Struggling with diet/exercise

Hi all, new here.. I've recently (past 4 months) have decided to really start to get into shape. I'm doing very well, I workout heavy for an hour every day and continuously move throughout the rest...

I'm female, pretty short and have a medium build. I've muscled up and lost a lot of fat. I'm pretty proud of the progress to date but really want to see more. I'm 4'11'' and around 95 lbs, I've dropped probably 5-10 lbs in fat and now am hoping to gain a few in muscle.

I've been pretty depressed the last few weeks and, though I've done the workouts regardless, feel like crap. I eat decently most of the time, but I must admit I'm an emotional eater. Crap hit the fan for me this past month and its been a constant battle not to stuff my face with evil (albeit delicious) treats. Today I inhaled half a pint of ice cream, did my exercise with very little enthusiasm and hit the couch.

I don't know how to keep up the motivation, also it's frustrating, the ice cream wasn't mine, I don't buy things I know I'll abuse. My friend buys this stuff, and never eats it, so it pretty much sits there until I have a bad day and hate binge, or eventually gets thrown out.

So frustrated, I almost gave up halfway through the workout today, and thought if I finish it, I'll feel great, but no, not really. My Ice cream binge has ruined it for me. One problem for me is that I figure, well to heck with it, I already ruined my "diet" today I may as well go all out.

Maybe this is just a rant... If you have tips to share, or advice, that'd be great. Thx

For motivation, do you have a photo of yourself at your best that you would like to be at? Looking at photos of myself when I was overweight and comparing them to when I was about 30lbs lighter really motivated me to get back into shape. I was only overweight for about a year or so and I know how I was gaining weight, so it wasn't too hard. I have learned that to never workout when you're hungry. Eat a high protein snack that will keep you full for another few hours. Something like apples and peanut butter. The protein in peanut butter will keep you feeling full longer. Exercise also usually helps curb appetite as long as you're not hungry or starving before the workout. It is okay to have a sweet treat now and then after a workout. Exercise is primarily to help tone. I used to think OMG, I just ruined my workout by eating the same amount of calories after. But really, diet is the biggest issue when losing weight. My motto is eat in moderation and exercise. Exercise to tone up, diet to help lose weight.

• 2 weeks later...
MercuryMorrison1

About the only tip I can give you is work on your willpower. I know that's not offering much, but its what I eventually had to do...Trust me, its not easy.

I started working out regularly about a year ago, and when I first started I was about 220 lbs, of course I'm 6,1 so it just made me look a little chubby, not really fat. I'm at about 195 lbs and a lot more lean muscle. At my absolute best physical shape I was right at about 180 lbs which is my goal now.

But let me tell you, I didn't really start dropping the fat until I cut out the binging on junk food. I had gotten into this habit of eating Double Quarter Pounders two, three sometimes four times a week, When I cut all that crap out and started eating healthy it was like the fat was literally just melting off my bones.

I know that women, generally have a tougher time losing weight than men, I am lucky to have a exceptionally high metabolism, but even so I still have to watch what I eat if I want to keep and improve my body. Fitness is a tough road to go down, even more so when you are just starting out...But its rewards are well worth the trouble.

Edited by MercuryMorrison1
theonlyjuan

Write down some goals ( Ideal weight or size waist etc ) Make it realistic. You can do weekly or monthly goals.

I used to buy really nice clothes I wanted in a size too small, it would motivate me to fit in it.

Give yourself a cheat deal where you can eat what you want. Just make sure your work hard for it during the week.

Once you get into it and you start to see results it gets addictive and easy. You actually begin to enjoy working out and eating well.

Everyone has days where they can't be arsed. I just remind myself why I am doing it and think of my goals.

Watch some motivational videos on youtube