My First Panic Attack (Heart Palpitations)

t all started a week ago. I was feeling weird. My heart started to flutter instead of its normal beating pattern. That day it had felt like my heart was working harder, but not faster. I had a lot of caffeine that night, tea, and I think that is what caused that couple of hours of flutters. It did go away. Over the next week I could feel my heart beat harder, not faster, but harder and in normal rhythm. I noticed that caffeine did seem to have an affect on how I was feeling.

The heart beat feeling has been weird. It wasn’t beating faster, but I could just feel it all through my body when my mind wasn’t occupied. My heart felt like a sore muscle and my two left limbs felt a little tight. I didn’t have any other heart attack symptoms. My family doesn’t have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure and I eat healthy (watch sodium and fat levels) After a week of it off and on, I decided to go to the immediate care center to be looked at. The doctor looked at me, nothing seemed far out of the ordinary. My heartbeat is about 55, where 60-100 is normal. I run and go to the gym, so its not uncommon for people who work out to have a low heart rate. The doctor wants to set me up with a cardiologist because there is always a low possibility that a low heart rate can have other complications. The EKG showed nothing irregular, but that is only a small sample size. I am going to be set up with a monitor that will watch my heart rate for a day or two. The doctor told me to go the ER if I start feeling dizzy, short of breath, numb, etc.

At a friend’s house I start to feel nauseous, then short of breath, left limbs tightening up more so I’m starting to worry. I end up having a friend take me to the ER. I figure better safe than sorry, especially if this is heart related. While I’m waiting for the doctor for a bit I start to worry. I’m starting to think I’m going to die, but eventually that dies off as I lay there. My mom tells me that my dad’s side of the family has a history of panic attacks. Talking with the doctor, he agreed that it was most likely a panic attack.

Blood work looked good other than my liver levels were a tad higher. I did have two drinks earlier that night, so the doctor wasn’t sure if that would have thrown off. I had a lot of water, urinated a lot and the drinks were a few hours before the blood was taken. Symptoms of gallbladder issues include high liver levels and discomfort in the chest.

So I’m laying off caffeine, and I’ve felt better. Also laying off alcohol so a blood test can give us a better idea of what/if anything is going on. I’m also just resting and staying busy whether I’m reading, doing math problems or playing video games while watching netflix. I really wish I could go to the gym or do some yard work, but I’ve been advised to stay away from strenuous activity as well until I see the cardiologist to look into what might be causing my palpitations.

TLDR: I’ve been having heart palpitations, had a panic attack about it and am laying low and relaxing until I get to see the cardiologist. Could be heart issues or might also be gallbladder related. No drinking, no physical activity and trying to avoid unhealthy food.

Edited by Casablanca
  • Like 1

Hmmm...seems strange it would be a panic attack unless you had a specific precipitating event that was stressing you emotionally. Years ago I went to the ER with heart palpitations, and going completely off of caffeine seemed to take care of it. One thing OP when you see the cardiologist ask him about Atrial Fibrillation. Becoming more common these days. Although at your age, it would be rare.

• Author
Hmmm...seems strange it would be a panic attack unless you had a specific precipitating event that was stressing you emotionally. Years ago I went to the ER with heart palpitations, and going completely off of caffeine seemed to take care of it. One thing OP when you see the cardiologist ask him about Atrial Fibrillation. Becoming more common these days. Although at your age, it would be rare.

I have been stressing about the palpitations and my heart, so that is what would have brought it on

Good on you for staying away from caffeine, although I'd suggest you do try to exercise a little, even if it's just a 30 minute walk. Nothing strenuous and walk at a leisurely pace but fresh air and light movement really tends to help. Anyway, netflix really saved me with this one, I just logged on and tuned out the world.

I have done a lot of netflix! I feel better today without the caffeine. My heart doesnt feel sore and I don't notice the heart beat. I do have some discomfort/soreness in my upper left abdomen. So hopefully a blood test on friday at the cardiologist can confirm or deny anything since my last blood test, the liver readings could have be skewed based on a couple drinks a few hours before. I would love a glass of wine, but doc said not to until I have the test.

I am going to walk today, my legs are feeling heavy from lack of use, like I've been driving all day

As someone who used to have REALLY bad panic attacks about three times per week on average, for years, the mere thought of having a panic attack often becomes the reason for having a panic attack. It's really irritating. Once I learned that they were one of the most horrible things ever, but that they WOULD pass (one lasted three and a half hours one time, and I couldn't really breathe well for any of that time, nor talk),and once I started learning to talk myself out of them, they ceased to happen.

I've even been in situations in the past year that normally would have caused a panic attack in the past, but I can generally get them to go away now.

The good thing about panic attacks is that the worst thing that could happen is you pass out and hit your head. Otherwise they're not dangerous.

t all started a week ago. I was feeling weird. My heart started to flutter instead of its normal beating pattern. That day it had felt like my heart was working harder, but not faster. I had a lot of caffeine that night, tea, and I think that is what caused that couple of hours of flutters. It did go away. Over the next week I could feel my heart beat harder, not faster, but harder and in normal rhythm. I noticed that caffeine did seem to have an affect on how I was feeling.

The heart beat feeling has been weird. It wasn’t beating faster, but I could just feel it all through my body when my mind wasn’t occupied. My heart felt like a sore muscle and my two left limbs felt a little tight. I didn’t have any other heart attack symptoms. My family doesn’t have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure and I eat healthy (watch sodium and fat levels) After a week of it off and on, I decided to go to the immediate care center to be looked at. The doctor looked at me, nothing seemed far out of the ordinary. My heartbeat is about 55, where 60-100 is normal. I run and go to the gym, so its not uncommon for people who work out to have a low heart rate. The doctor wants to set me up with a cardiologist because there is always a low possibility that a low heart rate can have other complications. The EKG showed nothing irregular, but that is only a small sample size. I am going to be set up with a monitor that will watch my heart rate for a day or two. The doctor told me to go the ER if I start feeling dizzy, short of breath, numb, etc.

At a friend’s house I start to feel nauseous, then short of breath, left limbs tightening up more so I’m starting to worry. I end up having a friend take me to the ER. I figure better safe than sorry, especially if this is heart related. While I’m waiting for the doctor for a bit I start to worry. I’m starting to think I’m going to die, but eventually that dies off as I lay there. My mom tells me that my dad’s side of the family has a history of panic attacks. Talking with the doctor, he agreed that it was most likely a panic attack.

Blood work looked good other than my liver levels were a tad higher. I did have two drinks earlier that night, so the doctor wasn’t sure if that would have thrown off. I had a lot of water, urinated a lot and the drinks were a few hours before the blood was taken. Symptoms of gallbladder issues include high liver levels and discomfort in the chest.

So I’m laying off caffeine, and I’ve felt better. Also laying off alcohol so a blood test can give us a better idea of what/if anything is going on. I’m also just resting and staying busy whether I’m reading, doing math problems or playing video games while watching netflix. I really wish I could go to the gym or do some yard work, but I’ve been advised to stay away from strenuous activity as well until I see the cardiologist to look into what might be causing my palpitations.

TLDR: I’ve been having heart palpitations, had a panic attack about it and am laying low and relaxing until I get to see the cardiologist. Could be heart issues or might also be gallbladder related. No drinking, no physical activity and trying to avoid unhealthy food.

You seem to be too health conscious. Mix it up a little. It's all about the balance of what you do.

• Author
You seem to be too health conscious. Mix it up a little. It's all about the balance of what you do.

How so? I do watch what I eat and try to exercise, but I'm far from a hypochondriac.

The heart was definitely acting different than it had in my previous 25 years of life

Have your thyroid hormone levels checked as too much or too little affect the heart. Are there thyroid problems in your family?

• Author
Have your thyroid hormone levels checked as too much or too little affect the heart. Are there thyroid problems in your family?

My thyroid is fine, and my palpitations have stopped since I laid off caffeine.

Possibly related my liver levels are a tad high, but that could have been because of a couple drinks 3-6 hours before blood was drawn, so the cardiologist will check my blood levels again with no alcohol in my system for almost a week.

My sister has thyroid issues, and just found out my grandmothers side of the family has heart issue history, but once they got older, no one dying at my age. My uncle does have a heart murmur.

whichwayisup

It's good you're going to go see your DR. Rule out stuff out.

When it comes to anxiety, it can mimick so many other illnesses so whatever you do, DO NOT GOOGLE your symptoms! That will just send you into panic mode when you see the results! (TRUST me on this!)

Cutting out caffeine is a great idea. Cut down on sugars and also increase your water intake. Eat well, stay away from unhealthy and fatty foods (pizza, fries etc) and eat whole grain, fruits and veggies.

Exercise is important. if you don't feel comfy running or jogging, do daily brisk walking and also do yoga. Rent or download a half an hour session. Do the deep breathing to help you calm down. Yoga helps with anxiety so much!

Journal! Write down everything you eat and drink. How many hours you sleep. Vent if need be, if stuff is bothering you, get it out and down on paper. Stress can cause anxiety as well.