What do I do now?

I have had the same job for 14 years. Last year or so, the Secretary I worked with retired and another one was hired. We have the same job in the front of an office. We work where there are a lot of men. Since she started she has dressed in short skirts, boots and other sexy attire....she is very ambitious and we nearly fight over work. It is also very important to her that everyone likes her, and acts weird when anyone talks to me...

She took a pay cut to come to our division...because she had issues with her supervisor and her co workers. I learned where she was before then, the same thing. So, in the past few months or more, she has gotten very chummy with our supervisor (who is a woman) and barely says hello to me in the morning. Every chance she gets, she is in her office chatting. I noticed that my supervisor hasn't talked to me in a few days...I asked her if there was a problem....her eyes glazed over and she told me that she would like HER boss to be in the room if we talked.(meaning, she wasn't going to tell me what the issue is, until the director is sitting in....) I have NEVER been written up, reprimanded, nor have I ever had an issue before at work in the entire 14 years I have been there. Should I ask a rep from HR to be there ? I feel ganged up on, talked about...bullied...and I know she has been planting negative seeds to win the favor of the higher ups. What do I say? How do I handle this? I just want to cry....

UpwardForward
I have had the same job for 14 years. Last year or so, the Secretary I worked with retired and another one was hired. We have the same job in the front of an office. We work where there are a lot of men. Since she started she has dressed in short skirts, boots and other sexy attire....she is very ambitious and we nearly fight over work. It is also very important to her that everyone likes her, and acts weird when anyone talks to me...

She took a pay cut to come to our division...because she had issues with her supervisor and her co workers. I learned where she was before then, the same thing. So, in the past few months or more, she has gotten very chummy with our supervisor (who is a woman) and barely says hello to me in the morning. Every chance she gets, she is in her office chatting. I noticed that my supervisor hasn't talked to me in a few days...I asked her if there was a problem....her eyes glazed over and she told me that she would like HER boss to be in the room if we talked.(meaning, she wasn't going to tell me what the issue is, until the director is sitting in....) I have NEVER been written up, reprimanded, nor have I ever had an issue before at work in the entire 14 years I have been there. Should I ask a rep from HR to be there ? I feel ganged up on, talked about...bullied...and I know she has been planting negative seeds to win the favor of the higher ups. What do I say? How do I handle this? I just want to cry....

Yes I would insist on the 'meeting' for better or for worse.

Seems to me in order for your supervisor to be acting in this manner, your co-worker is spreading untruths about you, or misquoting you.

Also, upon your supervisor scheduling the meeting, you could ask her if she feels you should have an HR rep be present. Thus getting a 'feel' of the importance of the meeting and letting her think she is a part of the decision for your rep.

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Author

The supervisor is the one that has some sort of issue with me. I think I will attend the meeting alone, and if I feel it is turning into a bullying situation, I will ask that the meeting be postponed until a third, uninvolved party from HR can attend.

• Like 1

Yuck, I have had these kiss ass experiences with coworkers getting chummy to the boss and talking crap about me behind my back. I would definitely bring it to the attention of HR, especially if there is favoritism going on in the workplace.

Get your resume together sooner rather than later. Once an employee starts with these meetings & dragging HR into it, the situation will never improve.

• Author

Really? I can't try to work this out ? Throw away 14 years and go back into the job market over this?

UpwardForward
Really? I can't try to work this out ? Throw away 14 years and go back into the job market over this?

Yes, Of course you can try to work it out, and fight it if necessary.

But you'll feel a lot better if you get your resume out. And not with all your eggs in one basket. We have no way of knowing the outcome of this.