Is it okay to ask for prayers?

What's your opinion. Is it okay to ask people -- even virtual strangers, but people you talk to, say, on a forum -- to pray for your son and other men and women in the military who are in Iraq?

Obviously, if you know a person is an athiest that would be a dumb idea...lol! But I mean, in general, are you put off by people saying that they are praying for the troops or asking you to pray for the troops, or even for their specific family member?

Does that fall into a totally different category than "supporting the troops"?

I agree - I usually ask people to 'think positive thoughts' as opposed to praying. And actually, I would be more apt to pray for your son or neighbor or someone you actually know than to pray for 'the troops' - it's more personal and I feel you have a stake in asking me to do so.

I don't have problems with folks asking for prayers for their loved ones. Mind you, that could end up being a big chunk of a forum since so many folks need prayers. I know that there are a lot of forums designed specifically to accept prayer requests. Flylady even had one - it could still be there.

LadyA : Couldn't you somehow have inserted a question like "is it OK to pray for homosexual troops in Iraq?" to make the thread a little more explosive??!! :p

Anyway, whatever you do seems to be OK if it doesn't cause anyone harm, and I don't see how asking anyone to pray for anything could be only annoying at its worst extreme.

I do find it annoying however, when those that appear detached from the reality of any situation pretend to have so much emotional investment for a particular situation that they are compelled not only to "pray" about it themselves, but also to solicit prayers from others.

I've found priests are most guilty of this.

I think that asking for prayers isn't neccesarily asking for a series of demands directed towards God, but a request for support (whether you believe in God or not) from a community.

HokeyReligions

I'm agnostic, but I have no problem with someone asking for prayers -- even asking me for prayers. :D (I'll send happy thoughts that may qualify as prayers of a sort) ;)

I think its probably one of the most sincere, honest, and undemanding ways of reaching out and asking for help there is, and reaching out is something we all need to do sometimes.

• Author

Thank you so much for your honest replies. And I knew I could count on you, Mr. Spock. ;)

To those of you who are willing to pray or think positive thoughts, our troops need it. My son John needs it. My nephew Kevin needs it. I would greatly appreciate it.

And thanks for the kind words, Hokey. You're right, and every little thing helps.

If anyone is interested in what specifically is going on with my son and nephew, I'd be glad to send you news articles.

Thanks for your support.

Is it okay to ask people -- even virtual strangers, but people you talk to, say, on a forum -- to pray for your son and other men and women in the military who are in Iraq?

I don't see anything wrong with asking people to pray for your loved ones.

To those of you who are willing to pray or think positive thoughts, our troops need it. My son John needs it. My nephew Kevin needs it. I would greatly appreciate it.

They'll be in my prayers. :love:

I have had people tell me, "there's not much I can do BUT I can pray...." to me that is the most important thing they could do!!

I never hesitate to ask for prayer when needed! I've seen prayer work when no rhyme or reason it or anything should have. Plus, it's a comfort!!

By the way, your son John and nephew Kevin are in my prayers!

I will love to pray for them LadyAngel :) and I am always here to support you if needed, I know you have been dealing with this for quite some time and hope that each day get's a little eaiser for you.

(((((( BIG HUGS)))))))))

Heather