Any mathematicians out there? What are the odds of this...

Hornylildevil

Hornylildevil

I didn't know where else to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong place. This is a long story but I think I can make it brief. My ex-wife killed herself and our son killed himself a year and a month later. THEN, my best friend in the USMC called ten days after I told him about my son, only to tell me that his son had killed his mother-in-law and step-son. Then a few days later my cat got hit by a car and needed his hind leg amputated! But never mind about the cat. What are the odds of me and someone I had known at that point for 25 years, of our son's throwing their lives away ten days apart? This happened almost 4 years ago, btw. Thanks!

Is suicide still in the top ten of causes of death?

Anyway it's up there, and it's more prevalent in males.

But you're comparing suicide and homicide.

This happened once in 29 years?

You don't say where you live - if it's Camden (right down the street from me) then I'd say that this only happening once in 29 years was a miracle, if I believed in that sort of thing.

Death in the young is a tragedy no matter when or how it occurs - no parent should have to bury their child.

How's the cat doing?

• Like 1
  • Author
Hornylildevil

My bro and I met when we were 19, in early 1986. My son took his life in 2010. So 24 years later. And the cat is doing great, thanks! He's a Seal Point Siamese and my ex-GF was pretty funny, she said if he was a boy cat, we could change his name to Eileen and he was Siamese (she didn't know at the time he was) we could change his name to Irene! I know, bad jokes, but at the time I thought they were cute. We were in a LDR and she came to visit me for Christmas. I didn't know Siamese were prone to jealousy and man! was he jealous of her sitting next to me! So I was at work and she had Bandit on her lap, petting him and bonding, when he up and bites her arm! He even tore at it like a gazelle on the plains of Africa, lol! GOOOOD Bandit!! :D Thanks for asking!

Oh, I had a three legged dog, and heard more tripod jokes than I care to remember!

Sorry to hear about all the tragedies in your life. It certainly seems like some are dealt more than others. For example, I'm 52, and have gone thru none. Parents are 90 and 86 and hanging in there. Can't explain it, luck?

• Author
Hornylildevil
Oh, I had a three legged dog, and heard more tripod jokes than I care to remember!

Sorry to hear about all the tragedies in your life. It certainly seems like some are dealt more than others. For example, I'm 52, and have gone thru none. Parents are 90 and 86 and hanging in there. Can't explain it, luck?

Thank you but I really wasn't looking for pity. I don't mean that in a ****ty way, it's just that after this much time I've come to terms with it. Did your dog do what my cat does, when he thought no one was looking, he hops along OK but as soon as he notices someone looking at him, he milks it for all it's worth!

The way I came to terms with it is, it happens every day to someone somewhere in the world, this time it just happened to me.

Thank you but I really wasn't looking for pity. I don't mean that in a ****ty way, it's just that after this much time I've come to terms with it. Did your dog do what my cat does, when he thought no one was looking, he hops along OK but as soon as he notices someone looking at him, he milks it for all it's worth!

The way I came to terms with it is, it happens every day to someone somewhere in the world, this time it just happened to me.

No, actually he was a nut. The people at the shelter had nicknamed him 'nut bucket'. He never looked for sympathy or used his disability to his advantage. OTOH, he did a lot of stuff I didn't think he could, excavating the yard going after moles and such. He was quite proud of himself. Crazy energy typical of the breed, I guess.

• Author
Hornylildevil

Bandit was my favorite cat ever. BTW, he's not really MY cat, he was my roomies cat but he took to me so our joke was that he was my cat. Smokey was his cat. Bandit was cool because when I was in the kitchen, he'd come up, say good morning and post-up behind me, like he had my back. I like that in anybody! And even with three legs he could haul ass after another cat. Damn, I miss having cats!:(