Notifying family/friends of private marriage ceremony

My fiance and I are expecting a baby in September. While I would love to do a small ceremony with friends and family, for many reasons, it doesn't seem feasible. We want to get married sooner rather than later, I have not been feeling great (nausea and headaches from pregnancy), and he has to work a lot of weekends. Further, I am moving into his house before my lease ends at the end of this month.

Several family and friends have mentioned invites to the wedding. What is an appropriate and respectful way of notifying our family and friends that we plan to just get married privately, within the next couple of weeks, at our local courthouse?

I thought of sending a cute email notification letting them know that while we would love them to be present, given current circumstances, we've decided a private ceremony is easiest and we hope they can celebrate with us at a later time.

Anyone else have input or ideas on a good way to approach this?

You say nothing. You go forward with your plan & get married in the small private ceremony including who you want there & excluding every one else. After you get married, you tell people you got married in an intimate family only ceremony due to the baby.

Telling them in advance that they didn't make the cut seems unusually mean.

• Like 4
  • Author

Well, we aren't planning to have ANYONE there, and some of the people who've asked are my aunt/grandma/cousin who I'm pretty close to. I guess we could just do it and notify them afterward, though.

Send marriage announcements...up to you as to before or after, might be best for you to do before. Can you pick a future date in which you'd like to celebrate with your family? Announce the marriage and a prospective date in which you'd like to have a celebration/reception.

• Like 2
Grumpybutfun

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your impending birth. I hope you and your soon to be husband will be very happy. My etiquette savvy wife says with a baby on the way, due to morning sickness and time constraints, it is proper to have a private ceremony and then send marriage announcements to those who are nearest and dearest to you. You really owe no one an explanation but if they ask you can tell them what you told us.

Best wishes,

Grumps

• Like 1
Well, we aren't planning to have ANYONE there, and some of the people who've asked are my aunt/grandma/cousin who I'm pretty close to. I guess we could just do it and notify them afterward, though.

That's how I got married...just me and the Mr.

We got married in Jamaica though, so that made it easy to say "this is what we're doing, we'll have a party when we get back to celebrate then". Only one person (FIL) had a problem with it, but he got over it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks everyone! I think we did decide to do marriage announcements following the private ceremony (just the two of us). I may send a text or email to the one person closest to me who'd particularly asked about a date. Otherwise, it seems more like we are "eloping" and can just notify everyone later on!

• Like 2