My friends are toxic

Its day 4 out of my almost 4 year relationship with my ex, and i've been trying to distract myself anyway possible so i've been talking to what few friends i have left, which isn't many a couple of them have been supportive with me but the others make jokes that bring me down.. the other day i was skyping with a friend of mine and he decided itd be funny to say "hey bro i'm going to add your ex on facebook and maybe she'll get with me" i then hung up on him and he said he was joking.. and then today i talked to a different friend on the phone and he decided it'd be funny to message one of my ex's friends that had a love connection with her and she had a love connection back and ask him if he is still talking to my ex and trying to get with her. so he started laughing and sent the message to him..

I just fail to understand why my "friends" would make jokes like this and think it is anywhere near funny whatsoever it brought me down so much like how am are you going to do something like that to me when i sat there while you cried about your ex and i showed my support hes just going to put me under the bus like that. sad thing is i've been friends with both of these guys for 5+ years am i the only one who has experienced something like this? i was about to go to sleep too.. now i'm so angry i can only be so strong about this. I've lost majority of my friends and its hard to make new ones because of my Social Anxiety so i'm stuck with these crappy friends who make remarks like this.

Sorry this is more of a rant thread than anything needed to get it off my chest

and sorry if this is the wrong forum to put this but it seemed to fit.

Philosoraptor

Well talk to them and set boundaries. If they cross those boundaries you'll need to cut them off until you've made a full recovery.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
chocolatepudding

Hi. Break ups are horrible to deal with and I hope you're coping OK. You particularly could do with your friends being supportive, and you're feeling especially fragile and sensitive right now. I imagine your friends may not realise how much their jokes upset you. Chances are they mean well but just don't understand. Perhaps they haven't been in relationships so long term themselves?

You may need to just give them a heads up that you're feeling pretty down and not yourself and that some of their jokes are getting to you. Don't lay into them as that could just distance yourself from them even more. Also consider organizing to do some fun things you enjoy with your friends and family to cheer you up.

Keep talking to the ones who have been supportive. For the others, I would just fade them out. Stop calling, don't return their messages. Maybe they will smarten up later and apologize, maybe not. But the last thing you need is to deal with mean-spirited jokes. I find that it's better to be alone than to be around negative people.