an e cigarette provides when i become anxious......makes e cigarettes perfect for me...when i am stressed i shallow breathe..and i get dizzy...when i inhale i start to deep breathe sets off a calming influence...these e cigarettes do work.......i have fallen a couple of times when my smoke hasnt been charged.....but if i have it handy i dont smoke......i dont consider myself a non smoker yet ....but in actual fact ....i nearly am and i havent been able to say that for a long time......i gave up once before as a necessary step.......but....fell back into it after i became mentally sick......i am back on track to never smoking again......and e cigarettes are the way for me...they are suitable....that and prayer.......one day ill be able to say ...yep deb did it......yay...ill get there.......deb

• Like 1

I gave up smokeless tobacco 3 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I have done. I had to use nicotene gum. It took me another 8 months to get off of the gum.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes, sounds like they would be a good way to stop smoking.

There are several NRT's (nicotine replacement therapies) available now-a-days. I am currently on the patch...it helps in a small way with the withdrawal symptoms but does nothing to curb the cravings.

So I'm getting a little help, I mean I could NEVER go completely cold turkey...I have nothing but the outmost respect and admiration for those who have gone that route and succeeded :)

• Like 1

I have something called Kanger Tech EVOD. Kind of looks like a fat ball point pen and you fill it with liquid. It comes with two in a box and it's around 4o dollars and it's well worth it because you can buy the liquid in all kind of flavors and strengths of nicotine It's well worth the price and the liquid is only like 8 bucks a bottle and it lasts a long time. I fill mine up at noon and could go to the next day around mid afternoon before I refill it.

• Like 2

I can relate. I quit smoking cigarettes cold-turkey (no patch, no nicotine gum) about 13 years ago. I used to buy Old Drum tobacco and roll my own cigarettes. The taste of Old Drum tobacco is close to the taste of vanilla cookies. I miss it. Then I switched to Carrolls, and then to the Blue Pall Malls. Probably because I grew up with two parents who smoked; my dad smoked a pipe (so cliche for an college professor) and my mom smoked cigarettes. But I quit because I didn't want to get lung cancer, and was tired of always having an upper respiratory illness. I won't smoke again.

• Like 1
  • Author
Wow that is expensive per pack. I don't know how much cigarettes cost now. I do know that a well known store here is going to stop selling tobacco to the public very soon.

Thanks for the link...interesting article, says they're making changes to reflect their "broader commitment to health care."

Makes sense.

• Like 1

I wonder how many other convenient stores will follow suit. Gas stations will always sell cigarettes though.

I think it's great that you quit smoking, OP. Stick with it. You'll feel so much better once you get past the cravings phase of quitting smoking.

• Like 1

A very good friend whom I lost to the dreaded weed told me that you only fail when you give up trying.

This is my first day of so called going with out and I still smoked that first one this morning.

I threw the pack away and am refusing to buy any more...

Been desperate to quit for years now. I am on Champix which has helped in the past... Until after a prolonged period of not smoking I started again Doh!

Good luck. Keep going. Every day is a fresh start so forget about what you couldn't do yesterday and give it a go today.

• Like 1

it is definitely not the easiest things to get rid of an addiction. In your case you can try electronic cigarettes for few weeks which will help you quit smoking with less difficulty. I have couple of friends who have done the same thing and now they are not using even electronic cigarettes.

• Like 1

I've never been a committed smoker but I do come and go. However, the last time I bought pack, I felt like every cig made me sick, I mean it was disgusting, no "joy" from it, so I think I'm ready to put it down, at least for a very long time now.

• Like 1

I smoked a lot years back, and what helped me quit was that book by Allan Carr. It dissolves all the psychological deceits of smoking, and at the end of that, you're not really left with anything. Give it a try if you need tools to help you quit.

I can relate. I quit smoking cigarettes cold-turkey (no patch, no nicotine gum) about 13 years ago. I used to buy Old Drum tobacco and roll my own cigarettes. The taste of Old Drum tobacco is close to the taste of vanilla cookies. I miss it. Then I switched to Carrolls, and then to the Blue Pall Malls. Probably because I grew up with two parents who smoked; my dad smoked a pipe (so cliche for an college professor) and my mom smoked cigarettes. But I quit because I didn't want to get lung cancer, and was tired of always having an upper respiratory illness. I won't smoke again.

Since you quit, have you had issues with any respiratory illnesses? Coughs that last longer than they should?

This winter I plan on cutting down even more and quitting. It's apparently going to be another shi.tty cold and snowy winter here where I am so I'll take that as a good thing for me not to bundle up and go smoke outside.

Got the guide to quitting smoking book ready too!

Allen Carr's "The Easyway to Stop Smoking" works. Myself and my 2 closest friends stopped smoking by reading this book. He takes away all the brainwashing that comes with smoking and makes you see that you have never enjoyed smoking in the first place! Seriously, it works. I would recommend it to anyone. Changed my life :)

• Like 1
Since you quit, have you had issues with any respiratory illnesses? Coughs that last longer than they should?

I stopped about a week ago. This weekend I went on one of my long walks and it took half an hour less than normal...

I have coughed up some gunge but not too much. I think after your lungs clear themselves it gets better...

Good luck!

I hope everyone trying to quit succeeds.

I really do.

Here's what worked for my SO after 20 years of smoking:

--Champix. It helped enormously with the cravings. Irreplacable.

--E-cigarettes occasionally, but only for about two weeks. He said using them longer actually kept the muscle memory alive and the motion of smoking. It kept the habit fresh. Made it hard to move beyond a certain point.

--Replacing the habit with activity. Often times he'd smoke when bored. Or, there was just a free moment. Instead of a cigarette, he'd do a short activity like rinse the dishes; clear books off his shelf ; return a phone call. Activity in place of smoking broke up the habitual pattern.

And finally, losing his dad to cancer last year.

He died at 58, frightened, regretful, sad he couldn't live more life.

It was heartbreaking and an intense motivator to choose health.

After years and years of trying, my SO did it and others can too.

Wishing you lots of luck!

Edited by cerridwen
  • Like 1

Hello, my name is ______ and I'm addicted to alcohol and cigarettes.

I put down my marlboro lights more than a month ago and started using my electronic cigarette again but I went out Sunday night and had too much fun and ended up buying a pack of Marlboros and smoked 3 cigs! /=

I should've tossed the pack when I got home but I didn't and sure enough I slipped up again the other night and smoked all but 2 cigs remaining in that pack. I was drunk, of course.

It's extremely hard to quit especially if it's been a lifelong thing for you. And in my case, it has. I started smoking and drinking regularly when I was 14. I'm 29.

Hi Me85

Glad you have joined our group...

I too slipped and got a pack of 10... I have been lighting them taking a puff and putting them out... Doh why bother eh!

Just looked out of the window and a lass visiting another company is smoking... it looks hideous and I can't help but think to meself... That was me... That could be me... Oh please don't let that be me...

Ashamed.

Oh God and the smell is wafting in - its grimmer than anything.

Hi WWIU!

Unfortunately, yes as a former smoker I'm prone to catch a respiratory illness now every year, usually in the winter/spring season when the flu and bronchitis go around.

The first few week to months after I quit smoking cigarettes, I coughed up phlegm nonstop - which my dr. told me was due to all the congestion caused by the overproduction of mucus, the chemical buildup from cigarette filters that gets stored in the lungs (it ain't pretty folks), and the poor overworked and irritated cilia that are the lungs filtration system, which get paralyzed by the smoke and all that from cigarettes which is what produces the common smokers cough.

The smokers cough will disappear once your lungs have self-cleaned out all the excess mucus, dirt, chemicals and smoke from your lungs. You'd be amazed to learn that a smokers' lungs can regenerate back to normal, once the smoker quits for good.

I will not smoke cigarettes ever again and I can't stand to be around second hand smoke. I feel lucky that I haven't developed lung cancer or COPD as a result of years of smoking. Just the annual upper respiratory infection - that's as bad as it gets for me.

I quit cold turkey and am glad I did it my way (props to Frank Sinatra). I didn't need the crutch of an e-cig, patch, nicotine gum, or drug. I think if you are ready to quit smoking, you can do it using sheer willpower.

Mind over nicotine addiction. You can do it. I did!

This winter I plan on cutting down even more and quitting. It's apparently going to be another shi.tty cold and snowy winter here where I am so I'll take that as a good thing for me not to bundle up and go smoke outside.

• Like 1
Thank you for this thread. The more that post about their experiences, good and bad is so helpful!

You can do it, Whichway!

I believe in you.

Trust me; my SO tried quitting more times than he's seen breakfast, and he's finally done it.

There's no shame in using whichever aids work; just keep trying. :)