Is this so bad?!

So it's been a while since i posted something here. I'm sure most of the people who were on here back when I did have had the strength to move on from their painful relationships. I still can't seem to do that.

I'll try and keep this short. I've known this girl for 4 years now and we've been on and off for about the last two. It's fair to say that we've had our fair share of issues, but recently things have been going much better.

However, that was up till about 2 weeks ago. I began noticing that she was often 'forgetting' to reply to messages and just generally not being as talkative, so i called her up on it in a jokey way..she just apologised, said she'd been busy. We then spent an awesome weekend together, and I figured things were fine.

Then the next week, the same pattern starts. So again I ask her whats up? Again said she's having a hectic week as it's the last one before half term(she's a teacher). On the Friday, i'm thinking she'll probably get in contact, school will be finished etc. I hear nothing, so send her text telling her that we're supposed to be together..don't you think that means we should talk more?

Basically, since then she's been so angry with me. Saying she's fed up with receiving these ridiculous texts, why don't you grow up and call instead, which i've tried! So now she's saying she wants space. Won't tell me why.

I don't know if i'm in the wrong here?! My theory is that if you're together and you have an argument, do you not work it out together? I don't see how space is right? Particularly as we've hardly spoken anyway! Which leads me to think that this is a bigger thing than her just being annoyed, but rather she's, again, debating whether she wants to be with me. I'm just so frustrated, she's so stubborn, she refused to talk about why I sent that message, claiming that 'she doesn't agree with me and never will'...the stupid thing is the whole reason why I sent it was because I wanted to speak to her more! Is that such a bad thing?!

I'm so upset now that she wants space, she hasn't even told me why. Am I really being an idiot here?!

mtnbiker3000

You're not wrong!! She's a coward and wants to end the RS but can't just say it to your face... She's trying to turn it around on you. Immature and weak!!!

• Like 4
  • Author

So what do i do? Just take this as the end and ignore her when she eventually gets back in touch, whenever that may be?!

Our last conversation after me asking for her to say something:

Her: Is this supposed to be giving me space?

Me: Why can't we work this out together though?

Her: Why can't you just give me space?

Me: Because I need to know why you want it? If it's because this has got you thinking you don't want to be with me then i need to know? I just feel when you're with someone you work arguments out together. But if this is more than that, then I need to know.

Didn't get a response to that. I can't stop f**king crying. She's posting so much stuff on Facebook right now, clearly fine about the whole thing. It just hurts like hell that she knows how much this will be bothering me..and yet doesn't care at all.

• Author

I don't want to keep posting, but i'm a mess! I don't know whether I should send a message saying something like 'if you need space again...then i can't do this anymore' and just end it here? It just feels like its delaying the inevitable.

I hate this so much. I think she knows just how much I love her and takes full advantage of it. Seeing all her sh*t popping up on FB/instagram just shows how differently we feel about the relationship. I just want to tell her all this.

Is that the wrong move here?!!

So what do i do? Just take this as the end and ignore her when she eventually gets back in touch, whenever that may be?!

Our last conversation after me asking for her to say something:

Her: Is this supposed to be giving me space?

Me: Why can't we work this out together though?

Her: Why can't you just give me space?

Me: Because I need to know why you want it? If it's because this has got you thinking you don't want to be with me then i need to know? I just feel when you're with someone you work arguments out together. But if this is more than that, then I need to know.

Didn't get a response to that. I can't stop f**king crying. She's posting so much stuff on Facebook right now, clearly fine about the whole thing. It just hurts like hell that she knows how much this will be bothering me..and yet doesn't care at all.

She is playing a game. She knows she can have you, thats why youre not interesting to her. But you have established an emotional connection with her. So if she wants space, give he space and dont call her. Make her call you. The ball is in hers court now.

If by any chance she doesnt call you than you will know she doesnt want to be with you. If she starts contacting you dont answer right away and dont start charging towards her because its gonna make he want ,,space'' again. You have to make it so she cries about you and craves you not the other way around.

And for the end, women tend to do this a lot nowadays but thats a different story for some other forum thats dealing with psychology and biology.

I hope this little advice helps.

• Like 1

I can relate to you with what you are going through. My GF broke up with me 2 weeks ago when I called her to express my concerns about her always being tired with work and not really being "there" when we would get together. Needless to say, she got fed up and broke up with me. I begged and pleaded to work things out, but she was "done with us" as she stated. This is also a relationship where we were on and off 4 times over the course of a year.

My ex is also doing the same thing you current GF is doing, posting on FB like everything is right as rain. Hurts like hell and all I wanna do is curl up in a ball and cry.

I don't know what would be the best move for you in your position since my own judgment is cloudy, but know you have someone that can relate to your pain and concerns. I hope things work out for you.

~H

She is playing a game. She knows she can have you, thats why youre not interesting to her. But you have established an emotional connection with her. So if she wants space, give he space and dont call her. Make her call you. The ball is in hers court now.

If by any chance she doesnt call you than you will know she doesnt want to be with you. If she starts contacting you dont answer right away and dont start charging towards her because its gonna make he want ,,space'' again. You have to make it so she cries about you and craves you not the other way around.

And for the end, women tend to do this a lot nowadays but thats a different story for some other forum thats dealing with psychology and biology.

I hope this little advice helps.

This probably explains my ex gf as well...

My theory is that if you're together and you have an argument, do you not work it out together? I don't see how space is right? Particularly as we've hardly spoken anyway! Which leads me to think that this is a bigger thing than her just being annoyed, but rather she's, again, debating whether she wants to be with me.

I'm so upset now that she wants space, she hasn't even told me why. Am I really being an idiot here?!

You answered your own question. I'll be upfront with you. When someone is annoyed by your emotional demands, especially something as simple as communication, it's a sign that they're detached.

Switch positions. If you weren't into someone, emotionally distant, and she kept bothering you about how you need to be more communicative because you're together with her, and getting emotional about it, how would you feel? You'd feel annoyed and put upon. You would rather space than get closer.

It's really very simple. On and off for the past two years? There's your sign.

The thing is with women like her, the more you grovel, the more unattractive you become. The only reason she treats you this way is because you're too available and you are too dependent on her. It's not appealing.

• Like 3
  • Author

Thanks for your replies guys.

Zahara, what you said really hits home hard and that's certainly something i've thought, if not almost definitely said to her at one point or another in the past. I know we've had a rocky past and if she's had enough then why can't she just tell me instead of doing this whole thing again to me?!

I know i've have a tendency to perhaps be clingy at times, but really all I want is some balance, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to speak to someone everyday if you're with them? She certainly didn't seem to think it was clingy when I was giving her engraved bracelets, flowers etc!!

Ah i've just seen her post this on her instagram. "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". :'(

I can't believe it's over.

I know we've had a rocky past and if she's had enough then why can't she just tell me instead of doing this whole thing again to me?!

I know i've have a tendency to perhaps be clingy at times, but really all I want is some balance, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to speak to someone everyday if you're with them? She certainly didn't seem to think it was clingy when I was giving her engraved bracelets, flowers etc!!

Ah i've just seen her post this on her instagram. "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". :'(

I can't believe it's over.

She probably can't let go because you do provide some level of comfort attention for her. It doesn't mean that she wants a relationship, it just means that she wants you on certain terms. When you get too close, it disrupts her terms and therefore, it becomes annoying.

Engraved bracelets and flowers -- of course that isn't clingy because she's being lavished with material things -- just don't get too close or emotional is what she wants.

I'm not sure if that post on Instagram is related to you so don't get worked up about it.

mtnbiker3000

Preemptive strike. Obviously she is not too concerned about you at this point. Time to not be concerned about her... Break it off yourself!!! Tell her she can have all the space in the world, then go NC!!

• Like 3

I feel for you,my friend. Sounds really hard. One thing I've learned during all the relationships I've messed up is that the only thing you can control is your own emotions (though hard), words, reaction, etc. Sure, you can ask for a response, a conversation, but if she can't or won't, the only thing you can control is how you react to that. And, in this case, it's to not contact her anymore. She knows what you want. So, now you have to take time to think about what you want based on what she is doing/not doing. She won't discuss it, at least for now. More pushing only makes things worse. Believe me, I know. So, do you want to continue to be with her? Is this relationship right for you based on who she is/how she reacts, etc. Only you can answer that. I know this is all easier said than done, as our emotions cloud good judgement, but that's my advice. Take a deep breath and think about things a bit. Good luck!

• Author

Yeah a preemptive strike was what I was thinking, because obviously that's the way its heading. I know I shouldn't, but there's always this part of me that hopes it'll be different. Maybe she comes back after her 'space' and somethings changed for the better. For that reason I'm reluctant to just send a message saying have all the space you want..f*ck you" and i know i should!!

The thing that i really struggle with, and perhaps this is because its the way its happened in the past, but i keep thinking that she's probably finding this really hard and is upset too. The reality is, from the Facebook sh*t she's put up, that couldn't be further from the truth, yet i still think it. Is that not a sign of madness?!!

This whole thing has just left me so ****ed up. I have other things in my life that have knocked my esteem to the ground and now i just don't really see the value in myself. I must hate myself so much to think i deserve to be treated this way and whats more, actively seek it out and let it happen.

I keep trying to remind myself that she isn't the same person i met all those years ago. But i can't stamp out the glimpses i get of that person. Its heartbreaking to see how our something that started off so amazing, the friendship etc has been worn away in to a dynamic where one of us resents the other for being in love with them. I never thought that would happen with us. I feel like i've destroyed it by wanting too much and now have to somehow accept she won't be a part of my life.

I just hard to understand out of all the things we've been through, she chooses this argument, me wanting to communicate more, to call it quits and walk away.

• Author

Ah **** I really want to send a message and just end it. She's posting more stuff on FB. I know I should delete it, but i've done that before and I don't want to seem that pathetic that it bothers me. But it does so much.

How can she not see how unfair she's being?! She must really not care at all.

Is she making you happy currently???? Seems she has not been for some time reading your posts, why stay around?

I did exactly what you are doing and believe you me, it never works, you have given all control to her, you're probably a mess, not eating, not sleeping and thinking about her every waking hour. This is NOT healthy for you.

My advice would be to hold your head up high and walk, be decent, explain reasons etc, once and once only.

It'll be hard but she is currently taking advantage of you, I suspect waiting for her interest to be aroused in someone else.

I wish I had of taken my own advice, I didn't, but if I can help someone else not make the same mistake it'll be a bonus!!

Rigorous NC must follow.

mtnbiker3000

^^^ Yeah. Once you're at this stage, there's no coming back. This happened to me as well.

She's already gone, just hasn't left yet!!

• Like 1

Delete her.

1) It'll burn her so hard and she won't be able to use FB to make you jealous / get you to chase her

2) It'll protect yourself

3) It'll show her that you aren't okay with having games played with

Trust me, and everyone else on here, do it for yourself. She is a game player that doesn't deserve you chasing her - its time for her to show if she is even close to being serious of being with you.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I think i've tried to type out what i'm feeling on here about 10 times but to be honest i'm not even sure what I'm looking for.

As someone who's been around LS for some time and have received heaps of good advice, I feel somewhat ashamed to be back here again, like i've ignored all the help and just gone about doing things my way.

Suffice to say, i've paid the heavy price of not listening. I've recently just broken up with a girl who I am madly in love with. We've known each other for 4 years and at the start were just really good friends. That escalated to use trying to be more, which for many reasons never fully worked out. We've had periods over that time where we went NC, but she always came back, claiming she missed us, maybe she made a mistake ending things etc.

Up until a few weeks ago, things were going really well. Or so i thought. It really felt like we were moving in the right direction. However, she started showing signs that i recognised from before, becoming distant/cold. I don't want to bore you all with the details but it all came to a head last Friday.

She basically said that enough was enough, she's tried really hard to make things work but she just can't feel the way I do. Somethings missing. She said that she thinks she's a horrible person for putting me through all what she has over the 4 years, breaking up and coming back etc. That I deserve more.

I'm really worried I'm just not accepting it. I feel numb. I think because we've split up before, I keep thinking she may come back. But then, in the same breath, I know i'm never going to see her again. When I say that in my head, I can't describe that feeling in my stomach. I totally understand that you can't make people feel a certain way, but i guess I just always thought because of how great our friendship was, eventually we'd find a way to be together.

She's always said that she has a tendency to block things out, that she's got a heart of ice and that she's '****ed up', but i always think maybe thats just because i lack something she needs. If the right person came along she wouldn't be like that.

The last message I sent to her just said 'You're never coming back are you'..which I admit was stupid and went without reply. It's only been a few days nc and i don't know whether its because its the weekend but i just want to see her so much.

I just feel so ****ed up. I haven't had much relationship experience, but I just feel like she's taken everything I gave and left when things got a little hard. Like i've boosted her ego, made her special and now she's ready to go a meet someone else. I truly don't see my value anymore. I know there were a lot of red flags about her behaviour towards me and it makes me wonder how much I must loathe myself to have allowed it.

I'm a year out of university and really struggling to find work, which is another thing thats not helping. I've had countless interviews and even though its an entirely different environment the rejection just combines and makes me think the worst possible thoughts about myself.

I just want this all to end

Smarty Pants

Reading this, it brings me back to 5 months ago when I first came to this forum. I had just gotten out of an on and off 5 year relationship with a girl who sounds very much like yours. I found myself struggling with the same thoughts. Was it something I wasn't providing? Am I ever going to find work. How long until she comes back around again.

Losing a close friend is very hard. My ex was my best friend in the entire world. I truly thought I was going to spend a lifetime with her.

Looking back now, I see all the red flags I couldn't see when I was blinded by my love for her. What helped me to move on was how emotionally exhausting it was to be with someone like that. I'm assuming your ex is young, and you'll see how immature and fickle young girls can be.

My advice? Stop talking to this person for many months. At least 6. Find some hobbies and get out with friends. Makes all the difference in the world. After being away from my ex, I am so much happier. I realized all my anxiety and unhappiness was caused because I had no idea where I stood with her.

As for the job. Sending resumes out and going on random interviews can be difficult. I had a 3.5 GPA at a good university and couldn't land a job. Finally went to a recruiting agency and was hired by a great company in a few days.

I would always get annoyed when people would tell me to "focus on myself". I would think "what? Am I not good enough? What do I have to work on?" Then I realized I wasn't happy at all. So I did exactly what everyone told me to do, worked on myself.

I also went to see a counselor. Something I never thought I would do. It feels good to get everything out and hear advice from a professional.

Good luck with everything.

Smarty Pants

Ok just read some of your other threads. This girl had jerked you around for too long. You need to stop talking to her completely.

She walks away from you every time and you're devastated. You've deluded yourself into thinking that each time is different. It isn't and never will be.

This girl has walked all over you for 4 years. Time to say enough is enough. You've told her how you feel. You shouldn't settle for anything other than what you want. If she can't give you that, turn around and walk away and don't ever look back.

It sucks, but you need to forget about this girl. She's been a big part of your past, but realize that that doesn't mean ****. If she's going to continue like this, you don't want her in your future. Trust me.

• Author

Hi Smarty Pants,

Thanks for your reply. I know you're right it's just so hard to move on and accept that its actually over this time, because we've been on and off for so long.

She actually text me on Saturday night in response to my last message that I sent earlier in the week saying 'you're never coming back are you'. She just said 'I don't know (nickname) This is really hard'.

I tried really hard not to reply, as I thought it was just a drunk text. Like an idiot though I gave in to curiosity last night. Every time in the past she's always regretted giving up so I wondered whether this was the same thing. She replied that she shouldn't have text, it was selfish. That it won't happen again. I don't know why but I said I needed her to just tell me straight that she wanted to see other people. So every time I had the urge to text id see that and it'd stop me. She just said that 'she hadn't thought about that yet'. The feeling I get in my stomach when I think of her with someone else is excruciating. Of course I want her to be happy, it just hurts too much that it'll never be with me. I can't even begin to imagine seeing someone else. I know it will sound like I'm putting her on a pedestal, but even just on the most superficial level, when I first saw her there was something about her, the way her eyes lit up when she smiled, that as soon as i saw her something just clicked in me. And I know that sounds really cliche but its kills that i've found that and she's gone.

I know its my own fault, but last week I think it was always in the back of my mind that she would get in touch. However, now its happened and she said she regretted it..its just made it so clear that we're really done.

I'd just give anything for another chance. I know it sounds pathetic, but the realisation that i'm never going to be with her, see her again or speak to her is tearing me apart. I hate that i've poured everything in to this, and yet I have no idea how she really felt about me and never will.

There's just nothing I can which is so hard to accept. I really feel like i've hit rock bottom. The only way I can stop my mind thinking, can stop breaking down when I'm lying in bed is to think some of the worst thoughts. That hopefully I'll go to sleep and not wake up. Just anything to make this go away. I've been looking in to seeing a counsellor but I can't afford the fees. At least if I could find a job it might take my mind off it, instead I sit at home all day, just trying to find work, thinking about her.

I know I have to start putting my life back together, and that life doesn't and will never involve her. I just don't know how to go about doing that. The worst part is obviously she is the person I would go to when stuff was tough, except now she's the one person i can't talk to.

OK_computer
Hi Smarty Pants,

Thanks for your reply. I know you're right it's just so hard to move on and accept that its actually over this time, because we've been on and off for so long.

She actually text me on Saturday night in response to my last message that I sent earlier in the week saying 'you're never coming back are you'. She just said 'I don't know (nickname) This is really hard'.

I tried really hard not to reply, as I thought it was just a drunk text. Like an idiot though I gave in to curiosity last night. Every time in the past she's always regretted giving up so I wondered whether this was the same thing. She replied that she shouldn't have text, it was selfish. That it won't happen again. I don't know why but I said I needed her to just tell me straight that she wanted to see other people. So every time I had the urge to text id see that and it'd stop me. She just said that 'she hadn't thought about that yet'. The feeling I get in my stomach when I think of her with someone else is excruciating. Of course I want her to be happy, it just hurts too much that it'll never be with me. I can't even begin to imagine seeing someone else. I know it will sound like I'm putting her on a pedestal, but even just on the most superficial level, when I first saw her there was something about her, the way her eyes lit up when she smiled, that as soon as i saw her something just clicked in me. And I know that sounds really cliche but its kills that i've found that and she's gone.

I know its my own fault, but last week I think it was always in the back of my mind that she would get in touch. However, now its happened and she said she regretted it..its just made it so clear that we're really done.

I'd just give anything for another chance. I know it sounds pathetic, but the realisation that i'm never going to be with her, see her again or speak to her is tearing me apart. I hate that i've poured everything in to this, and yet I have no idea how she really felt about me and never will.

There's just nothing I can which is so hard to accept. I really feel like i've hit rock bottom. The only way I can stop my mind thinking, can stop breaking down when I'm lying in bed is to think some of the worst thoughts. That hopefully I'll go to sleep and not wake up. Just anything to make this go away. I've been looking in to seeing a counsellor but I can't afford the fees. At least if I could find a job it might take my mind off it, instead I sit at home all day, just trying to find work, thinking about her.

I know I have to start putting my life back together, and that life doesn't and will never involve her. I just don't know how to go about doing that. The worst part is obviously she is the person I would go to when stuff was tough, except now she's the one person i can't talk to.

Hi,

I hate to state the obvious but what you are suffering from is a broken heart. But i'm saying that because I want you know that that is ALL that this is, and treat it as only that. You can overcome this bump in the road and go on to live a successful and happy life, without this person. This is not conclusion, hell this world is not conclusion.

I'm going to share something with you that I have found the hard way, but now use it in any new relationship that I encounter:

NO ONE CAN GIVE DIRECTIONS OR ORDERS TO LOVE. impossible. It's as simple as that. You cannot make this person love you, love works in its own mysterious ways. If you follow this simple rule, it will save you a lot of heartache and suffering. You cannot make this person love you, and by you being so emotional and 'clingy' to her every move and choice, you are blowing her even further away.

So, what can you do to heal this broken heart of yours? Only time will heal a broken heart, but in the mean time you can stop picking at the scab and divert your mind to the follows RULES:

1. FOCUS ON YOUR GOALS- what do you want to do with you life? Jobs, careers, etc. and How do you get there?

2. JOIN A GYM/ EXERCISE - atleast an hour a day to get those endorphins going.

3. DONT THINK ABOUT HER. SHES GONE...GO FULL NO CONTACT ( NC)

SHES DEAD/SHE LEFT ON A SPACESHIP/SHE DIED IN SOME EARTHQUAKE, WHATEVER.

4.Over time you will heal and become, as someone said in one post somwhere on the site "benignly indifferet"

5. SHE DOESN'T EXIST. YOU'VE GOT A LIFE TO LIVE.

6. HOBBY. VOLUNTEER. CHURCH. GO OUT AND MEET OTHERS

Think about it man, we're in the world for such a short finite amount of time, do you want to spend it feeling like crap? I'm 6 months from becoming a medical doctor and I'll tell you, there are so many damn people out there just begging from more time to live, to see their kids grow up, own a house, or be with their children. I just saw a case of lung cancer where the guy was begging for 5 years to live, sadly he has 3 months on a good day.

You have to wake up. You have get past this and tuck this under your belt as a win. That girl? Shes nothing. 4 years? that's nothing. Nothing to cry over. No suprises.

True love waits? (in referecne to that radiohead song) not likely, especially if the other is looking to bounce.

I was in the the same boat as you, on and off for 3 1/2 years and its still sinking and in the crapper. I see her every damn day at school, she stared at me today. I feel horrible everyday, but I realize, this will pass. Hell I have to world to explore, people to meet, places to see, and ONE LIFE TO ****ING LIVE.

GO OUT THERE AND MAKE GREATNESS HAPPEN.

ALEX

• Author

Hi Alex,

I'm trying to do those things. I've been forcing myself to go gym, but after receiving that text message over the weekend I just woke up this morning in such a bad place.

I know in comparison to others my problems must seem really trivial. But this is one of the other things thats been getting to me for some time. I'm 25 and I have absolutely no idea about what I want to do with my life. Like I say I graduated last year and although I've had internships I still don't know what I want to do, and even more frustrating...no idea how to go about finding that out. All my friends have moved out and have great careers and I just feel like i've failed already. I've had lots of interviews but can't seem to secure the job, and after numerous times of this routine i can't help but doubt my self-worth. I have no idea where my value lies, what i'm good etc and then the fact that my ex clearly doesn't see that either just make me believe it even more.

I think these issues with the relationship have just drained all my drive, passion and motivation. I just feel numb to everything apart from that sense of loss.

Yesterday one of the last things she said to me after asking will i ever see her again. She said yes, of course. Which i know is either bull****, but if it isn't, that scares me to. If we were to bump in to each other several months down the line I couldn't bare to see how that connection has gone, and we've just become strangers. Whats worse is she lives really near a number of close friends so the its really likely that i'll bump in to her.

I just don't understand why she messaged me on Saturday. Why would you do that if you didn't still feel something, knowing what it would do.

OK_computer
Hi Alex,

I'm trying to do those things. I've been forcing myself to go gym, but after receiving that text message over the weekend I just woke up this morning in such a bad place.

I know in comparison to others my problems must seem really trivial. But this is one of the other things thats been getting to me for some time. I'm 25 and I have absolutely no idea about what I want to do with my life. Like I say I graduated last year and although I've had internships I still don't know what I want to do, and even more frustrating...no idea how to go about finding that out. All my friends have moved out and have great careers and I just feel like i've failed already. I've had lots of interviews but can't seem to secure the job, and after numerous times of this routine i can't help but doubt my self-worth. I have no idea where my value lies, what i'm good etc and then the fact that my ex clearly doesn't see that either just make me believe it even more.

I think these issues with the relationship have just drained all my drive, passion and motivation. I just feel numb to everything apart from that sense of loss.

Yesterday one of the last things she said to me after asking will i ever see her again. She said yes, of course. Which i know is either bull****, but if it isn't, that scares me to. If we were to bump in to each other several months down the line I couldn't bare to see how that connection has gone, and we've just become strangers. Whats worse is she lives really near a number of close friends so the its really likely that i'll bump in to her.

I just don't understand why she messaged me on Saturday. Why would you do that if you didn't still feel something, knowing what it would do.

Hey,

Please do not question you're self worth. From what I've read you seem like a very sincere and caring person whose in a bad spot in life. Just remember that the most important thing right now is for you to focus on healing your broken heart and figuring out what you want to pursue. I know it seems apocalyptic to do that right now but one day in the future you will see how small this really was. You're problems aren't trivial at all..I was just trying to give you perspective. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to.

Edited by OK_computer