"Married at First Sight" TV show

I can't wait to hear about the 1st breech of contract suit by the network when someone wakes up & refuses to go through with it.

Targetlock

bonkers! i wonder how long those marriages will last, minutes? hours? days?

I happened to catch this show last night. The first 2 episodes.

It was not a show about "seeing someone hot, then marrying them"

It is a show built around a social experiment. They have experts in fields such as sociology, psychology, sexology and they paired up 3 couples...based on data they gathered from each individual. They had them fill out a massive amount of forms ( one person said it took them 6 hours to complete it) the FBI/CIA use, went to their homes and looked through their living environments, interviews and other various information gathering about them and what they need/want/dislike in a relationship/partner, their past relationships and family.

They began with hundreds of people, but didn't tell them they were matching them for a blind marriage, as to not throw off the results ( have people not apply). After they reduced the numbers of candidates, they revealed that they will be matched up by the experts and then they will be married, however they will not be permitted to meet the person beforehand. So, the first time they meet is at the alter. They do not see a photo or speak to the person in any way. Many applicants walked out. It was down to 50 people and out of those 50, the experts matched 3 couples that they thought would be great matches.

The docu-series is supposed to follow these people before and during the first month. At the end of 4 weeks they will ask if they want to stay together, basically seeing how well they did in matching these people up based solely on gathered information only. The premise being...are "scientifically" arranged marriages better than how we currently go about dating into marriage.

• Like 1
Targetlock
I happened to catch this show last night. The first 2 episodes.

It was not a show about "seeing someone hot, then marrying them"

It is a show built around a social experiment. They have experts in fields such as sociology, psychology, sexology and they paired up 3 couples...based on data they gathered from each individual. They had them fill out a massive amount of forms ( one person said it took them 6 hours to complete it) the FBI/CIA use, went to their homes and looked through their living environments, interviews and other various information gathering about them and what they need/want/dislike in a relationship/partner, their past relationships and family.

They began with hundreds of people, but didn't tell them they were matching them for a blind marriage, as to not throw off the results ( have people not apply). After they reduced the numbers of candidates, they revealed that they will be matched up by the experts and then they will be married, however they will not be permitted to meet the person beforehand. So, the first time they meet is at the alter. They do not see a photo or speak to the person in any way. Many applicants walked out. It was down to 50 people and out of those 50, the experts matched 3 couples that they thought would be great matches.

The docu-series is supposed to follow these people before and during the first month. At the end of 4 weeks they will ask if they want to stay together, basically seeing how well they did in matching these people up based solely on gathered information only. The premise being...are "scientifically" arranged marriages better than how we currently go about dating into marriage.

aah much more interesting then, more of an actual proper show rather than just a gimmicky game show.

So this is eharmony meets arranged marriage? Weird. I'd be more interested in seeing how these couples are doing after a year, 2 years, 5 years etc should any of them last that long.

• Like 1

At first I say NO NO NO. But...if the forms/info. were super detailed as to what physical characteristics the entrants were looking for & the experts took the time to match them exactly, then I guess there shouldn't be that much surprise when they see each other. The real issue will be if the "personality characteristics" matching holds up. Not to mention the sexual chemistry which is linked to how much they find each other physically attractive to start with.

I'm thinking the men & women who went through w/it at the end are very...cheap? Way to avoid all the financial costs of dating!:laugh:

• Author
At first I say NO NO NO. But...if the forms/info. were super detailed as to what physical characteristics the entrants were looking for & the experts took the time to match them exactly, then I guess there shouldn't be that much surprise when they see each other. The real issue will be if the "personality characteristics" matching holds up. Not to mention the sexual chemistry which is linked to how much they find each other physically attractive to start with.

I'm thinking the men & women who went through w/it at the end are very...cheap? Way to avoid all the financial costs of dating!:laugh:

I bet the guy would at least expect sex on their honeymoon night, yes? :laugh:

On it one of the women walked through the doors of the chapel & started looking uncomfortable, fidgety & was not making too much eye contact (at least what was filmed) with the guy. Now, he seemed thrilled when he saw her. I'm thinking it was just like what this forum talks about in terms of how men always go for the most attractive women no matter their own looks. It was almost comical since her bridesmaids were 2 "heavy" girls who were her sisters. Since he was seeing them for the 1st time as well he might have been fearing she would look like them body-wise, but she turned out to be slim.

The episode ended w/her pausing dramatically at the waited response to her saying "yes" or "no" to the wedding vow. She clearly found him unattractive & the "voice over" had her saying it. Future episode trailers show her saying she feels like the experts "let her down". I hate to agree w/what some have always said on this forum, but it appears looks matter very much. He seemed like a 7 & she seemed like a 9. How embarrassing for him & on national TV too.

• Author

Kind of funny you mentioned that. There was a time in the 90s or early 2000's where there were "Matchmaking" brick and mortar stores where people paid good money to get "matched up" with someone.

Now, this was a hard business for those in the business, esp. with the superficial women. I heard of one matchmaker who had an issue dealing with a woman with shallow standards. She would NEVER Consider a man shorter than 6 feet, but...the matchmaker DID find a guy that was a good match for her...MINUS the strict height requirement (he was like 5'10" or 5'8").

When they got together for a meeting, the matchmaker said, "I have someone that I think would be a good match for you, but he's only 5'8""

No can do! Unacceptable!

The matchmaker pretty much leveled with the client, saying, "Hey, listen, this is probably the best match you'll ever find, so you might as well give it a try? Meet him for drinks or something, okay?"

The client walked out.

On it one of the women walked through the doors of the chapel & started looking uncomfortable, fidgety & was not making too much eye contact (at least what was filmed) with the guy. Now, he seemed thrilled when he saw her. I'm thinking it was just like what this forum talks about in terms of how men always go for the most attractive women no matter their own looks. It was almost comical since her bridesmaids were 2 "heavy" girls who were her sisters. Since he was seeing them for the 1st time as well he might have been fearing she would look like them body-wise, but she turned out to be slim.

The episode ended w/her pausing dramatically at the waited response to her saying "yes" or "no" to the wedding vow. She clearly found him unattractive & the "voice over" had her saying it. Future episode trailers show her saying she feels like the experts "let her down". I hate to agree w/what some have always said on this forum, but it appears looks matter very much. He seemed like a 7 & she seemed like a 9. How embarrassing for him & on national TV too.

Rofl, I read about it, but haven't watched it.

It's reality TV. They're looking for something that will make headlines to bring in $$$. They found it. And the people in it are most likely in it for fame and the $$ that comes with fame, too.

It would still be fun to watch though. :p

Yes watching Doug and Jamie was painful. Even he knew she wasn't attracted to him and what guy wants that? Did you hear his friends saying how she's way hotter than him after they walked out of the chapel? LOL!

I think Cortney and Jason have the best instant chemistry. Of course that doesn't mean there won't be hiccups, but they seemed very comfortable right away.

Monet and Vaughn, I'm not sure. I didn't think she was going to go through with it given her freak out. During the background interviewing he seemed really uptight and prefers things a certain way, which stands out to me as a clear personality difference for them.