Well, this is hard..

Economically speaking I'd say it isn't. Speaking from a "political science" point of view it theoretically is a third-world country (doesn't belong to NATO, first world, and also doesn't belong to communist bloc, second world).

But then, the term third-world is almost impossible to define. I tend to not use it at all because it suggests that Westerners are superior to other countries. Think it's old-fashioned. They refer to Mexico as a developing country now, however.

Something irrelevant,

People who think Mexico is a third world country.

How many of you have really been in Mexico?

I'm not from there but I've been there

Mexico is not a third world country.

You westerners just sound arrogant.

But that's alright 'cause we're used to that.

But yeah, sorry for not staying on topic. It doesn't look very good for the girl I'm sorry to say. I'm Spanish and even though that's in the EU, I get asked questions sometimes when I enter the UK. I also doubt they will let her board the airplane. I guess that's her loss if she thinks this is all a game.

• Like 2
Negative Nancy
No she didn't pay attention to her docuements, she was certain the visa expired on the 19th (she returns to UK on 17th), however it actually expired on the 10th.

That was dumb and her own fault.

And yes, they do check thoroughly, put the passport through a scanner and get all the information on expiration, compare your picture etc. That's standard treatment in Europe.

However, EU passport control isn't as bad as US control, with digital fingerprints, iris scan etc. As a single traveller and a woman, you're immediately suspicious to IOs of wanting to immigrate and stay :rolleyes: Yes, from a 1st world country to a country on the brink of being 2nd or 3rd world country, makes sense. :rolleyes: Whenever I have to travel to the US, I always make sure to leave from an airport with pre-clearance for those reasons. :D

Something irrelevant,

Yeah, that's why so many mexicans desperately want to leave that country :rolleyes:

Edited by Negative Nancy
  • Like 1
  • Author
TylerDurdenn

In two days I'll be able to tell you if our border control is any good.

:p

• Like 1

Something irrelevant,

How many of you have really been in Mexico?

I'm not from there but I've been there

I'm not a Westerner. Mexico is considered to be a developing country which equates it to the 3rd world. It's not economically developed like the US or Canada or western Europe or Australia. No arrogance about it, just facing the fact that if you hold a Mexican passport you likely need a visa pretty much anywhere.

• Like 1

Was to be expected with the posts I read from people who should know about these things. Will she be send back to the country she visited or straight back to Mexico? Do you know if she has enough resources to finance it all?

And as a caring boyfriend you should care what happens to her, even if it is a stupid thing to do.

As for the Westerners here (I'm a Westerner myself too), do consider yourself lucky that you were fortunate enough to be born in such a priviliged country. It is not an achievement in itself, you know, so no need to be condescending about it. It's a pity your girlfriend's parents did not point out to her how important it is to have the right papers in this day and age and so far from home.

• Like 2
  • Author
TylerDurdenn

As expected it's bad news.

She is being detained until Saturday, then she will fly back to where she came from, then somehow she will have to make her way back to Mexico.

Also her passport will be stamped and it will make it impossible for her to fly to England/USA for the next 10 years (could someone clarify this for me? Doesn't sound right).

I think she has finally realised the severity of it all :(

Sorry mate. But was bound to happen.

EU for you my son next time.

Its gets worse, looks like Liverpool are going to win the premiership.

As expected it's bad news.

She is being detained until Saturday, then she will fly back to where she came from, then somehow she will have to make her way back to Mexico.

Also her passport will be stamped and it will make it impossible for her to fly to England/USA for the next 10 years (could someone clarify this for me? Doesn't sound right).

I think she has finally realised the severity of it all :(

• Like 1
  • Author
TylerDurdenn
Sorry mate. But was bound to happen.

EU for you my son next time.

Its gets worse, looks like Liverpool are going to win the premiership.

I'm more worried about Arsenil winning their first trophy in 8 years, that will be a painful sight :(

It's horrible knowing I'll probably never see her again, there's no way I am going over to Mexico.

• Like 1

Also her passport will be stamped and it will make it impossible for her to fly to England/USA for the next 10 years (could someone clarify this for me? Doesn't sound right?

From my experience that "ten year restriction" is usually imposed upon someone who has a criminal record, regardless of how minor. The visa infraction is sometimes considered an additional infraction of something else that is minor and imposes the ten-year stipulation.

Doesn't sound very encouraging. Can I ask how well you know this girl?

• Author
TylerDurdenn
From my experience that "ten year restriction" is usually imposed upon someone who has a criminal record, regardless of how minor. The visa infraction is sometimes considered an additional infraction of something else that is minor and imposes the ten-year stipulation.

Doesn't sound very encouraging. Can I ask how well you know this girl?

She came across (with some exceptions of course!) as an intelligent girl who was studying medicine at a university in Mexico. She gave absolutely no indication of any issues with the authorities whilst I was with her, and before I met her in England she hardly ever went out partying or drinking, just stayed at home studying.

She did mention that there was a possibility that they would NOT stamp her passport? Anyone ever heard of this?

Just to clarify, her visa expired 1 week ago today.. (I'm not trying to justify the situation!!)

She did mention that there was a possibility that they would NOT stamp her passport? Anyone ever heard of this?

Sure - like I said, if there was even some minor legal infraction that she did not disclose to YOU, then she knew there was a possibility that her passport would not be approved.

Seems like there are things she hasn't told you. Could be lots or parking tickets. Could be that she has traveled before and had issues before with expiring visas. Could be anything that seems minor to us but is glaring when it comes to international travel.

• Author
TylerDurdenn

Ok she is allowed to fly directly back to Mexico from London on Saturday and they are taking her to a hotel tomorrow where I will be able to visit her.

She also said that if she goes to the Mexican embassy in Mexico they may be able to arrange for her to travel back to the UK.

:(

Sounds about right for someone who was deported for trying to enter illegally (though I don't know about the specifics of the 10 year rule).

I still don't understand what else you two expected would happen. Sorry, but I'm not terribly sympathetic given how avoidable all of this was.

• Like 3
LittleTiger

My guy is a New Zealander who doesn't need a visa to enter the UK for six months. He travels here a lot. Sometimes they just nod him through, other times they want to know how much money he has with him, where he'll be staying, his date of departure - everything!

Unless you are returning to your own country you should always have the necessary documentation. If you don't, the best you can hope for is deportation, the worst is jail!

• Like 1

Kind of good news geez.

Its good they never sent her to Paddington green!

And lets hope the gooners get derailed! Obviously my boys are concetrating on champions league, thanks to those pesky scousers.

Good luck with visit mate.

Ok she is allowed to fly directly back to Mexico from London on Saturday and they are taking her to a hotel tomorrow where I will be able to visit her.

She also said that if she goes to the Mexican embassy in Mexico they may be able to arrange for her to travel back to the UK.

:(

• Author
TylerDurdenn

So I've just spent the last 7 hours with her in a detention centre (NOT a hotel :laugh:), it was emotional and leaving her was extremely difficult.

I thank you all for your advice, I wish I posted this thread before she went on holiday.. Nothing I can do now though.

Sorry mate.

So I've just spent the last 7 hours with her in a detention centre (NOT a hotel :laugh:), it was emotional and leaving her was extremely difficult.

I thank you all for your advice, I wish I posted this thread before she went on holiday.. Nothing I can do now though.

You posted on time though to avoid deportation. She wanted to try entering your country anyway, despite any good judgement.

She has learned her lesson. I guess next time she should listen to you.

Anyway, I guess you shouldn't go to Mexico, as you don't know anything about this girl. While you were there as a visitor, you could have asked for details about her pending situation, to get the correct information and know if there was something she didn't tell you.

• Like 2
  • Author
TylerDurdenn

I've just had some fantastic news...

She is allowed to return to England at any time! :D:love:

Apparently this is because she was 'removed' not 'deported'..

• Like 1
SaltwaterHeart

Well don't let it happen again.

As someone who can't be with their love for valid reasons, the stupidity of this actually makes me angry.

Glad for you that she got away so lightly though.

• Like 4

So now she's changing the story from 10 years to 'she can come back'? :confused:

I'm slightly confused, but that's good I guess. I really hope you both learn something from this.

• Like 1
LittleTiger

In the UK, we have 'administrative removal' or 'deportation'. Most people use the words interchangeably.

Deportation usually means that someone has a criminal record or has done something illegal in the UK or elsewhere and results in not being allowed to apply for re-entry to the UK for 10 years.

Administrative removal occurs if you have no 'right to remain', or no longer have a 'right to remain' in the UK - either because you have no visa or because your visa has expired. In this case, you can apply to return whenever you like BUT there is no guarantee that your application will be approved.

OP, your girlfriend now has an adverse immigration history, which could make it more difficult for her to get a visa back to the UK, or anywhere in the EU.

If she had somehow 'slipped through' as you were both hoping, she would still have been removed, but she wouldn't have been allowed to reapply for at least twelve months or more, depending how long she had stayed in the country before being 'discovered' by the authorities - ie as soon as she applied for her visa.

You should both count yourselves very, very lucky that the outcome here was the best you could have hoped for. Now all you have to worry about is whether her next visa application is accepted - fingers crossed!!!

Edited by LittleTiger
  • Like 1